Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rear Rack Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 08:36 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rear Rack Issues

I have big feet, and seem to always have troubles with heel strike when I use a rear rack with panniers. I recently bought a set of Nashbar euro-compact panniers, figuring that smaller means more clearance. I mounted them for a recent ride, as far back on the rack as I could, and still had heal strike. I did look after the fact, and I think I may actually do better by mounting them backwards, but I don't know if it will work, or if the lower connector will just pull the panniers forward.

Anyway, after all of that prelude, I am curious if anyone has any information on longer racks and/or contraptions available to move a rack backward. I usually pack too much stuff with me, but I only do day trips, so the rack doesn't need to be heavy enough for loaded touring. I usually have a full trunk bag with tools, tubes, inflation kits, food and other incidentals, and only really need the panniers on cooler days when I alternate between wearing and packing a jacket etc.

I do have some ideas for fabricating a lower bracket using both the rack and fender eyelets to let me extend back an inch or so, but I know me, that is less likely to happen than buying a solution.

Any ideas?

My bike is a 2003 Giant Sedona in case that matters.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-22-13, 10:03 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I use the Jandd Expedition rack and it seems to mount the panniers a bit further back. Also what is your chainstay length? I have had some bikes that were really short and it didn't matter what you did, you were going to have heel strike, on one of those bikes I used a rack top bag and front panniers.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-22-13, 10:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cant see or supervise your set up , can you (actually) fabricate your own modifications?

the other way to get clearance is move Higher . might get adequate space with a seat post beam rack

or put spacer- brackets under the bottom mount of the rack to bring it Up.

Racks like Tubus Logo, offer a bit more rearward location

(+ bags with a hook set that adjust via slots, such as Ortlieb [I use that combination])

or maybe consider another bike with longer chainstays AkA.. "touring" ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-22-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-22-13, 10:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...82546518787251

Old 10-23-13, 09:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Heel strike is one of the reasons touring bikes typically have longer chain stays (up to 1.5" more!).

If you get Ortlieb panniers, many models will allow you to shift the rack attachments to move the bag back on your rack.

If you're not carrying too much, you might get a trunk rack to work for you.