Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-14, 10:00 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I don't know, do you?
(Psst! I think that's his point...)
Old 07-20-14, 10:00 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
So if the 144 fellow countrymen wore helmets on the plane, they would have survived right?

or only if they crashed in the usa?
No, serious, he cray-cray.
Old 07-20-14, 10:12 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Statistics prove that helmets reduce the chance of serious head trauma. That is true. I'm completely satisfied with the data.

Statistics prove that helmets don't reduce risk enough to be worth insisting on let alone requiring while in many ordinary activities such as cycling. Same statistics, same data.
Old 07-20-14, 11:23 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Statistics prove that helmets reduce the chance of serious head trauma. That is true. I'm completely satisfied with the data.

Statistics prove that helmets don't reduce risk enough to be worth insisting on let alone requiring while in many ordinary activities such as cycling. Same statistics, same data.
wearing a helmet makes you a roadie, and cagers hate roadies, voila, gone is any form of magical safety
Old 07-20-14, 11:42 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
wearing a helmet makes you a roadie, and cagers hate roadies, voila, gone is any form of magical safety

They can hate all they want as long as they don't hit me. Or take unnecessary risks of hitting me.

I know that you're being ironic, but I've abandoned the idea of trying to manipulate drivers with whatever facade I present. The dangerous ones are all on the fringe somehow so they're all set off by something different.

When I do wear a helmet it's not from fear of collisions with vehicles. It's hitting the rock or curb, or something else that I couldn't anticipate or avoid.
Old 07-20-14, 12:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I like the one that claims that Cowboys "of yesteryear" would have worn riding helmets if they'd known enough about it
Datz Right. Any Real Smart Cowboy™ knows to wear protective equipment, "just in case," ya know what I mean, eh?

Old 07-20-14, 12:35 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Of course you know that unless you are riding a bike when employed by a employer subject to OSHA oversight, OSHA had no authority nor standing in recreational cycling. ( I know you do realize that, but thats not the first time I have seen OSHA brought up as to the necessity of bicycle helmet wearing).
Old 07-20-14, 12:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Of course you know that unless you are riding a bike when employed by a employer subject to OSHA oversight, OSHA had no authority nor standing in recreational cycling. ( I know you do realize that, but thats not the first time I have seen OSHA brought up as to the necessity of bicycle helmet wearing).
That was an old anti-OSHA cartoon that had nothing to do with cowboys or helmets. A simple parody and nothing else.

Meanwhile, to my knowledge OSHA has not taken a position either way regarding bicycle helmets(in commercial/employment situations. Some localities, such as NYC, have written licensing, signage and/or helmet rules for commercial cycling, such as delivery bikes and messengers. I don't know about elsewhere, but in NYC it had little to do with promoting workplace/rider safety and more to do with to issues of "crazy outlaw cyclists" making streets and sidewalks unsafe for pedestrians.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-20-14, 01:00 PM
howsteepisit

Oh, I know what the cartoon was/is Frank.
Old 07-20-14, 01:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Yes I am well aware of OSHA's authority. The parody is on the super nanny mindset of not just some imaginary nuthouse OSHA overlords, but of the numerous "just to be safe ninnies/nannies" who express views presumably based on the same hyper risk adverse, risk analysis ignorant mindset.
Old 07-20-14, 01:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Oh, I know what the cartoon was/is Frank.
That was just by way of an opening. The thrust of my post is that OSHA has no rule mandating helmet use for bicycles in the workplace. (as you pointed out, OSHA has no authority beyond the workplace).

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-20-14, 01:13 PM
howsteepisit

But OSHA does have a general applicability clause that allows them to enforce standards that are not explicit. Neither here nor there, I am in almost total agreement with both you and iliketobike 99% of the time.

I'll drop this one now, as my intent was clearly not effectively communicated, not was it aimed at iliketobike.
Old 07-20-14, 02:07 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12782 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That was just by way of an opening. The thrust of my post is that OSHA has no rule mandating helmet use for bicycles in the workplace. (as you pointed out, OSHA has no authority beyond the workplace).
Good. We wouldn't want OSHA to shut down Google.

Old 07-20-14, 10:21 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
So if the 144 fellow countrymen wore helmets on the plane, they would have survived right?

or only if they crashed in the usa?
Wow, talk about a pure lack of comprehension, you really take the cake on that.
Old 07-21-14, 06:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Re the OSHA cowboy. This is what will become of cycling if the nanny state loonies get involved. They of course are for MHLs. Among the reasons for cyclist to wear helmets is the fact it wards off nanny state b'crats. If a good percentage of intelligent cyclist wear helmets, the overbearing, controlling b'crats will look else where.
Old 07-21-14, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Among the reasons for cyclist to wear helmets is the fact it wards off nanny state b'crats.
addressed to that argument ~

Here, take the cake. Or as we say in the UK, take the biscuit.

If a good percentage of intelligent cyclist wear helmets, the overbearing, controlling b'crats will look else where.
Once again, intelligence is correlated with helmet-wearing. Perhaps it's true; I don't wear one, and I make no claims to enhanced mental ability. On the other hand...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
geniuscert.jpg (89.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 905; 07-22-14 at 11:50 AM. Reason: thinking about opening a cake stand
Old 07-21-14, 11:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
905If you think that, apparently it doesnt in England.
Old 07-21-14, 01:25 PM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I started a thread just to ask why all the helmet threads were closed...and my thread was closed after just 9 posts. It didn't even last 24 hours. Are people so scared of the subject that you can't even ask why they are scared**********?

I was actually chastised by another poster because I am not a frequent poster on the site. As much as I would like to stay online and talk about bicycles all the time, I am a full-time musician and writer, and I travel a lot. I don't always have access to a computer or Wi-Fi, and when I do, I am usually having to take care of business. Are all my threads going to be closed because I can't post every few days?
Old 07-21-14, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent
905If you think that, apparently it doesnt in England.
My understanding is that the more cyclists wear helmets, the greater the likelihood the powers that be would consider passing a law. I haven't found a source to back this up, but I remember reading it somewhere (lame, I know).

See also this, which I can't remember if I've linked to before.

As to the argument which had me visiting the bakery, it struck me that to wear a helmet to keep from having to wear a helmet is a curious way of promoting helmet use. It reminds me of museums (like the great British Museum in London) that are free, but ask for donations to keep them free. In that case I can forgive the logic, as it is like a culture tax which you're free to pay, or not, as the philanthropic spirit moves you. Applied to helmets, I'm not so pleased, as while I don't care what other people wear, any pressure to push helmets on people is pressure I want to resist.

Last edited by 905; 07-21-14 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-21-14, 02:29 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
I started a thread just to ask why all the helmet threads were closed...and my thread was closed after just 9 posts. It didn't even last 24 hours. Are people so scared of the subject that you can't even ask why they are scared**********?

I was actually chastised by another poster because I am not a frequent poster on the site. As much as I would like to stay online and talk about bicycles all the time, I am a full-time musician and writer, and I travel a lot. I don't always have access to a computer or Wi-Fi, and when I do, I am usually having to take care of business. Are all my threads going to be closed because I can't post every few days?
Discounting the personal criticism, you were given reasons why these threads are invariably closed, both by myself and others including a moderator. After that there was no reason to keep it open.

Feel free to talk about helmets here, but don't whine about discussions elsewhere being closed.

We don't all like various forum policies, but it's not our forum. Such is life in the big city.

BTW- it's not that anybody is afraid of the subject, just scroll through the 300+ pages here and see the diversity and strength of opinions on every aspect of helmets. Feel free to add your voice about helmets, or fear of discussing them, but don't add to the noise and rancor elsewhere on the forum.

Old 07-21-14, 03:17 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Just for kicks I think I'm going to start a thread in "Commuters" entitled "Helmet Thread". Here's what I will post:
I have a cotton helmet cover that has torn along a seam. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best type of thread to use for repair?
Old 07-21-14, 06:28 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Just for kicks I think I'm going to start a thread in "Commuters" entitled "Helmet Thread". Here's what I will post:
Yes, fishing monofilament would be the best because it has some softness and give to it for impact resistance and yet stronger than normal cotton or nylon threat which would hold the the cover together better under impact duress.
Old 07-22-14, 02:23 AM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Use Spider Wire fishing line. It is a Co-Polymer line that is almost indestructible.
Old 07-22-14, 02:34 AM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

I think my question was mis-understood. I was not necessarily complaining about rapidly closing threads involving helmets, but merely the underlying factors involved. Let me clarify my query. Why is the subject of helmets so viciously polarizing...so much so that merely asking a question about it generates a firestorm? In the US, at least, most states do not have any mandatory helmet laws, so it is not a requirement in most locales, except maybe for some sanctioned events. As far as I know, there is not even a great push for any helmet laws. At present, it is purely a personal choice. If you want to wear one, feel free. If you don't, well, that's OK as well. So why does everyone get so bent out of shape over the mere mention of helmets? I think it is an interesting psychological phenomena.

That was what I meant.......

I have to admit, I was a little miffed at my thread being closed after just 9 responses, in less than 24 hours. I thought that was a bit extreme, but it just goes back to the question itself. What is it about helmets that generates so much ferocity?

Last edited by Schwinnhund; 07-22-14 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-22-14, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
What is it about helmets that generates so much ferocity?
I don't know the answer, other than that questions of personal liberty are always hot topics (which is a good thing IMO), but I think those who run and moderate the forum keep it contained to one thread precisely because they recognise that it's a contentious subject which can quickly set fire to any thread it touches. I would guess that they also regard more than one thread to be almost pointless, and likely to engulf the Advocacy & Safety forum with countless brushfires.

Last edited by 905; 07-22-14 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Smokey the Bear wears a hat, but that's because it shows his rank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.