Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Breathing Mask & Presciption Glasses what works?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 10:03 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

Has anyone solved the issue of wearing prescription glasses along with a breathing mask for winter riding?

While the mask will address the issue of keeping air moist and not ending up with bronchial/nasal issues, there's then the issue of keeping the glasses unfogged so you can see.

Is there a magic trade off where you can both keep breathing and see while wearing your prescription glasses and breathing mask?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 12-05-19, 10:56 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Do you have an anti-fogg coating on your prescription glasses? This also helps prevent your glasses from fogging up when going from the outside to inside too.
Old 12-05-19, 12:11 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I don't normally run into problems with cold dry air above about 20F. Below that, you can try a balaclava, breathe through your mouth and leave your nose exposed.
Old 12-06-19, 05:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
Has anyone solved the issue of wearing prescription glasses along with a breathing mask for winter riding?

While the mask will address the issue of keeping air moist and not ending up with bronchial/nasal issues, there's then the issue of keeping the glasses unfogged so you can see.

Is there a magic trade off where you can both keep breathing and see while wearing your prescription glasses and breathing mask?

Thanks for your thoughts.
FWIW I have often posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system:

I realize now that my goggles and face mask are actually an integrated system of heating and ventilation that keeps my face warm and my vision unencumbered by fogging.

The windscreen of the goggles is so effective in keeping my eyes warm that my eyelids actually perspired because my central core body was so warm, and my eyes never got cold, even on those fast windswept downhill runs.
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:…
"Colder weather - glasses fog up issue."

I perenially post my approach to the problem, most recently on the Winter Cycling Forum. Considering how frequently this question arises I have also frequently posted: ...including a dispute with the dishsoap / spit solution.

And I look forward to trying this newly-posted solution:
Originally Posted by scoatw
I use an old Iditarod trick I saw back in 09 of Jay Petervary,a veteran rider of the 1000 mi trip to Nome. In addition to wearing a balaclava, I cover my nose and cheeks with a fleece headband. This gives my breath an opening to escape without going up my goggles when covered with the balaclava.

This is my 11th winter of daily commuting. I always had fogging problems below 10'f. I used it at 0'f and it worked great.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-06-19 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added photos