Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Tires

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Tires

Old 10-25-19, 10:06 PM
Raptor1956

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
New Tires

I blew out the sidewall bead on my rear wheel today and am in need of a replacement. The Current kit has Continental Vectran Breaker 700x23C and I think I'd like to increase that to a 700x25C but wonder what other tire options are out there in this class. SO, obviously a clincher and it is to be mounted on a Trek Madone 4.7 with Velocity Deep V rim with 32 blade spokes. The rim should be good from 19 to 28mm so 25mm is OK.

Looking at the Continental line the Grand Prox 5000 looks suitable and Amazon has them for $90USD for a pair of them. I need to get something quick as I'm dead in the water right now. Any other brands worth looking at?

Brian
Old 10-26-19, 12:25 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor1956
Any other brands worth looking at?

Brian
Brian,

Are you looking to save money or spend money?

One thing to mention,.. Are your carbon rims eating the bead? If so then it might limit you to the tires you can put on those rims.

If not...
Competitive Cyclist has the Vittoria CX Open clinchers for around 30$. They ride like a dream but dont hold up as well but are cheap enough to make it worth the spend. The newer G2/G3 Corsas might hold up better but are pricey. I've also got a set of the Rubino Pro G+ tires and those ride pretty good, not quite as supple as the corsas, but hold up much better.

If you want to stick with continental then get the 5000s.

Vittoria and Continental are all I ride these days. Some guys swear by schwalbe but I've got 2 sets hanging with all kinds of issues and stopped buying them and just use them on the trainer now. I have also have had issues with hutchinson tires.

-Sean
Old 10-26-19, 12:39 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I'd go with Vittorias or Veloflex. I have never liked the GP4000s and against my better judgement, my LBS convinced me to try out GP5000s. They just dont "feel" as supple or soft as Vittorias or Veloflex.

(Obviously, this isnt a scientific, double-blind test, and there is always the possibility of confirmation bias affecting my opinion).
Old 10-26-19, 07:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
A nice tire for the price. A bit more durable than 5000s, good all-round tire:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=1&minor=27
Old 10-26-19, 08:06 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
IMO, it is hard to beat Vittoria Rubino Pro for the price and quality combination. Good ride, good traction, good mileage, low weight, lots of sizes. What's not to like?
Old 10-26-19, 12:16 PM
Raptor1956

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
Brian,

Are you looking to save money or spend money?

One thing to mention,.. Are your carbon rims eating the bead? If so then it might limit you to the tires you can put on those rims.

If not...

Competitive Cyclist has the Vittoria CX Open clinchers for around 30$. They ride like a dream but dont hold up as well but are cheap enough to make it worth the spend. The newer G2/G3 Corsas might hold up better but are pricey. I've also got a set of the Rubino Pro G+ tires and those ride pretty good, not quite as supple as the corsas, but hold up much better.

If you want to stick with continental then get the 5000s.

Vittoria and Continental are all I ride these days. Some guys swear by schwalbe but I've got 2 sets hanging with all kinds of issues and stopped buying them and just use them on the trainer now. I have also have had issues with hutchinson tires.

-Sean

My rims are aluminum, not CF. I'm not looking to spend more or to go cheap, just wanted some feedback on the options. On my previous road bike, a Canondale Aluminum I can't remember the model, I ran tubulars and never, I mean never had a flat and never had a tire roll off the rim -- as I recall they were Victoria Corsa but that was 30 years ago so my memory may be off a bit.

I don't know what type of tires I'd opt for today as so much has changed, but I would dearly love to have the reliability the tubulars gave me back in the day. Of course, the conditions are different where I live now and I have to believe I'd have had a few flats with the tubulars given the barb like plant materials we have here in the Salt Lake City area versus upstate NY -- the roads were better in NY as well.

Brian
Old 10-26-19, 12:27 PM
Raptor1956

Originally Posted by delbiker1
IMO, it is hard to beat Vittoria Rubino Pro for the price and quality combination. Good ride, good traction, good mileage, low weight, lots of sizes. What's not to like?

Thanks, checked them out and I might give them a shot -- I need two though so looking for a deal on two.

Brian
Old 10-26-19, 09:19 PM
Raptor1956

Well I just remembered I had an old set of wheels before the Powertap SL+ and it had a Bontrager RaceXLite 700x23C so I just threw that on my rim and will hopefully do another ride tomorrow. Still plan on getting a set of new tires but this will get me going until I do.

Brian
Old 10-27-19, 09:20 PM
geckodudes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I hop on this thread? Need new tires 700x25 or 28, was looking at the rubino pro III's. I'm commuting with my bike, roads are a little rough but I'm not planning on driving over all the potholes ect. Looking for good value and hopefully around 70 for a pair or something like that. Anybody got any other recommendations? Most important thing for me is reliability and longevity, and then grip.
Old 10-27-19, 09:58 PM
cecu

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
also throwing in the pirelli velo p zero in the mix.
I've recently purchased a pair (25mm, blue) and they're doing great.

Pirelli is reasonably new to the bycicle tire market but I was pleasantly surprised with them.
Old 10-27-19, 10:16 PM
geckodudes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seem pretty good, interesting situation on amazon in that they're around the same price, the PZero 28 and the Pro III 25, might get the PZero just so I can run a little cushier. Also was looking at the continental gator hardshells now that I'm in this price point. Seems like that decision can't really go wrong.

bicyclerollingresistance . com/road-bike-reviews/compare/pirelli-p-zero-velo-2017-vs-vittoria-rubino-pro-iii-2014

EDIT:

competitivecyclist . com/vittoria-rubino-pro-3-tire?skidn=VIT0033-BK-S23&ti=UExQIENhdDpCaWtlIFRpcmVzOjE6MzpjY0NhdDEwMDQ1OA==
Found this deal think I'm gonna pounce on two, seems like a sweet deal

Last edited by geckodudes; 10-27-19 at 10:49 PM. Reason: More options
Old 10-30-19, 02:55 PM
vlad1xxi

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Try www.merlincycles.com. Bought there around 2 months ago set of Rubino Pro G2.0 with tubes for very reasonable price.

Last edited by vlad1xxi; 10-30-19 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-30-19, 03:03 PM
geckodudes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vlad1xxi
Try www.merlincycles.com. Bought there around 2 months ago set of Rubino Pro G2.0 with tubes for very reasonable price.
Ended up getting the Rubino Pro III's for 22.50 each, free shipping cause I bought a front light I needed anyways. Thanks though!
Old 10-30-19, 03:25 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
You just missed a pair of 5K's at PBK for $75. Similar deals can be had if your not in a hurry.
Old 10-30-19, 03:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor1956
I blew out the sidewall bead on my rear wheel today and am in need of a replacement. The Current kit has Continental Vectran Breaker 700x23C and I think I'd like to increase that to a 700x25C but wonder what other tire options are out there in this class. SO, obviously a clincher and it is to be mounted on a Trek Madone 4.7 with Velocity Deep V rim with 32 blade spokes. The rim should be good from 19 to 28mm so 25mm is OK.

Looking at the Continental line the Grand Prox 5000 looks suitable and Amazon has them for $90USD for a pair of them. I need to get something quick as I'm dead in the water right now. Any other brands worth looking at?

Brian
Amazon gets half my deliveries late and I'm in downtown Seattle. The more important it is to get something on time, the more chance it'll be late. Buy them locally.
Old 10-30-19, 05:43 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
You just missed a pair of 5K's at PBK for $75. Similar deals can be had if your not in a hurry.
Or stay in the US, Excel sports has a 2-pack at $78 (but you'll have to add some peripherals if you want to get to $99 free shipping threshold).
Old 10-30-19, 09:02 PM
vlad1xxi

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations for good tires! Nevertheless I guess pair of Rubino Pro G2.0 with tubes is better deal.

Last edited by vlad1xxi; 10-30-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-31-19, 08:10 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Are all 5K's tubeless, or are there two different models? One tubeless and one tubed?
Old 10-31-19, 04:48 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Are all 5K's tubeless, or are there two different models? One tubeless and one tubed?
Both. A tubeless version and a tubed.
Old 11-06-19, 06:04 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
If your just looking to try a new tire, I would recommend the Schwalbe pro ones. I’ve had a couple sets and they seem to be fast, smooth and supple. Knock on wood, I’ve only had 1 flat in 3k miles and they was before I switched to tubeless.
Old 11-06-19, 07:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
If your just looking to try a new tire, I would recommend the Schwalbe pro ones. I’ve had a couple sets and they seem to be fast, smooth and supple. Knock on wood, I’ve only had 1 flat in 3k miles and they was before I switched to tubeless.
If you haven't seen yet, a new Pro One has been recently released. The old Pro One will stick around with a lower MSRP, but move down one tier under the One TLE name and it gets the new Addix compound; I haven't looked recently, but the "old" Pro One might be available at a good price as vendors clear out the old to make room for the new.