Search this Thread

Old 11-17-19, 07:08 PM
JoshuaTSR

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Homegrown FS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I got hit last Thursday while riding to work. Banged up but nothing broken but my vintage schwinn typhoon is destroyed. Lady ran a stop sign and broadsided me. Glad I was wearing my helmet and backpack.
Old 11-18-19, 02:44 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowridr
Any good rides from the Vegas strip? I know about red rock and will probably be doing that again. Anything else?

I left the snow behind in Toronto and doing a little cycling vacation in Santa Monica right now. Headed to Vegas for a few days. Unfortunately I'm returning rental car so will have to leave from the Vegas strip. Love red rock. Done it a few times. I'm guessing that's my only choice

Was looking at Mt Charleston. How is it. Worth getting a rental for a day and driving out? Looks like a serious ride. How's the decent?
pretty boring ascent. road's end is pretty but it's a slog until then. descent is mostly straight but it's fast and potentially subject to some unruly crosswinds.
avoid it on the weekend if you can. if you can't, go at dawn. personally, i'd ride red rock state park and/or valley of fire state park and/or hwy 169-northshore dr
that skirts the western edge of lake mead south of valley of fire state park to hwy 147-lake mead blvd. lake mead blvd takes you to/from metro las vegas
fairly directly. again, a weekday is better if you can swing it. plan on 30 miles one way of zero support and supplies. desert scenic tho. valley of fire state park
doesn't have much in terms of roads but the ones it does have are pretty scenic with a few little out of the saddle climbs. definitely worth hitting and bring your camera/phone.

now the hiking around and on mt. charleston/charleston peak is fantastic but that's another thread.

Last edited by diphthong; 11-18-19 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-02-20, 07:14 PM
Durockrolly

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I know this was posted a year and a half ago but I live in North Las Vegas. I ride a comfort bike and take daily leisurely rides. If you're still around and interested give me a holler.
Old 03-02-20, 07:36 PM
Durockrolly

Leisure rides.

I'm an old guy in North Las Vegas with a comfort bike. Have truck, will travel. Let's ride!
Old 03-27-20, 09:42 AM
JoshuaTSR

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Durockrolly
I'm an old guy in North Las Vegas with a comfort bike. Have truck, will travel. Let's ride!
Are you down for a cruise Las Vegas BLVD right now during this social distancing? The strip is barren right now so we can have the entire street.
Old 03-28-20, 12:48 PM
Durockrolly

Originally Posted by JoshuaTSR
Are you down for a cruise Las Vegas BLVD right now during this social distancing? The strip is barren right now so we can have the entire street.
Sorry. I just now saw this post. I'm an old guy with a slow comfort bike but I'm always down for a ride. I was down there on one of my motorcycles the other day and eerie.
Old 03-29-20, 08:55 AM
JoshuaTSR

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Durockrolly
Sorry. I just now saw this post. I'm an old guy with a slow comfort bike but I'm always down for a ride. I was down there on one of my motorcycles the other day and eerie.
perfect riding conditions for us down there. I need some pics of my old bike on the strip.
Old 03-29-20, 12:13 PM
Durockrolly

perfect riding conditions for us down there. I need some pics of my old bike on the strip.
I live in North Las Vegas and am available just about any time. Like I mentioned though, I'm old, slow and on a comfort bike. If you're looking for something fast paced, I'm not the one.otherwise, I'm down!
Likes For Durockrolly:
Old 04-06-20, 02:20 PM
JoshuaTSR

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Shoot me a PM because I can't yet hehe. Any morning is fine with me except Sunday's.
Old 04-07-20, 07:59 AM
JoshuaTSR

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm slow hahaha, I'm only fast going down hill
Likes For JoshuaTSR:
Old 04-15-20, 11:32 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Groovy chain Josh!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-20-20, 02:28 PM
JoshuaTSR

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Groovy chain Josh!
I did it to match my yellow 3 ring kickback hub, I'm a geek like that.
Old 04-20-20, 02:31 PM
JoshuaTSR

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My daughter and I rode our old mountain bikes down the NLV wash ride. We went over I15, LV Blvd, Cheyenne and stopped at Pecos and Lake Mead. What a cool path trail. 100 smooth, a few bugs aka protein while riding, saw a few homeless people but they weren't on the pathway, crews out removing graffiti, saw a urban waterfall and had a great ride. 2 thumbs up NLV and LV for creating such a nice ride.
Old 04-21-20, 12:38 PM
Daspydyr 

My daughter and I rode our old mountain bikes down the NLV wash ride. We went over I15, LV Blvd, Cheyenne and stopped at Pecos and Lake Mead. What a cool path trail. 100 smooth, a few bugs aka protein while riding, saw a few homeless people but they weren't on the pathway, crews out removing graffiti, saw a urban waterfall and had a great ride. 2 thumbs up NLV and LV for creating such a nice ride.
Growing up I loved those kickback hubs on my StingRay Schwinn. I enjoy the trails that Clark County has put together. I am in Henderson and like those routes. Right now I am grounded from an old guy surgery for a couple of weeks. I might get up to your neighborhood someday.

Old 04-22-20, 11:24 AM
JoshuaTSR

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Growing up I loved those kickback hubs on my StingRay Schwinn. I enjoy the trails that Clark County has put together. I am in Henderson and like those routes. Right now I am grounded from an old guy surgery for a couple of weeks. I might get up to your neighborhood someday.
Dang too bad we couldn't have met in the middle somewhere on the trail. I'm moving this Saturday down to Tucson and I hope that they have some good trails like this was ride.
Old 04-27-20, 12:57 PM
Daspydyr 

Dang too bad we couldn't have met in the middle somewhere on the trail. I'm moving this Saturday down to Tucson and I hope that they have some good trails like this was ride.
Hey Josh, I hope the move went good for you. I did get 30 miles in this weekend. Biggest ride for me in 2020. I hope goes well in your new neighborhood.