Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Mountain bike conversion

Old 08-24-19, 10:53 AM
RPK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain bike conversion

Hello group,
I have a Trek 960 mountain bike that I’ve had for years. I have hybrid (fairly wide) tires and only ride the back roads. I have wrist pain when I ride. Is it possible to raise the handle bars up? I would like to keep my bike and not buy a new one. Thanks for any help
RPK
Old 08-27-19, 12:44 PM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I did just that on my Novara. I essentially took a 26x1.9 hardtail MTB and made it into something more like a dual sport. I also changed the grips to ergonomic types (with a palm swell). The guys at my local bike shop keep trying to get me to buy a new bike. I've had this one for 17 years but only 10-12 in its current configuration.

Lousy photo but you'll get the idea.

Old 08-27-19, 01:34 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
On what comes up on a quick pic search, I’m seeing Trek 960 with both quill stems and aheadset stems.
Raising the bars is doable on both, but methods vary.
Post a pic or do some homework on what yours is and let us know for further guidance.
In the pic posted by CSG, it’s an aheadset type stem.
Old 09-12-19, 07:46 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK
Hello group,
I have a Trek 960 mountain bike that I’ve had for years. I have hybrid (fairly wide) tires and only ride the back roads. I have wrist pain when I ride. Is it possible to raise the handle bars up? I would like to keep my bike and not buy a new one. Thanks for any help
RPK
You likely can raise your stem upward and get your handlebars where you're comfortable. Had to do this to my Trek 800 Sport Singletrack.
Old 09-13-19, 01:14 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
For solving wrist pain, you should try ergonomic grips or other shapes of handlebar. Try standing over the bike (while stationary); lightly rest your palms on the grips and let your arms and wrists totally relax. Then find a handlebar that lets your hands be in that position.
Likes For OneIsAllYouNeed: