Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Jamis releases the most exciting Hybrid/Urban bike since the Giant Toughroad

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Jamis releases the most exciting Hybrid/Urban bike since the Giant Toughroad

Old 02-21-20, 03:08 PM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I personally think the Sequel is priced a little high, but it's also a nice bike using premium materials. From a materials and construction perspective, it's very similar to their Coda Elite bike. Both use Reynolds 520 butted steel frames. The Sequel uses a steel fork whereas the Coda's fork is carbon. Both bikes use Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and Shimano Deore drivetrains. The Sequel uses a 1x10 drivetrain whereas the Coda uses a 3x9 drivetrain. The Sequel is nearly $1,100 and the Coda Elite is nearly $1,000.

The Sequel has only one grade, whereas you can buy various grades of Coda. The Elite is compared above, but you can also buy the S1/Comp (~$800), the S2/Sport (~$600), and the S3/base model (~$430).

There are other bikes in this category that are priced similarly. One example is the Surly Bridge Club. It's also a full steel bike with similar geometry (though with slightly more of a touring/bikepacking twist). On the other hand, you can get something like the Raleigh Redux for about half the cost of the Jamis Sequel. It, too, is a fully rigid bike with 584mm wheels (also called 27.5" or 650B) and a 1x drivetrain. The Redux's frame is aluminum and the components aren't as nice...but it's also half the cost.

It's great to have choices!
I owned the Redux 2 prior to my Sequel. I couldn't believe how easily the light branches on our local single track scratched up the frame and forks. The paint job is shameful. The Sequel does cost more but it's been bulletproof and it's noticeably more stable on rough gravel whereas the Redux rattles and feels loose. Keep it on tarmac and the Redux is probably a fine choice.
Old 02-21-20, 04:31 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
It's a shame to hear about the paint quality on the Redux. I own a few bikes from the Accel family (Raleigh and Redline, currently), and I've found the paint quality to be quite good. Both of mine have a gloss finish, though, with a clearcoat over the decals. I think many Redux models have a matte finish, and perhaps that finish isn't very durable. Did your Redux have a matte finish?
Old 02-24-20, 08:26 AM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
It's a shame to hear about the paint quality on the Redux. I own a few bikes from the Accel family (Raleigh and Redline, currently), and I've found the paint quality to be quite good. Both of mine have a gloss finish, though, with a clearcoat over the decals. I think many Redux models have a matte finish, and perhaps that finish isn't very durable. Did your Redux have a matte finish?
Yes, you're correct. It was their matte yellow color.