Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

650B X 42ish NYC tire

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

650B X 42ish NYC tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-20, 09:42 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
650B X 42ish NYC tire

I love the WTB Horizons that came on my Super Professional but they're too big to fit under fenders. Any suggestions would be great.

Need:
- 42 or smaller actual width to fit under fenders (my beloved city is a cesspool and there's always garbage juice along 1st Ave)
- Puncture resistant (again, cesspool)

Want:
- Tan or reflective sidewall
- Minimal tread

What's caught my eye:
- Gravel King slicks -- seem well liked
- Vittoria Randonneur -- not super fast but I've got them on my other two (700c) bikes and have never gotten a flat
- Fatty Rumpkins Stout -- maybe it's just the name
- Schwalbe Marathon -- kinda OG dependable bulletproof city tires by all reports

Just looking at regular clinchers. May move over to tubeless at some point, but winter's no time to experiment.

Last edited by Wendell F; 02-01-20 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Fleshed out needs, etc.
Old 02-02-20, 10:01 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Get a wider set of fenders?

-Kedosto
*got nuthin’*
Old 02-02-20, 11:54 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
HA! Specs say 42 max with fenders, so that's sadly not an option. Guess I'll just pick at random and see what works. I've combed through the many tire threads here and only the Marathons are fairly uncontroversially recognized as bomb-proof city tires so I'll probably start there.
Old 02-02-20, 12:29 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Schwalbe Supreme 42-584 (27.5 x 1.60).
Old 02-03-20, 02:25 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Can't go wrong with Panaracer Gravelkings; run tubes for now and preserve the option to switch to tubeless in the future at your leisure
Old 02-03-20, 03:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I ride in NYC and only get two or three flats a year, maybe fewer. How many are you getting? I ride tires with no puncture protection because I don't want to sacrifice ride quality.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-03-20, 03:19 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I ride in NYC and only get two or three flats a year, maybe fewer. How many are you getting? I ride tires with no puncture protection because I don't want to sacrifice ride quality.
Are you running those super fragile paper thin Rene Herse tires in NYC?

Old 02-03-20, 03:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
And, what is so different about riding bikes in NYC that requires mention at every chance? It's like someone saying "I'm looking for a fast and durable commuting tire. Also I'm a vegan."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-03-20, 03:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by tyrion

Haha, no, but it's something I might do. I'd be more likely to do if they're wide. I tried 22mm Veloflex tires, and they didn't last long at all.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-04-20, 07:59 PM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Answers to your questions:

I don't get tons of flats on now, but I also haven't ever run 650B tires before. 700x28 tires will tend to be run at higher pressure than 650x42's so I thought that some tires may work differently in 650 than their 700 counterparts. I've done great on my 700c bikes with Vittoria Randonneurs (two flats in three years) but if there's something more supple that's reliable in lower pressure I'd gladly move that way.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
And, what is so different about riding bikes in NYC that requires mention at every chance? It's like someone saying "I'm looking for a fast and durable commuting tire. Also I'm a vegan."
I mention NYC because different cities have different hazards. If I lived in Arizona and had to contend with goat heads everywhere I think that'd be relevant to mention. Hell, Seattle is just as much a city as NYC but I had to switch out my Compass tires for something tougher when I left there and moved back east. NYC is all crappy streets, construction sites and glass EVERYWHERE, especially on my commute up 1st Ave and down 2nd Ave -- lots of bottle throwing vagrants around Sara Roosevelt Park apparently.

Last edited by Wendell F; 02-04-20 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-04-20, 08:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Wendell F
I mention NYC because different cities have different hazards. If I lived in Arizona and had to contend with goat heads everywhere I think that'd be relevant to mention. Hell, Seattle is just as much a city as NYC but I had to switch out my Compass tires for something tougher when I left there and moved back east. NYC is all crappy streets, construction sites and glass EVERYWHERE.
So if potholes, construction debris, and glass are the problem, why not just say that? Might help other people answer the question, and the answers might be helpful for people outside of the "shout-out" zone.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-04-20, 08:22 PM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
So if potholes, construction debris, and glass are the problem, why not just say that? Might help other people answer the question, and the answers might be helpful for people outside of the "shout-out" zone.
Ha! Very fair, no winky emoji needed.

Anyways, I'm going with the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes and worst case scenario I hate them and try something else. Got to work stinking of garbage spray today and I gotta get fenders on this bike ASAP.
Likes For Wendell F:
Old 02-06-20, 02:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Wider tires run on lower pressure. Lower pressure means glass doesn't push as hard into the tread and therefore do so less frequently. Not only that, when you get a puncture, it takes longer to lose all your air. I once had a puncture that I didn't fix until I got home since it didn't hinder me much.

I do see broken glass in the streets but long ago, it was much worse. The thing that changed it was the mandatory deposit law on bottles and cans in the 80s. I don't see all that much glass. Maybe I'm able to steer between the shards. And maybe my streets are different from yours.

Likes For noglider:
Old 02-08-20, 09:22 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I do see broken glass in the streets but long ago, it was much worse. The thing that changed it was the mandatory deposit law on bottles and cans in the 80s. I don't see all that much glass. Maybe I'm able to steer between the shards. And maybe my streets are different from yours.
Glass is definitely not as bad as it was when I was a kid. My issue is that I commute up Allen/1st Ave at 5:30AM after hack private garbage haulers have left a mess of broken bottles and general detritus in their wake but before Sanitation has cleaned up after them. And as I said, the 2nd Ave bike lanes next to Sara Roosevelt are a wreck. Every flat I've gotten on my commute has been on the stretch from Houston to Grand.
Old 02-08-20, 10:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Wendell F that makes sense. So some haulers are sloppy and some are not. Or the sloppy don't traverse some routes. That explains why there is a lot of glass in some places but not in most others. I don't picture people carelessly tossing their own bottles in the streets.

Old 02-10-20, 10:53 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
NYC is cycling heaven, if heaven were strewn with glass, potholes, garbage, clueless pedestrians, even more clueless drivers, cops that purposely park in bike lanes, cabbies and uber drivers that cut you off, other cyclists and other indignities. Feel free to add to the list. Edit: I'll add one more, snakes. (yes, snakes. I've hit one here.)
Likes For zacster:
Old 02-11-20, 10:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

zacster you're right, yet we have it better than some others do. I moved from NYC to suburban NJ and was there for 26 years. I moved back here.a few years ago, one reason being that I could cycle every day. I'm grateful for it, even though the downsides are clear enough. At least you live in Brooklyn which is quieter and not as smelly as Manhattan.

Likes For noglider:
Old 02-11-20, 03:30 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
zacster you're right, yet we have it better than some others do. I moved from NYC to suburban NJ and was there for 26 years. I moved back here.a few years ago, one reason being that I could cycle every day. I'm grateful for it, even though the downsides are clear enough. At least you live in Brooklyn which is quieter and not as smelly as Manhattan.
Brooklyn has its own aromas.
Old 02-11-20, 06:02 PM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Brooklyn has its own aromas.
Yup, I cross the Gowanus on my commute. Yes, quieter than the Manhattan leg of my trip, but man it gets ripe in the summer.
Old 02-12-20, 01:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

The Gowanus used to be worse many years ago!

Old 02-24-20, 09:21 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion

No, not Tom. That would be me. About 1200 miles with one flat, picked up a piece of glass at Houston Street.