Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone use Paul Neo Retro Canti Still?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 02-24-20, 03:27 PM
SimplySycles1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts

I have never used Paul's Neo Retro but i believe they are a copy of Mafac tandem brake from ages ago. Is anyone using either of these two brakes and can comment on them?

We have tried Shimano XT cantis (lowish profile) and mini vee both with Shimano Briters and both do not seem powerful enough for us (a 350 lb team)

thanks

Ruben in So Cal
Old 02-25-20, 06:50 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
They really do look like the Mafac caliper. I read the info on the brake and didn't see anything on lever compatibility. Will these work with the road brifter? R&E cycles has a cantilever of their design that will work with the road levers which might be something to consider too, https://www.rodbikes.com/store/?product_cat=brakes

We've also used regular "V" calipers and travel agents with very good results for many years.
Old 02-25-20, 01:09 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Mini-Vs have some drawbacks such as clearance and perhaps modulation feel, but power is not one of them. If what you really need is more braking power, I would be sure to thoroughly investigate different pad materials and rim braking surface cleanliness/preparation, or maybe cable and housing quality or other such issues, before spending money on another type of brake mechanism.