Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Terrifying close call yesterday

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Terrifying close call yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 03:01 PM
cp256

Bikes: Klein Team Super, Gios Super Record, old Peugeot beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a semi squeeze me off the road in a right hand turn on a city street. The light was red and he was in the left lane. I hadn't see any turn signal blinking and I was turning right at slow speed because it was a fairly busy intersection. Well before I reached the apex of the corner the semi started moving for a right turn and was pinching me off at the curb. I was going slow enough that I was able to hop off onto the sidewalk and drag my bike off the street before the back wheels got there, but was surprisingly close. Of course I screamed obscenities at the truck which simply drove on. I still don't trust drivers of any kind in any circumstance. You have to always expect the unexpected.
Old 03-02-20, 10:30 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cp256
I had a semi squeeze me off the road in a right hand turn on a city street. The light was red and he was in the left lane. I hadn't see any turn signal blinking and I was turning right at slow speed because it was a fairly busy intersection. Well before I reached the apex of the corner the semi started moving for a right turn and was pinching me off at the curb. I was going slow enough that I was able to hop off onto the sidewalk and drag my bike off the street before the back wheels got there, but was surprisingly close. Of course I screamed obscenities at the truck which simply drove on. I still don't trust drivers of any kind in any circumstance. You have to always expect the unexpected.
The semi driver SHOULD have had his turn signal on. He can't make a right hand turn from the right lane or he'll run over the sidewalk with the rear of his trailer. Or if he is in the right lane, he'll have to move into the left lane to make the right turn, just to keep his trailer end off the sidewalk … I think they call that a J turn or a hook turn.

Most semis don't have self-cancelling turn signals, so the driver has to manually turn off the signal after he has made his turn. I've never figured out why that is, and having been a semi driver for a few years, I cannot fathom any situation where you wouldn't want the turn signal to self-cancel. Just one of those truck things, I guess.

Please be careful around big vehicles cause they have big blind spots and if they hit you, they may never know it.
Old 03-03-20, 01:54 AM
cp256

Bikes: Klein Team Super, Gios Super Record, old Peugeot beater

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by motogeek
The semi driver SHOULD have had his turn signal on. He can't make a right hand turn from the right lane or he'll run over the sidewalk with the rear of his trailer. Or if he is in the right lane, he'll have to move into the left lane to make the right turn, just to keep his trailer end off the sidewalk … I think they call that a J turn or a hook turn.
--->8
He did run over the curb and sidewalk with his trailer.. That's what squoze me off the street. I would have hopped the curb to short cut the corner if I had seen a right turn signal. He wasn't front half in the left lane rear half in the right lane, he was stopped completely in the left lane, which is mostly what fooled me.
Old 03-03-20, 07:51 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Yeah, the safe and legal thing would have been to wait behind the semi to make the left turn, then pull over, dismount and walk your bike along the sidewalk. You passed the semi on the right, which is both illegal and unsafe. In many locations riding bikes on the sidewalk is also not legal. Patience is a virtue.
Not entirely true, actually. If we're being scrupulous, then according to our traffic laws in this case me being in the left lane at all was illegal. However, it would have been legal if the left lane was for left turn only; in this case bicycles are allowed to make the left turn from the right side of the left turn lane (not from the center or left side) - which was the position I was in. Being in front or behind the truck then would have been only a matter of safety, not legality, as the laws do not stipulate that passing on the right in cities would be illegal per se.

So the legal way in this case would have been to stick to the right edge of the road, continue across the intersection, stop and wait for the light to change, then make the left turn from that position. Or use the crosswalks - riding on sidewalks and crosswalks here is legal too.

Legal and safe often are far from the same thing when you are on a bike in a city almost without any bike infrastructure. For instance, our laws stipulate that bicyclists are allowed (should) "cycle along the carriageway in one row as close to the right side of the carriageway (driving lane) as possible" (except a handful exceptions) - which, as most commuters should know, is rarely the safest option.

Anyhow, the intent of my OP was not to discuss legality, but to remind people of blind spots of large vehicles and the dangers they pose.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 03-03-20, 08:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by cp256
I had a semi squeeze me off the road in a right hand turn on a city street. The light was red and he was in the left lane. I hadn't see any turn signal blinking and I was turning right at slow speed because it was a fairly busy intersection. Well before I reached the apex of the corner the semi started moving for a right turn and was pinching me off at the curb. I was going slow enough that I was able to hop off onto the sidewalk and drag my bike off the street before the back wheels got there, but was surprisingly close. You have to always expect the unexpected.
oh man that's the classic death squish. happens so often. reminds me of an instance in London, I think a cpl years ago. so sad & so gruesome. good thing you were so aware & have cat-like reflexes
Old 03-03-20, 09:02 AM
WheelsDoHeal

Bikes: 22 Specialized TurboVado SL 4.0,20 Specialized Sirrus X 4.0, 2019 Devinci Hatchet Carbon, Jamis Tangier

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I Increase My Visibility

A) I ride defensively, and I try to help make my presence known to others, e.g.: cyclists, pedestrians, drivers, low-flying aircraft pilots; whoever, whatever, DAY AND NIGHT...
1-Use Forward facing front white blinky, for oncoming
2-Use side-facing amber blinky (both sides), for any thing that my physical existence may not already be aware of,
3-Use rear-facing red blinky, which really, Truly is helpful,
4-NOT WEAR DARK COLORED CLOTHING,
5-Use reflective material on helmet and/or apparel.

B) Treat the space you occupy and those who share it with R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

C) Help make an effort to be fully conscious of the drivers around me, in order to minimize risks. Learn, know and use that knowledge objectively, in how drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, etc., move about, so maybe I get to STAY SAFE and live longer. I see a very low return on being “right” but ending up a paraplegic, or on a coroner’s list.

D) PAY ATTENTION !!

E) Enjoy the ride...

F) BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU TAKE-FOR-GRANTED OR ASSUME.

Last edited by WheelsDoHeal; 03-03-20 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Likes For WheelsDoHeal:
Old 03-04-20, 04:31 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Here are a few videos that show blind spots on large trucks.

-- United Kingdom

-- Canada

-- Australia

-- U.S.A.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-04-20, 08:33 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Not entirely true, actually. If we're being scrupulous, then according to our traffic laws in this case me being in the left lane at all was illegal. However, it would have been legal if the left lane was for left turn only; in this case bicycles are allowed to make the left turn from the right side of the left turn lane (not from the center or left side) - which was the position I was in. Being in front or behind the truck then would have been only a matter of safety, not legality, as the laws do not stipulate that passing on the right in cities would be illegal per se.

So the legal way in this case would have been to stick to the right edge of the road, continue across the intersection, stop and wait for the light to change, then make the left turn from that position. Or use the crosswalks - riding on sidewalks and crosswalks here is legal too.

I do that quite a bit when the traffic is fast and it's risky to change lanes.

That using the left turn lane is technically prohibited is almost splitting hairs isn't it? I don't know your laws but just about everywhere here, preparing to turn left relieves us of the duty to stay to the right. If you don't do the "box turn" like you describe, and can't use the left turn lane, you'd have to cross traffic lanes during the turn. That can't be right?
Old 03-04-20, 08:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Here are a few videos that show blind spots on large trucks.
wow

Old 03-04-20, 09:46 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I do that quite a bit when the traffic is fast and it's risky to change lanes.

That using the left turn lane is technically prohibited is almost splitting hairs isn't it? I don't know your laws but just about everywhere here, preparing to turn left relieves us of the duty to stay to the right. If you don't do the "box turn" like you describe, and can't use the left turn lane, you'd have to cross traffic lanes during the turn. That can't be right?
It's as follows:

In populated areas, i.e. where respective speed limits and other limitations apply:
- box turn;
- turning from the center line - if there is no more than one lane in each direction;
- turning from the right side of left turn lane - if there are no more than 2 lanes in one direction.

- outside populated areas it's the box turn only.
Old 03-05-20, 08:40 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I don't like to ride alongside trucks or buses. But in those cases where I have to ride past one, I first look into its mirror if I can see a face in there. Most of the time when I decide to make my move, traffic, including the truck or bus, would have stopped or moving so slowly I would be filtering through them because they would have no maneuvering ability.

The few times I use the left-turn lane is when the street hardly has any cars on it. So if any cars or trucks do enter the left turn lane after me, he would have seen me there from a distance anyways. And I'm wearing flashing lights and reflective clothing.

Last edited by Daniel4; 03-05-20 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-05-20, 02:23 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I first look into its mirror if I can see a face in there.
And the glow from his phone.
Seeing a face just means he CAN see you, not that he DOES
Let's you know that you ARE in a blind spot, not that it registered.
Moto lore again but, "Mirrors say, "No", They NEVER say, "Go" ". TYFH

Similar to the medical "Goldfish Sign":
You look in their eyes and see fish swimming back and forth.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 03-05-20 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-05-20, 03:04 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
Thanks Miele Man for you comment. I did search around and found a very recent study discussing eye contact. It supports your comment but the study I found was based on pedestrians, not bicyclists.

Having said that, I think the eye contact concern is legitimate for cyclists as well. However, the act of looking back toward a motorist is a good physical signal, in addition to hand signals, that the bicyclist is planning to move from their current path. I see it as part of the entire signalling approach. So, I would continue the 'eye contact' movement, the hand signal and as you say, continue to pay attention to the actual movement of the vehicle.
It's studied more extensively for motorcycles, so you'll find more info that way.

Example:
Old 03-05-20, 06:43 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Wow that's scary! I had almost the exact same thing happen to me once, except mirror image. Truck was in a right-turn-only freeway entrance lane, I was in the bike lane to his left (and looked him in the eye as we both waited for the light), and he decided to go straight, which meant right across my bike lane!

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...all-today.html
Old 03-05-20, 09:00 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
And the glow from his phone.
Seeing a face just means he CAN see you, not that he DOES
Let's you know that you ARE in a blind spot, not that it registered.
Moto lore again but, "Mirrors say, "No", They NEVER say, "Go" ". TYFH

Similar to the medical "Goldfish Sign":
You look in their eyes and see fish swimming back and forth.

So? Should I have added that I don't proceed until he's at a full stop or at least so slow he can't manoeuvre? At least I know I'm not hovering in someone's blindspot like so many drivers do to each other.

But I'm sure you have a comeback for that too.