Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What bikes compete with the Kona Sutra?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What bikes compete with the Kona Sutra?

Old 01-28-20, 03:05 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggle

5. LBS - I have a good relationship with the Trek LBS.
Is this Cyclesmith in Hali? Only bike shop I have been to in NS, but was very impressed with the customer service.
Old 01-29-20, 07:14 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Is this Cyclesmith in Hali? Only bike shop I have been to in NS, but was very impressed with the customer service.
I actually got it from Pictou County Cycle. They are near my parents house. Cyclesmith can do warranty work on Trek though which is great cause they are very close to our home.

It's a very nice shop, we've had our other bikes in for some work there and were quite pleased with the service.
Old 01-29-20, 11:59 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Djb, thanks for the indepth response and link to your report on Marathon Supremes. Yep, I probably should've just gone with this "smaller" size right then and there but, there was another thing which I couldn't factor into my evaluation because it was such a new concept to me - the included Brooks B17 saddle.

Tourist in MSN, yeah, toe-overlap just isn't an issue. Mondials for touring: never, for me. The knobs are fatiguing for me to ride on hardpack surfaces.

Wiggle, coming from the '99 Trek 520, one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen, the pastel-mint of the Sutra is welcome.

I.B.Roots, good to know, thanks!
Old 01-29-20, 01:53 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Hey no problem.
Old 01-29-20, 08:56 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I actually got it from Pictou County Cycle. They are near my parents house. Cyclesmith can do warranty work on Trek though which is great cause they are very close to our home.

It's a very nice shop, we've had our other bikes in for some work there and were quite pleased with the service.
When I was planning my tour last summer, the HI Hostel in Halifax told me I could not store my S&S Backpack there while I was doing my tour. I asked Cyclesmith by e-mail if they had any ideas on where i could store it, they said they would store it for me. I did not need Cyclesmith to store it, the guy at the Hostel changed his mind when he saw the size of it, (he apparantly did not bother to look at the dimensions in my e-mail, instead he apparantly just always says no) so the hostel stored it after all. But I can say that Cyclesmith really saved my trip because if i could not have stored it anywhere, I would not have gone on that trip. I bought a jersey and new helmet at Cyclesmith when I finished my trip, I felt obligated to spend some money there.
Old 02-07-20, 08:02 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
My 1999 Trek 520 frame measures 28 inches from ground surface to where the top of the top-tube meets the seat-tube. I'm not sure what size frame that is but it was either a 17 inch or 19 inch, the two smallest sizes of that year. Sitting on this bike and holding onto something to keep myself upright, I can foresee my toe possibly contacting a fender. I can't be sure though. Kona doesn't think it will happen with the Sutra, and its tires are even wider than my 35mm. Jamis doesn't think it will happen with the Aurora Elite (thanks for the suggestion, Ndrose. I hadn't heard of that one).

Fenders (and disc brakes) are the main reason I want an upgrade from my 1999 Trek 520, so I will probably only try bikes that are already setup with them. Fenders with tires no narrower than 35mm.

I was hoping to stay with 700 wheels because that's what I'm accustomed to riding. I would think smaller wheels will make the bicycle more squirrely at higher speeds, in comparison to 700.

If it comes with a road triple, I'll be glad to have the 52t chainring and just swap one (or both of the) other(s) to get the bike that does everything that I want.
I purposely bought a 56cm LHT with 26 inch rims. It is in no way squirrely at high speeds, in fact, I used to commute on it, and hit 40-45mph every day on the downhills. It was rock solid, loaded or unloaded. I love it, and it has performed well on tours.
if you are small enough to use a frame Surly only offers 26 inch rims, I would no go with 700s.
Old 02-07-20, 09:27 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Originally Posted by phughes
I purposely bought a 56cm LHT with 26 inch rims. It is in no way squirrely at high speeds, in fact, I used to commute on it, and hit 40-45mph every day on the downhills. It was rock solid, loaded or unloaded. I love it, and it has performed well on tours.
if you are small enough to use a frame Surly only offers 26 inch rims, I would no go with 700s.
I've been using a Trek 520 (700c) for the past 20 years. The only reason I'm looking for a new bicycle is that this Trek 520 (1999 model) doesn't accept both 35mm tires and fenders.

I'm already set on the Sutra. The shop has both frame sizes that I should be considering, and I tried and liked one of them already. I'll be getting it tomorrow.

Last edited by Nyah; 04-29-20 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-10-20, 09:10 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
the Kona sutra is a great touring bike, and was one of the ones I was seriously considering, along with the Masi Giramondo 700c, and the Salsa Marrakesh, in the end the Masi Giramondo 700c won because there is nothing I needed to change on the bike to make it work for me unlike the others I mentioned, the ones I didn't mentioned required a lot more changes. The only things I have to change on the Masi is the seat, the pedals, and the tires, but it's good to go on a tour right out of the box.
Old 02-15-20, 10:00 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Now, that Masi Giramondo IS very close to the Sutra. Several of the parts are even identical, too. I like the Giramondo rear rack more than the one on the Sutra, because I'd be able to put a wire basket there more easily (something I usually do for everyday riding), because the top is flat (it flares upward on the Sutra). The chainrings are lower-geared on the Giramondo. Some people are preferring that. I'm glad for what the Sutra has though, as I will be keeping the 48/36 and change only the smallest one to something smaller. I have to congratulate Masi for realizing that metallic paint is in demand. Kona made a nice choice of avocado green though (the white in the online photos is false). Thank you, Greatscott, for suggesting the Masi Giramondo. That is certainly one which competes with the Kona Sutra. Too late for me, as I already got the Sutra before seeing your post. But good for the record.

700c bicycles for every height! NO good reason to limit oneself to 26" wheel bicycles, unless you're really close to the shorter end of the height spectrum. I've had no problems controlling my Trek 520, and none so far with my Kona Sutra. I'm somewhere 5'6" or 5'7" tall and, with the minimalist shoes that I exclusively wear, am probably, effectively closer to the height of a shorter test rider of this bicycle.

Last edited by Nyah; 02-15-20 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 07:35 PM
MikeNomad

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona Sutra I just bought one

I just bought one and it’s a very nice touring bike. Please note that this bike runs “large”, or, a 54 cm in another brand is gonna be a 52. You HAVE to try one of the Konas for size. Important. Also, if you are small, you might be better served on bike w 26 “ wheels. I travel the mountains and I had the front triple chainring changed to 40/32/22. It is a really amazing spread of gears. 16.9 low to 100 high. Perfect for me. Bike is heavy and very strong. Like a 4x4 compared to sports car. With this gearing and wheel combo it can do a lot of different things well
Old 02-17-20, 09:18 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by MikeNomad
I just bought one and it’s a very nice touring bike. Please note that this bike runs “large”, or, a 54 cm in another brand is gonna be a 52. You HAVE to try one of the Konas for size. Important. Also, if you are small, you might be better served on bike w 26 “ wheels. I travel the mountains and I had the front triple chainring changed to 40/32/22. It is a really amazing spread of gears. 16.9 low to 100 high. Perfect for me. Bike is heavy and very strong. Like a 4x4 compared to sports car. With this gearing and wheel combo it can do a lot of different things well
Can you explain why you think small persons might be better off with a 26er? I have already disagreed with other people who suggested that, because I've been fine with 700c bicycles so far. Please address this part of your post.

Others who share the same opinion, please explain to me why you do.
Old 02-17-20, 11:16 PM
MikeNomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why smaller rider smaller wheel

[QUOTE=Nyah;21331860]Can you explain why you think small persons might be better off with a 26er? I have already disagreed with other people who suggested that, because I've been fine with 700c bicycles so far. Please address this part of your post.

Others who share the same opinion, please explain to me why you do.[/QUOTE

@@@@@well I’m not an engineer, but I do know that geometry changes with the scale of the bike as do turning radius and center of gravity. There is some info I’ve read plus the fact that smaller versions of several tourers have smaller wheel option. I’ve ridden lots of different bikes and I prefer larger wheels for the ride, but I’m about 5’8” and it almost feels too large, the 29s on the 52 cm sutra. I had a Decathalon 27.5 inch mtb as well and it was a great ride. I went w the 29” (measured tire circumference = 27.5!!!) because I’m more of an on road climber type than a gravel / road type tourer. Your call. Maybe try another kona at the bike shop w 27.5s? No right answer, just best trade off. You can also run 27.5s on the kona (is there an actual diameter difference?) if you end up going more off road gravel
Old 02-17-20, 11:17 PM
MikeNomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why smaller rider smaller wheel

[QUOTE=Nyah;21331860]Can you explain why you think small persons might be better off with a 26er? I have already disagreed with other people who suggested that, because I've been fine with 700c bicycles so far. Please address this part of your post.

Others who share the same opinion, please explain to me why you do.[/QUOTE

@@@@@well I’m not an engineer, but I do know that geometry changes with the scale of the bike as do turning radius and center of gravity. There is some info I’ve read plus the fact that smaller versions of several tourers have smaller wheel option. I’ve ridden lots of different bikes and I prefer larger wheels for the ride, but I’m about 5’8” and it almost feels too large, the 29s on the 52 cm sutra. I had a Decathalon 27.5 inch mtb as well and it was a great ride. I went w the 29” (measured tire circumference = 27.5!!!) because I’m more of an on road climber type than a gravel / road type tourer. Your call. Maybe try another kona at the bike shop w 27.5s? No right answer, just best trade off. You can also run 27.5s on the kona (is there an actual diameter difference?) if you end up going more off road gravel
Old 02-17-20, 11:28 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Can you explain why you think small persons might be better off with a 26er? I have already disagreed with other people who suggested that, because I've been fine with 700c bicycles so far. Please address this part of your post.

Others who share the same opinion, please explain to me why you do.
I've never fully understood the challenge of what size wheels. I can understand if we're considering a 20 inch wheel, but not the 26-27.5-28-29 discussion.
Some say 26ers because if you're in some third world country it's easier to find tires and tubes. I guess that could have some merit. The problem in modern countries, 26 is becoming harder to find
Others say 26ers handle better, I ride all sizes and have not noticed a difference and neither have pro MTB racers who ride with 29s.
Some bring up the fact that smaller circumference means a stronger wheel, this could be, but again, have not seen it
I toured with 26 on a converted MTB and my only negative which has little to do with the wheels, but due to the geometry of the MTB, under a heavy load the bike was not very stable.
People have opinions, it's informative if their opinions are backed up by facts, but for cycling, much of it is subjective.
Just like these:
Frames must be steel
Drop bars and brifters are the only way to go
Front suspension is not beneficial to touring

If you are happy, comfortable and settled with your bike; ride

Now, that there is the newest craze of the "mullet" bike, we could start a whole new thread
Cheers
Old 02-18-20, 10:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Now, that there is the newest craze of the "mullet" bike, we could start a whole new thread
Cheers
Everything old is new again Weren't 69ers available just a few years ago (29 front/26 back)? And before that Cannondale had a 64er (26 front/24 back) in 1988*. In all honesty, the 27.5er (a worse name couldn't be found) is admission that the 29er was a bad idea. I fully expect to see a brand new 559er in the near future.

*In 1988 there was a reason for the two sizes as gears didn't go all that low (but perhaps lower than what you can get now) and the 24" wheel provided lower gears for better climbing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-18-20, 01:51 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Everything old is new again Weren't 69ers available just a few years ago (29 front/26 back)? And before that Cannondale had a 64er (26 front/24 back) in 1988*. In all honesty, the 27.5er (a worse name couldn't be found) is admission that the 29er was a bad idea. I fully expect to see a brand new 559er in the near future.

*In 1988 there was a reason for the two sizes as gears didn't go all that low (but perhaps lower than what you can get now) and the 24" wheel provided lower gears for better climbing.
wow, interesting. Had no idea there were lopsided larger front smaller back setups.
I do know of Terry womans bikes with the smaller front wheels (to help with geometry and toe strike) but those others are news to me, weird and neat.
Old 03-06-20, 01:33 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

This post is not an update on the Sutra, but on another bicycle that someone posting in this thread was considering.

While visiting the REI store in northern Virginia recently, I checked out the Co-op Adv 1.1 bicycle. The one they had in stock actually had cable-actuated disc brake calipers instead of the hydrolic calipers that the website lists. That change makes this bicycle a better value than the Sutra, in my opinion. I would still be looking for a chainring guard though. I wish those came with every crank, even the high-end ones, because I'm not having much luck finding them as aftermarket items.

Last edited by Nyah; 03-06-20 at 01:40 PM.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 03-07-20, 08:31 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts

I was hoping to stay with 700 wheels because that's what I'm accustomed to riding. I would think smaller wheels will make the bicycle more squirrely at higher speeds, in comparison to 700.
My fastest ever downhill run was on a 12 1/2" wheeled kids bike, a Giant Animator. Felt stable as anything at 50mph, the geometry and lack of frame flex is more important than wheel size. (Incidentally you can go waaaay faster on a little bike, much less frontal area when you get in the tuck)
My Troll touring bike is 26", goes like stink downhill too, even with me, bike and cargo adding up to something around 340lbs. Again it's geometry and frame rigidity that make the difference.
Old 03-20-20, 04:10 PM
krackd21

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[INSERT KONA SUTRA PIC (Unfortunately i cant post the picture of my kona as im a new member. sorry guys)]

got my Sutra 2020 yesterday. loving it. its a size 52 and im 5'3. it felt much better than the trek 520 i tried, not sure why.

i went for the sutra over the 520 because of the reasons already highlighted but with a few more:

- existing riders complained of the poor paint finish on the 520 frame. it chips off easily. its a pity really as the diablo red was good looking.
- stock rims are weak. if u do a thorough search, riders complained of the bontrager rims having broken spokes after a few months. 24 spoke 520 vs 32 spoke sutra. no brainer really.
- sutra came stock with schwalbe marathons. a plus for me. had marathon plus on my previous foldie, love the range.
- brooks saddle on the sutra. a plus for me
- ive had wet butts from rainy weather before so the stock fenders on the sutra were a plus for me.
- im not technically good on bicycles as i just started this hobby last year, but people were commenting the gear set on the sutra beats the 520's alivio handsdown. some were even saying trek overcharges the bike with an alivio.

am loving the bike. have to get use to drop bars and the bar end shifters. still cant wrap my head around the purpose of a front derailleur xD
Old 03-20-20, 05:00 PM
Twang -O- Doom

Bikes: Cadex CFM-1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The one they had in stock actually had cable-actuated disc brake calipers instead of the hydrolic calipers that the website lists. That change makes this bicycle a better value than the Sutra, in my opinion.
The brakes on the 1.1 are cable actuated hydraulic brakes. The cable goes to the caliper where the master cylinder* is located.

*or whatever replaces the master cylinder in these brakes.
Likes For Twang -O- Doom:
Old 04-13-20, 01:01 PM
MikeNomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona Sutra my impression

I just bought a kona Sutra (2020 model), after doing a lot of distance riding on 27.5 and 29 inch touring and mtbs. My chief need was a bike that climbed well (very low gears) and I had the standard chainring replaced w 40/32/22 one. Great upgrade and great upgrade lol. It’s a 52 cm frame (im 5’7”/ 173 cm) these frames run large, if local bike shop doesn’t have Sutra in ur size try a similar kona model for sizing. I like the derailleur setup (triple 10 sp and NOT SRAM). I like the brakes, and yes disks work a lot better. I like that large tires can go on it. Bar end shifters are robust and versatile. It’s a heavy bike and it’s large. The 29 inch tires seem less nimble than a 27.5”. It’s a bike that like to go straight. It’s extremely strong and set up like mine you can take it on awful roads dirt gravel etc. ride is good. I recommend this bike
Old 04-14-20, 07:10 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by krackd21
[INSERT KONA SUTRA PIC (Unfortunately i cant post the picture of my kona as im a new member. sorry guys)]

got my Sutra 2020 yesterday. loving it. its a size 52 and im 5'3. it felt much better than the trek 520 i tried, not sure why.

i went for the sutra over the 520 because of the reasons already highlighted but with a few more:

- existing riders complained of the poor paint finish on the 520 frame. it chips off easily. its a pity really as the diablo red was good looking.
- stock rims are weak. if u do a thorough search, riders complained of the bontrager rims having broken spokes after a few months. 24 spoke 520 vs 32 spoke sutra. no brainer really.
- sutra came stock with schwalbe marathons. a plus for me. had marathon plus on my previous foldie, love the range.
- brooks saddle on the sutra. a plus for me
- ive had wet butts from rainy weather before so the stock fenders on the sutra were a plus for me.
- im not technically good on bicycles as i just started this hobby last year, but people were commenting the gear set on the sutra beats the 520's alivio handsdown. some were even saying trek overcharges the bike with an alivio.

am loving the bike. have to get use to drop bars and the bar end shifters. still cant wrap my head around the purpose of a front derailleur xD
Congrats on the new bike Couple comments though for anyone considering the 520 or Sutra (as a 520 owner):

1. Stock wheels are 36 spoke on both bikes.

2. The components on the Sutra are higher in the hierarchy but I've had good luck with the Alivio on mind so far, shifting feels smooth. I believe they had to go Alivio to allow for brifters to be used because 10 speed road and mountain groups are not compatible. Only solution seems to be to bring in a microshift brifter to allow use of 10 or 11 speed mountain with a drop-bar brifter. Someone let me know if I'm wrong here though.

3. The Sutra comes stock with Fenders and a better saddle, however 520 comes stock /w front rack.

4. The Bontrager hard-case tires seem pretty good so far. I haven't had any flats but I've only got a few hundred km on them so far. That being said I've ordered in a set of Schwalbe G-One since it seems to allow good on-road performance but improving gravel handling.

Last edited by Wiggle; 04-14-20 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-14-20, 05:37 PM
krackd21

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the new bike Couple comments though for anyone considering the 520 or Sutra (as a 520 owner):

1. Stock wheels are 36 spoke on both bikes.

2. The components on the Sutra are higher in the hierarchy but I've had good luck with the Alivio on mind so far, shifting feels smooth. I believe they had to go Alivio to allow for brifters to be used because 10 speed road and mountain groups are not compatible. Only solution seems to be to bring in a microshift brifter to allow use of 10 or 11 speed mountain with a drop-bar brifter. Someone let me know if I'm wrong here though.

3. The Sutra comes stock with Fenders and a better saddle, however 520 comes stock /w front rack.

4. The Bontrager hard-case tires seem pretty good so far. I haven't had any flats but I've only got a few hundred km on them so far. That being said I've ordered in a set of Schwalbe G-One since it seems to allow good on-road performance but improving gravel handling.
oh wow. youre absolutely right about the spoke counts! i look like an idiot now i manually counted the spokes afterwards xD

hope you enjoy your bike too. ride safe
Old 04-14-20, 07:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by krackd21

The front derailer and the three chainrings on the front are to give you choices in gearing that you simply can’t get with, for example, a 1x system. This calculator lets you compare different gearing systems like a 1x to the triple using the stock cassette. As you can see the 1x with the stock gearing is very limited in both low and high gear. A 27 inch gear is a very high low gear...you’ll be struggling up lot of even moderate hills...and the 89” gear means that you’ll be coasting down lots of hills at relatively slow speeds. At 120 RPM, you can get up to 30mph but 120 RPM isn’t a cadence that is easy to maintain for long periods of time so, essentially, you are reduced to coasting down all but the shortest of hills.

You could change the chainring on a 1x system to get a high gear the same as the triple but the low gear becomes even higher. You could change the chainring so that you have the same low gear as the triple. But, obviously, the high is ridiculously low...spinning out at less than 25mph...which means even more coasting.

Of course you could put a wider range cassette on the 1x with an 11-42 or an 11-50 which would give a better low with the same high. But there is a cost associated with that change. First the cassettes aren’t cheap. A Sunrace 11-42 is $20 to $50, depending on where you get it. A Sunrace 11-50 cassette is closer to $70 to $85. And it doesn’t stop there. The Shimano derailer might not be able to handle the 42 tooth cog and most certainly won’t be able to handle the 50 tooth cog which means a derailer change.

The triple also has an advantage with range. With only a slight change of the inner chainring on the crank, you could get an even better low than stock. Chainring changes are trivial.

Everything isn’t perfect on the triple of the Kona, however. The chainrings on the crank aren’t very well selected. The high is too high. Changing the outer ring to a 44 as well as changing the inner ring gives a shift system that has a pretty good high, a good low and what is close to a half step gearing system. But take a look at the link to the 44/38/22 gearing again. If you look closely, you’ll notice that from any gear you pick, a shift up or down on either the crank or the cassette goes to the either the same or close to the next step down in gear inch ratio. For example, the 44/17 is a 70” gear. The a downshift on the front would result in a 38/17 gear that is a 61” gear. A downshift to the 44/19 gear combination would give a 63” gear which is close enough. Yes, there are a lot of duplicates but that’s not as much of an issue as you think. And the low range gearing is usually used as if it is a 1x any way. If you get into the low range, you usually aren’t shifting to the middle ring and back all that often. You stay there for long periods of time.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-15-20, 05:21 AM
Igor_M

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 E117 Disc - 2020 Mason Bokeh - 2015 Fuji Touring - 1997 Peugeot Performance 2000 - 19?? Mars trekking

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
My 2 cents:

I have been looking at the Sutra a lot as of late as a potential replacement to my Fuji Touring. Among the things that I really like of the Sutra is the generous tyre clearance (if memory serves up to 700c*47 at least) which opens up some great options for tours in rougher areas of the world where a 35 simply wouldn't cut it. And in this sense I think only the Salsa Marrakesh has similar clearance.

Not sure how I feel about the geometry: for one I heard that it is "big for its size", aka I would have to go for the 52 to get similar stack and reach to my 54 Fuji. The wheelbase is slightly shorter but the chainstay is longer. I never had particular issues with toe overlap on the front (in the sense that it never bothered me or put me in danger) but I had issues with my heels hitting the back panniers and had to move them further back on the rack.

Something I don't like that much if at all is the choice to go for flat mount disc brakes which limits you to 160 mm. I would personally want the flexibility to mount 180mm or even 200mm on a bike meant for fully loaded cycling.

If the drop bar is negotiable, I would look at the Koga. Yes it's aluminum but those bikes are tanks (check Cyclingabout for some info).

The way I will probably go about it is to reach out to some frame manufacturer in my area and use the things I like from the Sutra as a starting point but expand on it so that it checks each and every box that makes for the perfect touring machine based on my experience/preferences.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.