Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 03-09-20, 08:05 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by sambo1
I can't post URL's but checkout the Cannondale Quick 1 on Evans. It's on sale and offers way better value than Sirrus I think. I own both. The aluminum frame on Quick 1 is almost the same weight as Sirrus carbon. Shimano 105 as well.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Carbon frame to aluminum frame. Loose ball bearing hubs on the Cannondale vs. cartridge bearing hub on the Sirrus.
Old 03-10-20, 01:28 PM
sambo1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
You're comparing apples to oranges. Carbon frame to aluminum frame. Loose ball bearing hubs on the Cannondale vs. cartridge bearing hub on the Sirrus.
Loose bearings on Sirrus x 3.0 and 4.0 . Aluminum frames too. Broke my carbon Sirrus frame last year after a collision. I would recommend better components and light aluminum on the Quick 1.
Old 03-10-20, 03:00 PM
Laseranimal

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pynchonite
Anyone tried going tubeless on the stock rims on the 2019 Elite? Reading the specs, I see that the rims are 21mm inner width, which screams "tubeless" to me. Thanks!
I'd like to know this as well! I've got a 2019 Sirrus Sport
Old 03-14-20, 02:09 PM
GravelGurty

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Winter Upgrades!

After researching wheels/tires most of the winter I "settled" on a set of GRX wheels, and Conti Terra Speeds. The GRX wheelset seems like a really good value and decent weight savings from the stock setup. I couldn't justify 2x more $$ to save a few hundred grams from where the GRX is positioned. The Terra Speeds initially were measuring at 38, but after a few weeks now, both are just a touch under 40mm at 40psi. Everything setup tubeless super easy, I ended up using 2oz of Orange Seal per wheel. I haven't logged too many miles yet due to work and weather, but what I have has been nice. The tires roll fast and are quite comfortable.

Likes For GravelGurty:
Old 03-14-20, 04:57 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,158 Times in 591 Posts
I'm looking at the Roval 24s (I think that's the number). Pretty decent: under 1600 or so grams/set, aluminum rims (no interest in carbon), DT Swiss internals. Would be nice to get shot of the boat anchor stock wheels -- among other things, I don't like the faux 'aero' deep section rims. A nice sensible box-section rim will do me just fine.
Old 03-15-20, 12:08 AM
Dallas405

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve been considering getting the Diverge but I really prefer flat bars and would hate buying that bike and immediately dropping more cash to convert the bars. I do like that the Diverge has a higher gearing though and more speed always appeals to me lol. Is that the main difference between the Sirrus and diverge aside from the handlebars?
Old 03-15-20, 01:26 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas405
I’ve been considering getting the Diverge but I really prefer flat bars and would hate buying that bike and immediately dropping more cash to convert the bars. I do like that the Diverge has a higher gearing though and more speed always appeals to me lol. Is that the main difference between the Sirrus and diverge aside from the handlebars?
I'm not an expert for all these bike types/models, but I also thought the Diverge was more of a wide-tire Roubaix endurance road bike rather than a hybrid bike with drop handlebars. I would think it would be a lot cheaper/easier to change the gearing on a Sirrus than convert a Diverge to flat bars.

- Mark
Likes For markjenn:
Old 03-15-20, 08:16 AM
badger1

Dallas405
Essentially, Specialized has rationalized the Sirrus line into two series. The 'regular' ones (e.g. Sirrus 6.0) align more with the Roubaix (endurance/road), the X ones (e.g. Sirrus X 5.0) align more with the Diverge (road/'gravel'). The former have more 'road-like' 2x gearing; the latter have 1x gearing and 'gravel' tires.

Tires and gearing are easy to change, so other than being sure you want a 1x drivetrain there's not much in it.

However, my advice would be to be sure you want either drop or flat bars before choosing. The current Sirrus geometry is optimized for flat bars -- rightly so -- so they won't convert 'properly' to drops, in my opinion, and that's leaving aside the expense. The converse is also true: you could convert a Roubaix/Diverge to flats, but why bother when optimized versions are available?

That's my take, fwiw.
Old 03-15-20, 06:13 PM
Dallas405

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies! You were right about it being easier to upgrade the Sirrus components versus buying the more expensive diverge and then changing everything on that. One thing I really like about the diverge is the clearance and room it has for a wide variety of tire sizes and the ability to get some big tires on there. How much more in the options for bigger tires does the diverge have to the Sirrus. Aside from that in all of the components is the frame geometry that much different?
Old 03-15-20, 07:34 PM
Laseranimal

Originally Posted by Dallas405
Thanks for the replies! You were right about it being easier to upgrade the Sirrus components versus buying the more expensive diverge and then changing everything on that. One thing I really like about the diverge is the clearance and room it has for a wide variety of tire sizes and the ability to get some big tires on there. How much more in the options for bigger tires does the diverge have to the Sirrus. Aside from that in all of the components is the frame geometry that much different?
Not sure about the Diverge but my LBS said they've run 38's on a Sirrus with no problems
Old 03-15-20, 11:56 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Laseranimal
Not sure about the Diverge but my LBS said they've run 38's on a Sirrus with no problems
I think it depends on the Sirrus model but my X comes stock with 38s and depending on the tire and how muddy the terrain is, I think you could probably run 42s.

- Mark
Old 03-19-20, 06:25 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GravelGurty
After researching wheels/tires most of the winter I "settled" on a set of GRX wheels, and Conti Terra Speeds. The GRX wheelset seems like a really good value and decent weight savings from the stock setup. I couldn't justify 2x more $$ to save a few hundred grams from where the GRX is positioned. The Terra Speeds initially were measuring at 38, but after a few weeks now, both are just a touch under 40mm at 40psi. Everything setup tubeless super easy, I ended up using 2oz of Orange Seal per wheel. I haven't logged too many miles yet due to work and weather, but what I have has been nice. The tires roll fast and are quite comfortable.
That looks nice. What headset spacers are those? Do you have any weights you can share?
Old 03-19-20, 04:24 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
That looks nice. What headset spacers are those? Do you have any weights you can share?
Headset spacers? Are you looking at the FS boot, DD? It does look a little odd at first. GravelGurty has the stock '19 one; here's what the FS 2.0 set-up looks like (long story; fortunate 'upgrade' on my bike!):

Old 03-19-20, 07:06 PM
GravelGurty

Unfortunately, I do not have a scale to measure all my upgrades.
Badger is right, my hooptie has the first gen FS nothing new there all stock.
Old 03-19-20, 08:18 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by GravelGurty
Unfortunately, I do not have a scale to measure all my upgrades.
Badger is right, my hooptie has the first gen FS nothing new there all stock.
Hey GG ... those GRX wheels look very nice ... like so far?? Another question: are those Ice Tech rotors, and if so are you still using the stock brakes? Play nicely together?
Old 03-20-20, 11:19 AM
GravelGurty

I do like them so far, but have yet to get more than a few quick rides on the wheelset. I really couldn't justify the Roval's at $800, even looked into a custom wheel build. I got a screaming deal on the GRXs NIB on ebay.
Yes Saint Icetech's, I summarized all the brake upgrade in post 902.
Old 03-27-20, 12:46 PM
hdkct

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bikepacking recommendations

I am considering investing in some cargo racks and bags for my Sirrus. Does anybody have experience with their own bikes? What systems work best for you? I am planning a one week trip on the GAP/C&O Canal trail from DC to Pittsburgh.
Old 04-08-20, 09:57 AM
Laseranimal

Thought I’d throw a photo of my 2019 Sirrus Sport up. As a runner I needed to add more training volume without increasing the pounding on my body. Plus running in the Florida heat and humidity sucks.

Upgrades from stock are:

Ergon GP3 grips
Shimano SPD SL Pedals
Sora Crankset
WTB Silverado Saddle
Continental GP 4 Season Tires 28mm

Changing saddle and tires made a huge difference. I liked the bike before but I love it now. May decide to upgrade the wheels eventually if I can find something that isn’t too expensive.

Likes For Laseranimal:
Old 04-12-20, 06:40 AM
Farrah430

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2020 Sirrus Expert Carbon VS 2019 Sirrus Elite Carbon

What are the differences? I’m stepping out of entry level bikes and moving into my first carbon. I know some stuff but not all hoping you all can provide some help. Does the Elite Carbon include the “Future shock”?
Old 04-12-20, 08:40 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by Farrah430
What are the differences? I’m stepping out of entry level bikes and moving into my first carbon. I know some stuff but not all hoping you all can provide some help. Does the Elite Carbon include the “Future shock”?
It does not, nor does its successor the Sirrus 4.0 (carbon). Have to go up to the Sirrus Expert (now the Sirrus 6.0) to get FS on the bike with a 2x drivetrain. The Sirrus X (Comp; now called 5.0) does have FS, but it is a 1x drivetrain.
Old 04-12-20, 12:12 PM
mattb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi -hope this is right place to ask.. sorry newbie here... i have have a 2012 or 2013 basic specialized sirrus hybrid. The bottom bracket is worn and knocking, its all standard bits as i bought the bike from new. Does anyone know what dimension bottom bracket is required before i take it apart? or where i can look to find out? any help appreciated. thank you.
Old 04-12-20, 11:10 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mattb85
Hi -hope this is right place to ask.. sorry newbie here... i have have a 2012 or 2013 basic specialized sirrus hybrid. The bottom bracket is worn and knocking, its all standard bits as i bought the bike from new. Does anyone know what dimension bottom bracket is required before i take it apart? or where i can look to find out? any help appreciated. thank you.
2012 Sirrus Sport seems to be 68mm square taper: Specialized Sirrus Sport (2012) Specs

And here is how to measure it yourself:
Likes For slowpacer:
Old 04-13-20, 06:15 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by mattb85
Email S and ask them if you do not have crank arm puller. Generally, low profile cranks are 113mm, and non-low profile are 122mm

For square taper BBs, the one to get now is the BBUN55 - the spindle is hollow for lower weight.

Old 04-14-20, 09:05 AM
slash32487

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am i crazy to get the X 5.0 and make the tires smaller?? was going to swap out for the tires that are on the 6
Old 04-14-20, 12:04 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by slash32487
Am i crazy to get the X 5.0 and make the tires smaller?? was going to swap out for the tires that are on the 6
No, why would that be?

I have the Sirrus X Comp carbon (same bike, 2019), and swapped out the tires for Spec. Roubaix Pro 32 road tires ... simply my preference. Made the bike into exactly what I was looking for.

The only thing with the X carbon: be sure you want a 1x drivetrain -- it's a dedicated 1x version of the frameset.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.