Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Advice on Crossing Maine

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Advice on Crossing Maine

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 04:20 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Advice on Crossing Maine

My original touring plans went through Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Wash DC, and NYC. Recent events make me think a Plan B is in order. I am thinking of heading for the Maine coast, around Searsport. Since I live in Bradford, VT, on VT's Eastern edge, I am thinking of taking the Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail from Woodsville to Bethel, ME. That part is easy, campgrounds all the way, if they are open. From there, it looks like I should head for Augusta, then angle for the coast, Any experience/advice?
Thanks in advance
Old 03-30-20, 07:56 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I don't know if this information will help you, but I rode from Vermont (over the Kangamagus pass) to Acadia NP through Conway NH, Augusta and Belfast ME. What I remember most is what another bike tourist I met on the road said: "There isn't a flat road in Maine." And, he was right!

I wrote a detailed journal for this ride that started in Pennsylvania and ended in Boston, if you want to see some photos of the area and my route. You can see the route I followed here: https://trackmytour.com/wFZJX

I enjoyed the riding I did in this area during the fall colors.
Old 03-30-20, 09:49 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Would like to hear how your trip works out. In '08 I made a nearly 1k mi. ride from Sterling, MA up to Baxter State Park and back down along the coast. Followed logging roads for part of it. It was a great adventure but pretty much a one off since I can't recommend following my exact route due to a known ban on bicycles following parts of it. You can read about the coast part of the ride if you start somewhere in the middle of this account here.
You've gotten my curiosity up about the Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail. I'll have to research that.
Old 03-31-20, 06:07 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
what kind of bike are you riding? tire width? How many days do you have ?

I think rt1 is a'ok but the nice parts are riding into the harbors, coastal roads and small villages.

The trail from Bethel to Rumford is nicely along the river. Then from there to Jay it's so,so. Then I would take it under the Belgrade lakes that is not bad for views and then You're by Augusta. I would head towards Wiscassett and explore the harbors like Boothbay harbor or Pemaquid etc ... and if You have enough time there is a newish route from Milford to Campobello https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26873974

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 03-31-20 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-31-20, 01:21 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Thinking about the cross vt trail too? Did the Cross NH a few years ago, great stuff, the turn cues are fabo.
Old 03-31-20, 02:28 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I'm already on the East side of VT, about 20 miles South of Waits River, VT and Woodsville, NH, where the VT and NH trails meet. The bike will be a Tout Terrain; 26" wheels, 2" tires, Pinion gearbox, so no dish on the rear. A little heavy, but pretty bomb proof and comfortable. I'm guessing that the campgrounds don't even know yet whether or not they will be open.
Thanks, all, for some good info
Old 03-31-20, 02:50 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

yeah Iknow that bike - great bike. I also have a pinion bike. the reason I asked was also because of some gravel options but I stand by my original answer to You with tips.

Do not count on campgrounds to be open.

Rene
Old 03-31-20, 09:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
When are you going ?

Not sure campgrounds are open, though you can stealth camp in the National Forests. Maine has almost no state campgrounds along your route, excepting Camden Hills State Park and there website is really poor at telling you when specific campgrounds open for the season. Camden as well may be south of where you are heading.

I’m thinking the current COVID -19 crisis is going to have all facilities closed well into May.

The route thru Maine will likely be on pavement but just pick one, there are a lot of back roads with little traffic to choose from.

A thought would be to head to Acadia and spend a day or 2 riding carriage roads, which are terrific. Camping at Lamoine State Park just southeast of Ellsworth on the way down to Mt. Desert Island. There’s Nat’l Park camping on Mt. Desert as well as over in Winter Harbor area.
Old 04-01-20, 12:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I’m thinking the current COVID -19 crisis is going to have all facilities closed well into May.
May 2021
Old 04-01-20, 03:56 AM
PedalingWalrus

The Maine tourist season unofficially starts May 30