Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing 3 Sturmey-Archer speed hub rebuild

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Removing 3 Sturmey-Archer speed hub rebuild

Old 03-31-20, 02:26 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
I like MonkeyShred's video on a Sturmey Archer AW 3-speed overhaul. As you can tell in this video this hub really doesn't need to be handled with soft gloves. A hammer and punch is the preferred method for some parts.
Personally, I have taken a 3-speed apart a couple of times and rebuild a 5-speed last year. The tricky part is opening things up but other than that there is not a lot you can do wrong.

Old 03-31-20, 02:49 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,365 Posts
It's still a work in progress. The R.H. ball Ring (I think that's it) is seized (approx 3:25 on the video). You should see my knuckles. Soaking it in PB Blaster then a few judicious strikes with a hammer and punch. It will come.

Last edited by WGB; 03-31-20 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-31-20, 03:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Did you get your sprocket off? You may have to hit the screwdriver harder than you think. You probably won't wreck it but be prepared. Wear glasses, and whack a thin blade screwdriver into the space between the notch and the lockring. Then once it's wedged under, hold onto it tight and pry hard. Be strong, and you'll get it.

I recommend you don't try to revive those rims, even though I left a previous comment to the opposite effect. Your spokes are probably seized and corroding, so it's time for some rebuilds. If you haven't built wheels yet, we will walk you through it. This hub is worth rebuilding on, and the new rims and spokes are nicer than the old ones ever were.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-01-20, 07:14 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
It's still a work in progress. The R.H. ball Ring (I think that's it) is seized (approx 3:25 on the video). You should see my knuckles. Soaking it in PB Blaster then a few judicious strikes with a hammer and punch. It will come.
I've found using a brass punch is better than steel. First, the softer brass conforms to the notch and won't slide off as easily when hammering. Secondly (and really important) brass will not damage the notch. My punch is just a 6" length of brass rod tapered at the end. Don't be tentative when hammering, you need a sharp blow to start it moving.

Good luck.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-01-20, 09:10 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I've found using a brass punch is better than steel. First, the softer brass conforms to the notch and won't slide off as easily when hammering. Secondly (and really important) brass will not damage the notch. My punch is just a 6" length of brass rod tapered at the end. Don't be tentative when hammering, you need a sharp blow to start it moving.

Good luck.
This is especially true of the newer models that have a scallop shaped notch. The older style with the square cut notch are ok with a steel punch.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 10-27-23, 09:16 AM
retlaw53 
Volunteer wrench

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
After reading this thread, I decided to take the plunge, I used #8D finishing nails threaded through the left and right hand spoke holes to stop it from rotating in the vise. That, two days of soaking in Blaster and a large hammer.
Old 11-01-23, 03:48 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
It will be easier to test your hub rebuild if the spokes are not cut.
Old 11-01-23, 04:16 PM
retlaw53 
Volunteer wrench

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
It will be easier to test your hub rebuild if the spokes are not cut.
In my case, the hub was in a parts bin, not part of a wheel assembly. I wanted to become familiar with the process before tackling the rear wheel on my Robinhood. The parts bin hub internal unit has been fully disassembled and cleaned using a sonic cleaner. Should be re-assembled this weekend and ready to test in the Robinhood wheel.
Likes For retlaw53:
Old 11-02-23, 10:39 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I was given two early 70's Raleigh Sports

They have seriously rusted rims and I can't see trying to save the rims but wanted to see if the internal hubs are worth saving and rebuilding. I've never taken apart one of these but there are a lot of how to videos available. Problem is all the videos start with the hubs already free from their rims.

I'm pretty sure that it's okay to simply cut out a Sturmey Archer hub (unlike a hub with a cassette or freewheel attached) but wanted to check first.

Do I need to leave the hubs attached to the rims to start the dismantle process?
You probably won't need to do anything to the hubs, except maybe add a drop of oil. The rims look good enough, just cosmetically challenged. Have you ridden the bikes? They look little-used, might not even need cables, and rust on the chain side plates is also just cosmetic as long as the links free up with oiling.
Likes For grumpus: