Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ride ends with felony

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ride ends with felony

Old 03-21-20, 06:33 PM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domain SLR6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
First of all the cyclist kid was being a jerk. He runs the stop sign, looks at the cop when he calls for him to stop, decides to hell with the cop and keeps going. Then after he gets stops he decides to keep saying FU to the cop, while I don't see much in the way of resisting arrest going on, the kid was being a jackass to law enforcement on top of it, no respect whatsoever for police. Then the kid's father rides up, the kid says FU to the cop a couple of more times while the dad was there, if I was that dad I would have slapped my kid's face talking like that to a cop, but alas parents are weenies these days toward their kids which is why they don't respect authority.

Having said all of that, do I think the cop over reacted...yes I do, and the cop should have made it fair and wrote the other kid up as well, and maybe the whole crowd that rolled up later if they all ran the sign. Do I think the cop should lose his job? no, but maybe a unpaid leave of absence for a week will make him a bit more fairer in the future.

But I also wonder of the cop and that cyclist have some history, it seems like there was too much friction going on between those two to be a one time meeting.

No matter what some you think you have to obey the laws of the road just as any motorist would have to obey the laws UNLESS otherwise stated on a sign or some legal thing happened that allows cyclists to do something that motorists can't do. Obviously in the state where this video took place the law is you have to stop for a stop sign or a traffic light. A lot of you will baitch and complain that motorists hate you, well I'll tell you why they hate us riders is because we fling the vehicle code laws out the window when we ride and act like we're above the law then get all pissy when someone gets mad at us for for our bad actions! I see this everyday while either riding my bike or in my car how cyclist have no regard for the very laws they're suppose to be following. Act like law abiding citizens and maybe we'll have less motorists hating us due to the respect we'll get.
The immediate thing that’s wrong with your post, Scott, is that it comes very, very late in the game. In fact it comes way after the game is over and everyone’s long gone from the ballpark. We’ve talked about this every which way. You’re not the first deplorable dumbass who’s made the argument you’re making. There’s this guy for example:

Originally Posted by Chad991
We dont blame the cyclists at all? We can break laws? That's what's wrong with this country, it is always someone else's fault.... poor law breaker, dam evil cops...please, just like all the rest of the lib whiners...Dont break the law so blatantly in front of a cop, this might not of happened....no **** huh? But let's not blame the poor cyclists
Originally Posted by Theypeedonmyrug
I deplore your analysis. It’s deplorable. And dumb.
Your analysis is similarly dumb and deplorable. Deplorable and dumb.

Just drop the subject. Go out for a bike ride. Run every stop sign you come across. That’s what I do. Keep your social distance and be safe.
Likes For Theypeedonmyrug:
Old 03-31-20, 04:47 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
When I was a kid and rode bmx, I would ride my bike everywhere and I never thought stop signs applied to me. When I started cycling this year I had the same attitude, and didn’t even realize I was in the wrong. I will say I don’t understand why I would need to come to a stop and un clip when there is no traffic coming from either direction. To me that seems over kill and a waste of my time.
Motorists can make similar argument, especially with manual transmission. Not everyone can see everything every time. Everyone has their own special interest group excuse. Eventually there will only be anarchy.
Likes For gear64:
Old 04-01-20, 07:11 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Your post is indicative of the kind of ignorance many people have to what the signs right in front of their faces actually mean. The stop sign seen from the police vehicle is clearly marked "STOP - ALL WAY". That means everybody stops. All directions. Elementary.

Commence to editin'

DD
???

How are people supposed to see the sign seen from the police vehicle?

That sign, obviously, isn't for people coming the other way.

It suggests that the other legs have stops bit doesn't guarantee that. The sign on the other leg could have been missing.
Old 04-01-20, 07:26 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by eduskator
Lots of if, would, should have, could have, here. Also, lots of things we don't know such as:

-Did the cyclists see the 2 cops at all?
-Did they see the cop making a sign to pull over? When he made the sign with his hands, both cyclists were already engaged in the intersection. I don't see the cyclists looking at him in the video nor hear him yelling at them to stop.
I don't know for you, but I am always looking to where I am heading when I ride (or drive my car), not somewhere else
-Did they ignore the cop telling them to pull over on purpose?
-Was the high speed chase with sirens & lights flashing necessary or was it an adrenaline driven power-trip?
It's kind of late.
​​​​​
The cyclists were were probably focused to the left (away from the stop sign and away from the cop).

I'll speculate that the route was fairly routine and they went through it the way they did previously (adding to not noticing the cop and not needing the stop sign).

The rider may have noticed the cop but thought he wasn't trying to communicate to them (they were probably focused on negotiating the turn).

That the riders didn't instantaneously stops seems fairly normal to me.

Cops routinely turn on lights. They drive fast. So, "meh" about the 'high speed chase"​​​​​​ (which is a melodramatic way to describe it).

​​​​​​
Old 04-01-20, 07:32 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The stop sign at the start of the dash cam video clearly says "All Way" so we have to assume that there's a stop sign that we can't see in the shadows on the left side of the frame.
No, we don't have to make that assumption.

It certainly suggests there will be one but does not guarantee it.

Though, it would odd if the cops were stopping people if the sign was missing. That might be stronger indirect evidence that there was a stop sign on the other leg.
Old 04-01-20, 07:58 AM
njkayaker

Not sure why people don't provide the Google Map links.

Overview from Google Maps It's interesting that thinks the roads go on or connect..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Va...=en&authuser=0

The intersection from the cyclists's perspective. There's a stop sign and a stop bar (clearly visible in 2019 at the time the photo was taken).

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6920...=en&authuser=0

Before the intersection, there's a warning that there's a stop coming up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6906...=en&authuser=0

In Juiy 2019, all ways had stop signs. All the roads leading into the intersection are paved. You can seen the lip of the raised asphalt.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6923...=en&authuser=0

If you go down Florida to the left, the Google Street view shows an unpaved road but that image is from 2013. I'm guessing people are calling it gravel based on the old pictures. It's not a "driveway" (it's a narrow road leading to multiple houses).

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-01-20 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-01-20, 09:42 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Curious to know if this case went in front of a judge & the output. Is there anyone on this forum living in that area that would have this info?

The supervisor of the police officer must have talked to him regarding his high speed chase? Total lack of judgment.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-01-20 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-01-20, 09:54 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
That is a valid point, however, sticking to the evidence provided by the police officer (the videos) the evidence is inadmissible since it does not prove that a sign was actually posted on the side of the intersection the cyclists were coming from.
No, the sign in the video doesn't prove there was a sign on the other leg. The sign in the video is irrelevant beyond suggesting there would be a sign on the other leg.

Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
A defense attorney could well argue someone removed the sign, or that even the cops removed it for their “run the sign trap”.
This is going waaay into the weeds. You are basing the lack of a sign on crappy video.
Old 04-01-20, 09:55 AM
njkayaker

The supervisor of the police officer must have talked to him regarding his high speed chase? Total lack of judgment.
Total melodrama.
Old 04-01-20, 10:28 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Total melodrama.
Caused by a lack of judgment
Old 04-01-20, 10:36 AM
njkayaker

Caused by a lack of judgment
Calling it a "high speed chase" is total melodrama.

The cops calling it "fleeing" is another instance of melodrama.