Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Riding during the shelter in place directive

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Riding during the shelter in place directive

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-20, 09:29 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
...and they're gonna ruin it for everyone, in terms of both infections and closures. They state is going to start clamping down harder on anything done outdoors, while I use bike rides to get away from people. As I've said several times, on a typical two hour ride, I don't come within 20 feet of another person. I also don't stop, or touch anything other than the bike. I guess what it comes down to is that surviving an epidemic isn't that difficult, provided you're not an idiot. Sadly, California appears to be over-encumbered with idiots.
Old 03-24-20, 09:52 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I think it's time to leave the car and just ride local. I have always done this.. I never put bike in car or on a rack.
Old 03-24-20, 12:11 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I am actively avoiding any sort of MUP/MUT for the foreseeable future. They are all absolutely jammed with people on their "COVID Vacation."
The good news is the streets are practically EMPTY and you can ride on all the roads you usually don't dare to.

Old 03-24-20, 03:25 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
The good news is the streets are practically EMPTY and you can ride on all the roads you usually don't dare to.
True that. But in my neighborhood the speed on the local street has really increased. And stop signs are now totally ignored. I was amazed the other day at watching a roofing truck going at least 50 and even swerving to scare (kill) some turkeys. Some things never change.
Old 03-24-20, 03:33 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by ztmlgr

The new normal "social distancing" on the bike paths presents a challenge for cyclists.
Really? Braking to walking speed and then accelerating back up to cruising speed is a 'challenge'? Presumably you're doing this for exercise. I slow down for little kids and dogs as they are unpredictable.
Old 03-24-20, 04:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30355

State Parks have an update page for virus closings. It says closed to vehicular traffic, still promoting hikes and bikes.
I saw that Gavin was closing state park parking lots but leaving the parks themselves open. I like it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-25-20, 07:48 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Tricia and I thought it was a good time to try gravel so we rode to Black Diamond mines. The parking area was very full and people were parking illegally. We saw too many groups that were obviously not family members. I felt silly, but I actually tried to be exhaling whenever we got closer than 10 feet passing them.

But once we got a little ways from the entrance it was beautiful.

Likes For cccorlew:
Old 03-25-20, 11:47 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Not only are the parking lots closed - they took away the bike rack!
Also the bench in front of the ranger entrance door, although the one next to the stairs is still there.

There were quite a few riders this afternoon, all but two of them were in groups of one.
Also, there appears to be a lot more horse activity... judging by the mass of manure on the road.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 03-26-20 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-26-20, 12:47 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
...and they're gonna ruin it for everyone, in terms of both infections and closures. They state is going to start clamping down harder on anything done outdoors, while I use bike rides to get away from people. As I've said several times, on a typical two hour ride, I don't come within 20 feet of another person. I also don't stop, or touch anything other than the bike. I guess what it comes down to is that surviving an epidemic isn't that difficult, provided you're not an idiot. Sadly, California appears to be over-encumbered with idiots.
I agree with you about taking precautions. But honestly, there are idiots everywhere. Have you seen the pics from London?
Old 03-26-20, 10:40 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Really? Braking to walking speed and then accelerating back up to cruising speed is a 'challenge'? Presumably you're doing this for exercise. I slow down for little kids and dogs as they are unpredictable.
+1 way of live on MUP's I just roll with it.....excuse to work to accelerate

Old 03-26-20, 03:42 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Also the bench in front of the ranger entrance door, although the one next to the stairs is still there.

There were quite a few riders this afternoon, all but two of them were in groups of one.
Also, there appears to be a lot more horse activity... judging by the mass of manure on the road.
Wait, so the parking lots on Diablo are closed? Which ones? I was there Wed morning and I saw a few cars parked at Rock City and no closures as far as I could tell
Old 03-26-20, 07:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by cthenn
Wait, so the parking lots on Diablo are closed? Which ones? I was there Wed morning and I saw a few cars parked at Rock City and no closures as far as I could tell
now it says MDSP is closed to vehicular traffic. Probably means motor vehicles.
​​​​​https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30355
Old 03-26-20, 09:54 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

now it says MDSP is closed to vehicular traffic. Probably means motor vehicles.
​​​​​https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30355
There are Strava entries for Diablo today, so it seems it must just be cars, unless it goes into effect tomorrow. The statement on the MDSP webpage seems to encourage walking, hiking, and biking to parks, so I would be surprised if cycling isn't allowed. Again... Until some large group ride goes up there and ruins it for everyone else.

Edit: the Mt Diablo Cyclists Facebook page indicates riding is still allowed. But again, everything seems to be happening in phases, and as the pandemic gets inevitably worse, the closures will almost assuredly get more strict. I assume at some point we might be totally locked down from leaving the house at all, for any reason, other than to buy food or medicine.

Last edited by cthenn; 03-26-20 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 09:19 AM
cthenn

LOL rain

Normally, I'd be very annoyed that we're getting yet another rain filled weekend, starting before dawn Saturday and ending Sunday evening, but in this case it's good news. This should keep the congregating idiots from causing even more strict rules from being enforced. San Mateo County has officially closed all parks and beaches to anyone due to these clowns gathering in large groups, ruining it for the responsible ones. It really is only a matter of time before more parks and open spaces are closed to everyone, as people just cannot help themselves from being selfish. We might squeeze another week out before full closures go into effect...
Likes For cthenn:
Old 03-28-20, 04:28 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
All parks in San Mateo county closed last night until an indefinite date.
Old 03-29-20, 04:40 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Update... both benches gone now.
Old 03-29-20, 10:20 PM
2cam16

Hunker down, boys and girls. Shelter is now until at least April 30th.
Old 03-30-20, 04:00 PM
cthenn

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Hunker down, boys and girls. Shelter is now until at least April 30th.
Question is, can we keep the Parks open that long, or will the selfish ruin it for everyone?
Likes For cthenn:
Old 03-31-20, 06:30 PM
rtalain

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HM, 2020 Lynskey GR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The next dagger in the back. In San Mateo County, all outdoor activities are limited to 5-miles from your house beginning tomorrow. First thing I did was draw a 5-mile circle to see what climbs there are, and fortunately, there's one: King's Mountain for those of you that know it. So no more rides to the Coast for a while.
Old 03-31-20, 10:25 PM
2cam16

Originally Posted by rtalain
The next dagger in the back. In San Mateo County, all outdoor activities are limited to 5-miles from your house beginning tomorrow. First thing I did was draw a 5-mile circle to see what climbs there are, and fortunately, there's one: King's Mountain for those of you that know it. So no more rides to the Coast for a while.
Do you have a link? I can't find anything on this.
Old 04-01-20, 12:14 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
This looks like it: https://www.smcgov.org/shelter-place-faqs

I'm not in your area, I just happened to look for it earlier because I wanted to see what else it said.

Last edited by rseeker; 04-01-20 at 12:19 AM.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 04-01-20, 07:16 AM
rtalain

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HM, 2020 Lynskey GR300

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Here's the link: https://www.smcgov.org/shelter-place-faqs
Scroll down to "What Activities Are Allowed", then click on "Is Recreational Biking Okay".

And here's a link to a website where you can draw a 5-mile radius around your house.
https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

Last edited by rtalain; 04-01-20 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For rtalain:
Old 04-01-20, 11:22 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Only a matter of time before the other bay area counties follow suit.

I heard rain was forecast for this weekend, maybe it will once again help keep the crowds away from the local parks.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 04-01-20, 11:33 AM
Pavol Stromcek

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Yikes! I hope they don't implement this in Alameda County.

But if they do, it looks like I'd still be able to do my shorter ~20-mile routes, according to https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php. I'd have to get creative in coming up with longer rides that stay within the five-mile radius, as venturing into Contra Costa County would no longer be an option.
Old 04-02-20, 11:15 PM
cthenn

This is dumb. Is a cop gonna pull over a cyclist, ask for your license (which is not a requirement to ride), then bust out a protractor and a map to see if you're outside of 5 miles? Is it 5 miles in a direct radius, or 5 miles by road? I really doubt this will happen and I wouldn't worry about it. The deal breaker will only happen when they completely disallow any kind of recreation period, including dog walking. But police have much more to worry about than a cyclist riding a bike 5.2 miles from their house...

Also, San Mateo has been the one county which seems to be the most strict. Does SF or Santa Clara County even have these same severe restrictions?

Last edited by cthenn; 04-02-20 at 11:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.