Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton converting to 2017 integrated shifters, help

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 02:55 PM
ponglo

Bikes: Dahon Speed D7, Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Help! I can't figure out how to adjust the derailleur.

I swapped out my 2013 shifters and brake levers for the new 2017 combo set. Used new cables and installed the required new DR anchorage spring set. But I can't get the derailleur to shift properly. It wants to sit in high gear. I have to unscrew the adjuster at the shifter all the way out to get it to almost move to low gear. Any ideas?
Old 06-24-18, 11:49 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Seems that you set the cable tension too low when mounting the new cables. Unscrewing the adjuster at the shifter means raising the tension. If unscrewing it almost full does not do the job screw it in almost fully and tighten the cable at the back end (dog leg). Make sure that the new dog leg is fittet properly to the frame - it is a bit counterintuitive when not looking at the instructions that come with it.
Old 06-26-18, 10:12 AM
ponglo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks berlinonaut! Tried what you said but still not enough tension. The cable needs to be shorter.

There's a little slot on the cable connector at the dog leg. If you look on the backside of it (behind the grub screw, with wheel off), there's a slot on the back too and you can see your shifter cable threading through. I used a needle to help guide the cable out of that slot, so that the cable can extend beyond the slotted area. Made my adjustments, tested the shifting, and then cut the cable so that it fit inside that slot. This way you don't need to guess how much cable to cut off.

Brompton post-2017 DR cable anchorage spring set

Last edited by ponglo; 06-26-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 02:30 AM
berlinonaut

Good to hear that it worked. The way you did it is more or less the way that I intended to hint to: The cable has to be tight on the rear end at the dog leg and achieving this works pretty much the same way as you would do with any derailleur (or brake). The cable is less tight in the higher gear, therefore when fitting the cable it might be appropriate to bring the shifter to the higher gear-postion.

Two additional tipps for those who convert their bike from the old lever to the new ones:

- The mechanism how the shifting at the rear end works mechanically stays pretty much the same. But by the clamping of the shifter-cable at the dog leg there is now the need for an additional mechanism to extend the cable (mechanism) further towards the back end of the dog leg (as it was previously provided by the shifter cable). This is done by a short (second) cable which is clamped by another bolt close to the front end of the dogleg. This is alreday mounted at the factory. I'd recommend checking the tightness of this bolt before mounting the dogleg onto the bike. I had one case where this bolt was not tight enough and the dogleg disintegrated itself when I provided tension by mounting the shifter cable. And as there's a spring inside the dogleg spread itself springloadedly throughout the workshop. Finding and puzzeling together the parts again was no fun, thus: Better check before mounting.

- The second tipp: If all of a sudden your two-speed refuses to shift to the lower gear the reason may be that the attachment of the plastic rear end of the shifter cable on the small wire thing that you can see in Pongo's photo above on the right side came loose as it is just clicked onto that wire. No a common issue as far as I know but I had that on a friend's bike (that came with the new shifters from the factory) after a few months and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what the issue was. Fixing is a 2-second-job: Just click that thing back onto the wire. So if you suddenly have issues with a usually reliable derailleur shifter check this spot, it may safe you time.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 06-27-18 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 08:32 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
@ponglo, can you post a pix of how the new shifters/levers look on the old M bars? Also, does the indexing of both derailleur and IGH match and feel good? I might be interested in this mod but thought it needed a longer straight grip section of bar (as the new bars have).
Old 06-27-18, 09:19 AM
berlinonaut

Originally Posted by reppans
I might be interested in this mod but thought it needed a longer straight grip section of bar (as the new bars have).
You might look in this thread. The info is in there, but the thread is a bit challenged culturally.
Old 07-06-18, 04:25 PM
ponglo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
@ponglo, can you post a pix of how the new shifters/levers look on the old M bars? Also, does the indexing of both derailleur and IGH match and feel good? I might be interested in this mod but thought it needed a longer straight grip section of bar (as the new bars have).
Hi reppans, I had to change my original M bars. I switched to Joseph Kuosac (ebay) mid-rise bars, which turned out to be about 58mm shorter than original M (floor to bar height). As for the new shifters, they feel great and I like them a lot more than the original shifters.

Old 07-07-18, 06:25 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks @berlinonaut and @ponglo... I want to keep my old version M bars, so I guess the new shifter/brake things are out.
Old 07-07-18, 11:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I can throw the over the bar (old M bar ) from 1st to 3rd, 3rd to 1st, shipping past 2nd *

as I gather the new under bar you go just 1 gear at a time so not as quick .

*with a 2 speed crank ,, 3rd is high in low range 4th is low in high range..

Old 01-22-19, 11:59 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
If unscrewing it almost full does not do the job screw it in almost fully and tighten the cable at the back end (dog leg). Make sure that the new dog leg is fittet properly to the frame - it is a bit counterintuitive when not looking at the instructions that come with it.
@berlinonaut could you by any chance post the instructions that you have? My derailleur anchorage came without any instructions and I have problems fitting it unless I bend the wire welded to the frame. Obviously if I were to tune to that I would rather want to be extra sure that I am on the right track. By googling I could not find no instructions nowhere for the 2017 version. Thanks.
Old 01-22-19, 01:00 PM
berlinonaut

Originally Posted by 2_i
@berlinonaut could you by any chance post the instructions that you have? My derailleur anchorage came without any instructions and I have problems fitting it unless I bend the wire welded to the frame. Obviously if I were to tune to that I would rather want to be extra sure that I am on the right track. By googling I could not find no instructions nowhere for the 2017 version. Thanks.
Seems I do not have a pdf or a link to a pdf myself neither. This means I'll have to hunt for the paper-version in my workshop and to scan it. This clearly may take a couple of days. I'll do my best but this will almost certainly not be a fast answer as my workshop unfortunately is currently in the process of restructuring.
Old 01-22-19, 01:34 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

This means I'll have to hunt for the paper-version in my workshop and to scan it. This clearly may take a couple of days. I'll do my best but this will almost certainly not be a fast answer as my workshop unfortunately is currently in the process of restructuring.
Thanks! Of course use common sense as to the amount of effort you delegate to this. For the moment I went back to the pre-2017 version and will be parking there.
Old 01-22-19, 02:41 PM
2_i 

Seems I do not have a pdf or a link to a pdf myself neither. This means I'll have to hunt for the paper-version in my workshop and to scan it.
I found this pdf in case this is all you had. It talks about attaching cable to the anchorage, but not about installing the anchorage itself.
Old 01-22-19, 03:13 PM
berlinonaut

Originally Posted by 2_i
I found this pdf in case this is all you had. It talks about attaching cable to the anchorage, but not about installing the anchorage itself.
This might have been it - not sure. I remember that one had to study the picture of the dogleg intensively rather than reading the text to understand how exactly the parts of the dogleg puzzle together and how and where to mount them. The good thing is: Once you have done it once successfully it is a piece of cake next time.
Old 01-22-19, 03:26 PM
2_i 

I remember that one had to study the picture of the dogleg intensively rather than reading the text to understand how exactly the parts of the dogleg puzzle together and how and where to mount them. The good thing is: Once you have done it once successfully it is a piece of cake next time.
My problem is that protrusion of the part with the spring on the left passes through the wire loop only in the upside down orientation compared to what it needs to be to fit the right side plastic C-clip and the push-on tube. I could bend the wire to enlarge the loop opening, to let the left side protrusion get through the opening in its reverse orientation, but I would likely chip the paint - hence the hesitation in going ahead without being fully convinced that this is what I need to do.

Update: OK, I think I solved it by playing around off-bike with the pieces (not a Rubik's cube, but something in that direction) - no wire bending necessary. I may post photos after all is mounted on the bike as I have seen others on the web clearly messing it up.

Last edited by 2_i; 01-23-19 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-26-19, 02:17 PM
2_i 

Here are the photos from the stage of attaching the anchorage that baffled me. There are arrows on the barrel that comes from the right and you need to follow them.

Before the barrel comes on, clinching the grip.

After the barrel comes on
Old 01-26-19, 04:23 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Here are the photos from the stage of attaching the anchorage that baffled me. There are arrows on the barrel that comes from the right and you need to follow them.

Before the barrel comes on, clinching the grip.

After the barrel comes on
Not seeing all of top photo.
Old 01-26-19, 04:28 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Not seeing all of top photo.
Can you click on the photo, to make it open in another window? Posting photos on this forum or elsewhere is a hit and miss. If it does not work, I can try posting at a picture hosting site,
Old 01-28-19, 04:40 AM
berlinonaut

Originally Posted by 2_i
This is what it looks like on my bike - maybe that helps:

Old 01-28-19, 07:25 AM
2_i 

Hmm, you do not seem to put the sleeve/barrel over the C-clip, It goes on the clip when the barrel (dachshund) has its legs up into the air and it locks snugly against the wire over the C-clip when you rotate the barrel so that its legs point down towards the chainstay,
Old 07-20-19, 06:21 PM
oacarlos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi , i just joined to confirm that Schwinnsta's procedure works, and his two pictures were crazy helpful for doing the conversion.

mad props.
Old 03-13-20, 12:18 AM
T0xictim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very helpful tip! will try this weekend!