Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New - help with Co-op CTY bikes

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 10:46 AM
calebpagan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm a 41 year old who hasn't owned a bike since I was around 12. I've ridden here and there - mostly with the bike share in Houston. I am excited and ready to buy a bike, but I am having trouble deciding and could use some advice from those more experienced.

What I want it for: I live in the suburbs, and I run a number of different paths around the neighborhoods near me - usually within about a 5 mile radius, but on wheels that would expand a bit. I'd primarily be using it for riding weekends along those roads, to nearby parks, that sort of thing. I might take it on gravel here and there, but I don't think I'll be diving into any serious off-road stuff any time in the near future. I also hope to be able to take it along other places - some parks, into the city, etc.

My concerns: I love REI and am looking at their co-op CTY bikes (without suspension). I've spent lots of time reading old forum posts and am pretty confident in the brand. My real question is components and outgrowing them. I don't want to purchase a bike for $600 then feel like I need to upgrade in a year or two, but I also don't want to overspend on something I don't need. The CTY 1.1 seems to have fairly good reviews, but there also appears to be doubts about the gear and wheel quality. Is this truly a beginner bike and would I be better served buying the 1.2? Is the upgrade that significant? I cannot afford anything pricier than that, unfortunately. Should I go after the 1.1 and upgrade components in the future? I have no experience, so any insight would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-20, 11:08 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Just checked REI on both of the bikes you listed. The 1.2 is a nice upgrade....but is it worth spending $350 more....well, I probably would think it is but would also probably wait until REI has a sale on it to push the price down a bit.

Reality is the 1.1 is a perfectly fine bike for that price. Looks like it would be a fun bike to ride on. So you have to ask yourself, are you going to regret not getting the better bike? I have not heard of anyone getting the better bike and stating, I should have bought the cheaper bike. But then again, depending on how you ride, the 1.1 is perfectly acceptable and may make your wallet happier.

I have found that all bikes under $1000 don't necessarily have the strongest wheels on them. Not sure if you would see a difference between the wheels on the 1.1 and the 1.2.

Hope this helps and not leads to more confusion.
Old 02-07-20, 12:37 PM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Just checked REI on both of the bikes you listed. The 1.2 is a nice upgrade....but is it worth spending $350 more....well, I probably would think it is but would also probably wait until REI has a sale on it to push the price down a bit.

Reality is the 1.1 is a perfectly fine bike for that price. Looks like it would be a fun bike to ride on. So you have to ask yourself, are you going to regret not getting the better bike? I have not heard of anyone getting the better bike and stating, I should have bought the cheaper bike. But then again, depending on how you ride, the 1.1 is perfectly acceptable and may make your wallet happier.

I have found that all bikes under $1000 don't necessarily have the strongest wheels on them. Not sure if you would see a difference between the wheels on the 1.1 and the 1.2.

Hope this helps and not leads to more confusion.
Thank you! That helps quite a bit. It solidified much of the info I'd sort of pieced together from reviews and other posts and made me more confident about purchasing the 1.2.
Old 03-20-20, 07:28 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
The 1.2 looks like a decent bike. Any idea on who actually produces the frame (REI certainly doesn't).
Old 03-20-20, 07:45 PM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
The 1.2 looks like a decent bike. Any idea on who actually produces the frame (REI certainly doesn't).
No clue, but I am curious. I ended up not going with the REI bike and instead chose the Brooklyn Bicycle Company Roebling. I've been really happy with it so far. In fact, I just got back from an evening ride with my wife.
Old 03-20-20, 07:46 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by calebpagan
No clue, but I am curious. I ended up not going with the REI bike and instead chose the Brooklyn Bicycle Company Roebling. I've been really happy with it so far. In fact, I just got back from an evening ride with my wife.
Throw a pic up let’s see that bad boy!