Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Community Designed Commuter Vehicle

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Community Designed Commuter Vehicle

Old 02-25-20, 05:53 PM
Centurial

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
As far as materials, chromoly may be able to be designed to half the thickness/weight of mild steel, and may well be similar to at least some aluminum components, 6061? 7xxx?

If you wish to be minimalistic, and efficiency oriented, then anything you can do to keep the weight down will help. Your design of say a 500 pound car will be very different than a 1500 pound car. And, the heavier you make one component, that will trickle down through the rest of the vehicle. Stronger frame, stronger motor, stronger wheels, etc.. and more weight.

I applaud your idea of building the car with hardware store components, bolt on and pop rivets, but I'm not convinced that will achieve the sleek car in the photos above.

Kit Car?
Thank you for the kind and well thought out ideas and questions.

Yes, a kit first. we do not have the resources to build this vehicle and ship complete. It would first go out as a kit (if at all). It is open source with no legal restriction. So for a minor price we will have all files available for download as with all our projects and tools. Open source is important to allow the community to improve on it and develop it further. Thus giving it a higher chance of survival long term with or without us.

Here is what we can do. We can make the frames. Steel tube mig welded. And we have the knowledge to make molds for the body work and use mix an pour plastic maybe fiber glass. Both are very affordable and fast options. Lots of small detail parts will be 3D printed we currently have 3, 3D printers. Easy to scale that up. And lastly most of the other parts will be sheet metal and of the shelf components. So nothing so far indicates that we can't hit the 4K$ retail price or hit the 2K$ build price.

I selected a Chinese motorcycle as the donor and was very affordable. But this is up to the end user. Bike parts and other variants can easily be derived from the first version. Simple mods will allow for all kinds of diversity. Allowing the end user to make what they want.
Old 02-25-20, 06:00 PM
Centurial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
That's a better rendering than the other one I found, which resembled a half dome tent. But that one seemed a lot more realistic for someone to build themselves for $2000... if they already have their own welder. Selling it for $2000, did not seem likely.

This may be of interest Craig Vetter, designer and inventor of the Windjammer fairing,Triumph Hurricane Motorcycle Streamliners and fuel economy motorcycles
Thank you. We left the last design because no one liked it. This new design would require a mold which we know how to do. Then make the body out of mix and pour plastic or fiber glass.

I took a look at the Vetter web site. That guy did a lot of cool things, his community as well. It's a shame a lot of that stuff did not catch on in a big way.

We aim for the stars so if we miss hopefully we hit the moon. 2K$ for the kit is a tough target and hopefully we hit it. It's probably the most important goal next to function because in reality this is a second vehicle, not a primary vehicle. Anyone buying this will also have a car and it's not easy to afford two car payments. So the price must be low enough that it is not a painful experience to buy and own a commuter. I'm doing everything I can to make it so. Wish me luck I'm going to need it.
Old 02-28-20, 06:14 PM
Centurial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Voting is now open! Features and Comforts. How much storage will it need? AC and Heat? Type of interior? nav and sound? let me hear your thoughts. Voting is best done on the web site. here is the link. Commuter Motorcycle, 80+ MPG, Inexpensive, Fully enclosed. ? Centurial Inc

But you can say what you like here and i'll transfer your decisions. I'm a rider myself so I don't need much so for me. Fresh air vent, Back pack only, Cloth with foam, Small spot for phone, 32 oz water bottle. That's all one really needs in life. How say you?

Air Conditioning *
Only select the bare minimum you would accept.
Fresh air vent only
Heat Only
AC cooling only
I need both AC and Heat

Storage *
The bare minimum storage you need. This bike will only seat 1 person. So this is strictly for storing items.
Back Pack only
Back Pack and Laptop Bag
Half a shopping cart
Full shopping cart

Seating *
This is strictly about comfort. This bike will only seat 1 person.
Cloth and foam with good breathing
Leather and foam with good breathing
Just foam
Don't care keep it simple and comfortable

Sound and Nav *
This is about music and navigation. What is the minimum you would accept?
None, I will use my phone and head phones
Small spot for smart phone, I will use my head phones
Just my smart phone mounted in an easy to see spot
Smart phone plus sound system

Cup holder *
Minimum for one person.
none
small coffee cup
16 oz water bottle
32 oz water bottle
A 40....oz water bottle
Old 03-05-20, 01:58 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
How do you get around vehicle safety standards? Keep the top speed under 25-30?

At least enough cargo space for a large backpack. More is better even if you don't imagine that you'd use it.

I strongly suspect that it will get hot and need active air conditioning, unless it's a convertible.
Old 03-08-20, 02:35 PM
Centurial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
How do you get around vehicle safety standards? Keep the top speed under 25-30?

At least enough cargo space for a large backpack. More is better even if you don't imagine that you'd use it.

I strongly suspect that it will get hot and need active air conditioning, unless it's a convertible.
The vote is still open right now for ac and heat. Lot's more involvement this time around. almost 3x more people have voted.

Getting around regulation is still a concern. It's going to be registered as a motorcycle in order to reduce the amount of regulation I have to work through. But we will see.

So far the popular vote is AC and Heat with 1/2 shopping cart storage. Sound system and cloth interior with a 32 oz cup holder. basically a one seat car interior...... I'm not surprised. It's what people are use to and they don't won't to sacrifice. So now I have to figure all that stuff out. It will take more time and effort. But should be no problem.

I've started the process of small scale testing interior and upholstery. The AC and Heat system still needs problem solving. Especially AC. The storage, sound system and cup holder are easy hits. I will use an off the shelf blue tooth mobile speaker and the rest is just about increasing the size of the frame and body work. Make it all fit nice and look good. Those votes are still to come. I will need to design the vehicle in its entirety now and then put it to a vote. Like It or Hate it. If it's good I start building, If not I redesign. and repeat.

Best Matt
Old 03-08-20, 04:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Most cars heat off the engine in one fashion or another. Even some EVs will use the cooling system for heating.

I personally would choose a fan over AC for around here, but that probably wouldn't work for half the country.

I'm wondering if something like a Lithium Bromide Waste Heat absorption Chiller would work for AC. It is less toxic than ammonia, but still not something you'd want to get in the eyes. And, should be more efficient than standard compressor type AC systems.
Old 03-08-20, 04:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
As far as seats, would you be able to do a design that would swap a second seat in and out for storage. Perhaps do a mesh seat that would take minimal space when folded out of the way.

There are a few car designs with inline seating.

The Messerschmitt famously had inline seating. VW also tried a similar concept car with the VW 1L.