Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clunky Shifting?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Clunky Shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 09:53 AM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Clunky Shifting?

Hello All,

I recently got a direct drive trainer and began to test it out during the whole Corona lockdown. As such I'm loathe to go to a bikeshop to get it properly checked out so I've come here though I'm usually rubbish when it comes to repair.

It went off perfectly the first time I set it up but then after moving the trainer to a different part of the room and hopping back on it, I THINK I noticed the shifting was less smooth. I spent an hour adjusting the lower limit screw and the indexing (I'm using Ultegra Di2 11 speed) and I think I got it. I even took the bike out to ride around the block but somehow (maybe it's all psychological) it seems slightly off to me. I went on a session indoors today and it mostly worked. It's not skipping or unable to shift to any of the gears but when I'm about the 5th or 6th cog down and shifting towards the 11T, it seems less smooth. It sort of makes a loud clunk as it shifts down.

Is it just because I'm not turning the wheel fast enough? It's a lot harder to drive the turbo trainer with my hand as I'm testing it and I don't have a stand so the only other thing I can do is turn my bike upside down to adjust.

Ideas? Thanks!

Thanks
Old 03-26-20, 01:30 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It is likely that you will need to readjust your settings slightly when switching between trainer and wheel. It should not take an hour. Try following this procedure: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment