Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

To Grease or Not To Grease, that is the question...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 08:50 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

I'm installing a set of Campagnolo Power Torque bearing cups on my bike. I am new to the world of Campy so I'm not sure if I should apply grease to the threads of the bearing cups, or not. Typically, when installing SRAM or Shimano bearing cups I would use grease on the threads, to reduce corrosion etc.

However, these Campagnolo bearing cups have some kind of yellow stuff on the threads. Does anyone know what this is? Should I still use grease on the cup threads?

Thanks.
Old 01-31-17, 09:17 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
I'm installing a set of Campagnolo Power Torque bearing cups on my bike. I am new to the world of Campy so I'm not sure if I should apply grease to the threads of the bearing cups, or not. Typically, when installing SRAM or Shimano bearing cups I would use grease on the threads, to reduce corrosion etc.

However, these Campagnolo bearing cups have some kind of yellow stuff on the threads. Does anyone know what this is? Should I still use grease on the cup threads?

Thanks.
Just curious, what did Campagnolo say when you asked them?
Old 01-31-17, 09:51 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I use grease ,TefGel actually, on BB threads even when the cups have sealant on the threads. Pedal threads, too.
Old 02-01-17, 06:49 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I use grease ,TefGel actually, on BB threads even when the cups have sealant on the threads. Pedal threads, too.
+1, if you look you can find on the Campy website they recommend synthetic grease be applied. I suspect pretty much any grease or anti-seize that will work well.
Old 02-09-17, 07:42 AM
mrblue

Originally Posted by easyupbug
+1, if you look you can find on the Campy website they recommend synthetic grease be applied. I suspect pretty much any grease or anti-seize that will work well.
Thanks. Do you have a link to where it says this? I looked all over the Campagnolo site and didn't find a thing. The instructions for installing the BB cups/crankset didn't mention using grease or not. It just said to install the cups, so I'm assuming that means no grease.
Old 02-09-17, 08:11 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The instructions for installing the BB cups/crankset didn't mention using grease or not. It just said to install the cups, so I'm assuming that means no grease.
It doesn't matter that they didn't mention greasing the threads, do it. Any grease or antiseize will do fine but use it.

An alternative is to use a couple of wraps of plumber's teflon tape. It performs the same functions as grease (corrosion prevention, water seal and silent operation) and is a bit less messy.
Old 02-09-17, 09:03 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Thanks. Do you have a link to where it says this? I looked all over the Campagnolo site and didn't find a thing. The instructions for installing the BB cups/crankset didn't mention using grease or not. It just said to install the cups, so I'm assuming that means no grease.
I just scanned the site and you are correct, I can not find the manual that came with my Power Torque BB. Unfortunately I am out of town until the 19th so I can only double check the booklet with the BB when I get back. I can tell you I have no doubt for two reasons: 1) Because I am into C&V cars/trucks as well as bike so did not have any syn grease and had to go buy it and clean out one of my grease guns to load it. 2) Were it me I would not doubt HillRider who I completely agree with and have never read anything but sound advise from him.

IIRC the threads had some yellow stuff on them about half way down the threads, probably a sealant not a thread locker which would leave the front of the BB threads with steel to aluminum contact which can be real trouble.

I will set a reminder for when I am back to post on this to put your mind at rest.
Old 02-09-17, 10:44 AM
mrblue

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I just scanned the site and you are correct, I can not find the manual that came with my Power Torque BB. Unfortunately I am out of town until the 19th so I can only double check the booklet with the BB when I get back. I can tell you I have no doubt for two reasons: 1) Because I am into C&V cars/trucks as well as bike so did not have any syn grease and had to go buy it and clean out one of my grease guns to load it. 2) Were it me I would not doubt HillRider who I completely agree with and have never read anything but sound advise from him.

IIRC the threads had some yellow stuff on them about half way down the threads, probably a sealant not a thread locker which would leave the front of the BB threads with steel to aluminum contact which can be real trouble.

I will set a reminder for when I am back to post on this to put your mind at rest.
That yellow stuff is definitely a thread locker. I installed the cups a few days ago without grease. Then I decided to remove them and apply some grease. I could not remove the cups until I heated the thread locker with a blow dryer.

So, since I've proven to myself that that stuff is a thread locker, would it be ok to use grease in conjunction with it?
Old 02-09-17, 10:45 AM
mrblue

Originally Posted by HillRider
It doesn't matter that they didn't mention greasing the threads, do it. Any grease or antiseize will do fine but use it.

An alternative is to use a couple of wraps of plumber's teflon tape. It performs the same functions as grease (corrosion prevention, water seal and silent operation) and is a bit less messy.
Gotcha! So is it ok to apply grease over the yellow thread locker stuff?
Old 02-09-17, 10:56 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm not very knowledgeable on your component but I know grease and lubrication. It sounds like your threads may have a "transit coating" (a technical term you can Google for more information) applied to add protection during shipping. Many times these coatings can remain but it would be best to contact either the manufacturer or the retailer for information. A transit coating is not meant to be reapplied after delivery.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-09-17 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-09-17, 01:10 PM
GuyWood

Bikes: 1992 Dave Yates Diabolo MTB, Steel winter roadie upgraded to full 11 speed 105 and Hunt wheels. 2016 Giant Defy Advanced two with Hunt wheels.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't give the matter a second thought. Grease 'em and fit 'em.
Old 02-09-17, 02:55 PM
easyupbug 

I am sure the grease will prevent the locker from adhering so if you want to to install and forget about it, get some blue locktite which is low strength and it will prevent the galvanic pairing of metals which leads to the sticking electrolytic reaction just like the grease.
Old 02-09-17, 05:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18385 Post(s)
Liked 4,517 Times in 3,356 Posts
Are you installing Italian thread or English thread?

I decided to use Purple threadlocker on my Italian cups. I haven't decided what to do with my next English one, but each situation may be different.
Old 02-10-17, 08:27 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Gotcha! So is it ok to apply grease over the yellow thread locker stuff?
Yes, by all means. I often thought the manufacturers add that thread locker to protect riders who don't bother to grease the cups and don't torque them properly. It's not "right" but it helps the unknowing.