Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pinion and Fixed-gear?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pinion and Fixed-gear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-17, 10:39 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Pinion and Fixed-gear?

Hey all, just had a thought about using internal gearboxes like pinion to run a geared fixed-gear (or rather a coast-less geared-gear?)and was curious as to whether it had been done before. Does anyone know of a set-up like this? Maybe there's something about gearbox technology that wouldn't allow fixed-gear that I am unaware of?
Thanks everyone!
Old 01-01-17, 10:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What problem are you trying to solve?

Why not just run a normal fixed gear?
Old 01-01-17, 10:53 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
So, you want a 3-speed fixie? I suppose such a thing could be made, by locking the sprocket on a 3-speed IGH, but i'm not sure how well it would work.
The actual 'shift' between gears is made, the wheels, cranks and the rest of the driveline are all moving at different speeds. The freewheel allows for those little differences to even out as the gear ratios change.
Basically, what you want to do is like shifting a manual transmission, without using the clutch, or backing off the throttle. It can be done, it just won't be pretty.
Old 01-01-17, 10:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Decades back (prior to WW-II) Sturmey Archer produced internal planetary geared 2 speed fixed gear hubs. I've been riding one on and off for the last 45 years or so. They also produced a 3-speed version later on, and both of these are collectors items today.

I believe that similar hubs have been reprised recently, but can't confirm whether this is so.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-01-17, 10:58 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Decades back (prior to WW-II) Sturmey Archer produced internal planetary geared 2 speed fixed gear hubs. I've been riding one on and off for the last 45 years or so. They also produced a 3-speed version later on, and both of these are collectors items today.

I believe that similar hubs have been reprised recently, but can't confirm whether this is so.
Last I checked they still do.
Old 01-01-17, 11:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Sturmey-Archer makes a fix gear 3-speed, the S3X. Sturmey-Archer | Products. The mechanic in my shop and Sheldon Brown who used to come by and hang out both had S-A fix gears.

Ben
Old 01-01-17, 11:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
O_Pinion and Fixed-gear?

Originally Posted by readygetsetBen
Hey all, just had a thought about using internal gearboxes like pinion to run a geared fixed-gear (or rather a coast-less geared-gear?)and was curious as to whether it had been done before. Does anyone know of a set-up like this? Maybe there's something about gearbox technology that wouldn't allow fixed-gear that I am unaware of?
Thanks everyone!
Might be a reason to start towards an BS & MS in in Mechanical engineering at a University..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-02-17 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-01-17, 11:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
So, you want a 3-speed fixie? I suppose such a thing could be made, by locking the sprocket on a 3-speed IGH, but i'm not sure how well it would work.
The actual 'shift' between gears is made, the wheels, cranks and the rest of the driveline are all moving at different speeds. The freewheel allows for those little differences to even out as the gear ratios change.
Basically, what you want to do is like shifting a manual transmission, without using the clutch, or backing off the throttle. It can be done, it just won't be pretty.
Sorry, but no. You cannot easily convert a typical 3s (AW type) hub to a fixed version. The system depends on overrunning clutches (freewheel ratchets) to function.

Fixed hubs directly drive the shell through the planet system and use sliding clutches with dead spots between gears to ensure that 2 different gears can't be engaged simultaneously (which would lock up the hub).

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-01-17, 11:42 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by TimothyH
What problem are you trying to solve?

Why not just run a normal fixed gear?
Having ridden multiple speed fixed gears on and off for years, I can tell you that it's like eating your cake and having it too. You enjoy the various benefits of fixed gear riding, yet have expanded hill climbing capabilities.

Or you can set the up hub with higher gearing than otherwise, knowing that you can downshift if/when needed. My 2 speed fixed hub is set up roughly 10% higher than I normally ride fixed, giving me a higher cruising speed on the flats, yet still giving me the flexibility for hills.

Old 01-02-17, 04:19 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
I read the opening post as asking whether there is, was, or could be such a thing as a fixed-gear bike with a chainless shaft drive. No mention was made of multiple gearing.

If I read that correctly, here's a Wikipedia page on the topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaft-driven_bicycle
Old 01-02-17, 07:18 AM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I read the opening post as asking whether there is, was, or could be such a thing as a fixed-gear bike with a chainless shaft drive. No mention was made of multiple gearing.

If I read that correctly, here's a Wikipedia page on the topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaft-driven_bicycle
Thanks everyone!
I guess the OP's use of the term "geared-gear" and "gear box" hinted at multiple gears. But the use of the term "pinion" certainly brings up images of a bevel-box final drive found at the end of shaft drives.

Good thread: I can now see how a multiple gear fixie could be of value. Learn something new everyday.
Old 01-02-17, 07:23 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Sturmey Archer has a 3 speed fixed gear hub in current production. The S3X has the bottom 3 ratios of the wide range 5 speed, (now out of production), with the top gear being direct drive.
The range could be expanded by adding a Sclumpf 2 speed crank set, but the combined gear lash of the two mechanisms would drive any dedicated fixie rider crazy.
I have no direct experience with the Pinion gearbox, and I could not tell you if it has a freewheeling mechanism, but even if it didn't, it would certainly have significant lash, as any gear assembly must.
As the Pinion box becomes more common, as I believe it will for certain applications, it would be interesting to see somebody try it.
Hmmmm.
Old 01-02-17, 07:25 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by Gweedo1
I guess the OP's use of the term "geared-gear" and "gear box" hinted at multiple gears. But the use of the term "pinion" certainly brings up images of a bevel-box final drive found at the end of shaft drives.

Good thread: I can now see how a multiple gear fixie could be of value. Learn something new everyday.
Pinion is a brand name of a bottom bracket mounted multi speed transmission.

PINION | DRIVE TECHNOLOGY | | bicycle gearboxes ? made in germany
Old 01-02-17, 07:33 AM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Pinion is a brand name of a bottom bracket mounted multi speed transmission.

PINION | DRIVE TECHNOLOGY | | bicycle gearboxes ? made in germany
Ahahaha...thanks for setting me straight! Like I said...learn something new everyday.

Just took a quick look at that link and...just wow! But..not exactly a bolt on option is it?
Old 01-02-17, 09:09 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
You cannot easily convert a typical 3s (AW type) hub to a fixed version. The system depends on overrunning clutches (freewheel ratchets) to function.
FWIW, Sheldon Brown describes a method to convert a 3-speed AW hub into a 2-speed fixed gear hub. Haven't tried it myself, though:

Converting a Sturmey-Archer AW Hub Into a Two-speed Fixed Gear
Old 01-02-17, 10:18 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by Gweedo1
Ahahaha...thanks for setting me straight! Like I said...learn something new everyday.

Just took a quick look at that link and...just wow! But..not exactly a bolt on option is it?
Correct. It is not made for aftermarket retrofit. The frame must be designed to have the gearbox housing built into it.
Old 01-02-17, 10:25 AM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
thanks everyone, I guess I should have been more specific

My question was whether or not anyone has used a bottom bracket mounted gear system (like Pinion's) to make a geared fixie. I'm well aware of the fixed gear hubs, but I've read that they just don't feel right. Someone was talking about gear lash, could someone please explain that concept to me?
Old 01-02-17, 10:46 AM
Dan Burkhart 

. Someone was talking about gear lash, could someone please explain that concept to me?
Any assembly which has gear teeth in mesh must have a a small degree of free movement between those teeth to prevent binding in the mechanism. The term for this free movement is gear lash.
The internal mechanism of a hub has several points of power transmission, each of which must have this lash. It's cumulative, so the more points of engagement along the flow of power, the more accumulated lash in the train.
More info here.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-ba...isadvantageous
Old 01-02-17, 11:02 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Having ridden multiple speed fixed gears on and off for years,
So that would be a niche market segment of a niche market segment.
Old 01-02-17, 11:04 AM
readygetsetBen

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by retro grouch
so that would be a niche market segment of a niche market segment.
hahahahahahaha!!
Old 01-02-17, 11:05 AM
readygetsetBen

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Any assembly which has gear teeth in mesh must have a a small degree of free movement between those teeth to prevent binding in the mechanism. The term for this free movement is gear lash.
The internal mechanism of a hub has several points of power transmission, each of which must have this lash. It's cumulative, so the more points of engagement along the flow of power, the more accumulated lash in the train.
More info here.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-ba...isadvantageous
Thanks man!
Old 01-02-17, 11:33 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So that would be a niche market segment of a niche market segment.
Yeah, that narrows it down.
Old 01-02-17, 11:37 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Thanks man!
You're welcome. And for more on how fixed gear hubs work, there's this.

Old 01-02-17, 12:56 PM
FBinNY 

My question was whether or not anyone has used a bottom bracket mounted gear system (like Pinion's) to make a geared fixie. I'm well aware of the fixed gear hubs, but I've read that they just don't feel right. Someone was talking about gear lash, could someone please explain that concept to me?
I don't see a problem with using a BB epicyclic (planetary) drive with a fixed gear hub. It might actually be more mechanically efficient, though that shouldn't be a factor.

As for gear lash, that's simply a sub category of backlash which is an issue in mechanical systems. Both because of manufacturing tolerances, and to ensure low friction operation, systems are built with a bit of play. So, there's a bit of free play between the parts when engaged forward and reverse. In a car, you hear and feel it as a click (or clank) when you shift from forward to reverse.

If you've been riding fixed for a while, you know about this already. You keep a bit of slack in the chain to allow for the eccentricity in the sprockets. When you reverse torque the tension shifts from the upper to lower loop, and there's a bit of backlash you can feel in the pedals. IME, with the hubs I've used, the internal backlash is no more than that in the chain, so I don't consider it an issue.

Of course, whether hub backlash is an issue at all depends on the relative precision of the hub vs. sprockets, and how tight you can safely run the chain. Unless it's extreme, you adapt and don't notice it when riding.

Old 01-02-17, 12:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
tI'm well aware of the fixed gear hubs, but I've read that they just don't feel right. Someone was talking about gear lash, could someone please explain that concept to me?
Other people here have already explained why some lash is necessary; I can tell you what it feels like on the road. It feels like riding a fixed gear bike with a slightly loose chain. That's all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.