Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When 3D printers are perfected....?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 01:05 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

While 3D printers are insanely cool and high tech, I think the technology is still pretty young. That being said, when they're at the star trek replicator level, I'd like to reproduce myself a set of Cannondale Coda Cranks. Does anyone have any requests for the future technology? In other words, what intricate, rare to find, or vintage bike part/frame would you like replicated for yourself? I'm super interested because I know there are some really creative people on this forum. Thanks anyone for replying!
Old 01-17-17, 01:26 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I f I had a Star Trek kind of replicator at my disposal and I had bicycle parts on my mind I think I would have myself committed. What a waste of resources! Now if I could replicate other things....well..... I like what Michael York replicated/ sent for when he got Jennifer Agutter oh my!
Old 01-17-17, 01:37 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Well, since this is a bicycling forum, I'd take a Suntour New Winner/Winner Pro cog board fully stocked, a clone of a Preciray truing stand, and a 56cm Alex Singer randonneur frameset, 56cm top tube, please. Seriously, what materials can really be manipulated with a 3D printer. A simple replacement cog for a cassette or freewheel, for instance, would have to get the equivalent of forging or stamping, machining, and plating. How much real manipulation of metal can those things really do yet?
Old 01-17-17, 01:44 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Why waste time on bicycle parts when you make make a harem of sex robots?
Old 01-17-17, 01:57 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is going to be a while before 3-D printers can do steel, if ever. Current 3-D printers work with soft materials.
Old 01-17-17, 01:57 PM
tyrion

Seriously, one thing I thought of would be making a fitted saddle. You'd have to sit on some kind of sensor that maps your butt and sit bones, then the printer would make a saddle to your specs. Like an already-broken-in leather saddle, but lighter and flexibility tailored to your weight.

They wouldn't necessarily need be custom though, you could have a hundred different models for various sizes and weights, and just order the pre-existing design that fits you best. I believe the cost of having many, many different models would be much lower than it would be with conventional manufacturing.
Old 01-17-17, 01:58 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by Phloom
It is going to be a while before 3-D printers can do steel, if ever. Current 3-D printers work with soft materials.
They can already work with steel, aluminum and titanium.

First metal 3D printed bicycle frame manufactured by Renishaw for Empire Cycles
Old 01-17-17, 02:05 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Phloom
No, you can print using sintered metal. Aircraft engine and rocket parts printed using the technology operate at high temperature and under high stresses.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 01-17-17, 02:14 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by SloButWide
No, you can print using sintered metal. Aircraft engine and rocket parts printed using the technology operate at high temperature and under high stresses.
I am working on a medical device in its early stages of production and rather than invest in MIM (metal injection molding) tooling right from the onset, we're using DMLS 17-4PH stainless steel parts for a highly complicated but critical piece of a laparoscopic device. The basic strength of the sintered material is pretty much on par with the sheet metal equivalent, but by using a sintered or molded part it can be functional much stronger due to features unobtainable using formed sheet metal. The part has a nominal thickness of 0.5mm (.020") with some features as thin as 0.3mm (.012").

Your typical hobbyist 3D printer (FDM plastic) need not apply, though they are still useful for many things.
Old 01-17-17, 02:17 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Originally Posted by readygetsetBen
I'd like to reproduce myself a set of Cannondale Coda Cranks.
No reason to 3D print something like that. CAD it up and have it CNC'ed. They'll likely be cheaper produced that way than 3D printed in metal, no matter how cheap that process gets (it's currently quite expensive). Best of all, there's nothing stopping you from doing it today.
Old 01-17-17, 02:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
There is that whole pesky copyright and patent law thing.

You can't just replicate designs that others own. To do so is stealing, the same as if you reached into the owner's pocket and took their wallet.

Lots of people do it. Nations do it wholesale. The fact it is done doesn't make it right.

-Tim-
Old 01-17-17, 02:30 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joejack951
I am working on a medical device in its early stages of production and rather than invest in MIM (metal injection molding) tooling right from the onset, we're using DMLS 17-4PH stainless steel parts for a highly complicated but critical piece of a laparoscopic device. The basic strength of the sintered material is pretty much on par with the sheet metal equivalent, but by using a sintered or molded part it can be functional much stronger due to features unobtainable using formed sheet metal. The part has a nominal thickness of 0.5mm (.020") with some features as thin as 0.3mm (.012").

Your typical hobbyist 3D printer (FDM plastic) need not apply, though they are still useful for many things.
Sounds very expensive. 3-D printing will definitely have its place but not for everything. When we can finally make some Star Trek technology happen, a replicator should be capable of reproducing anything. But we need the ability of converting matter into energy and back to matter. Not easy and potentially very dangerous.
Old 01-17-17, 02:37 PM
joejack951

Originally Posted by TimothyH
There is that whole pesky copyright and patent law thing.

You can't just replicate designs that others own. To do so is stealing, the same as if you reached into the owner's pocket and took their wallet.

Lots of people do it. Nations do it wholesale. The fact it is done doesn't make it right.
If this is in reference to the OP's request to reproduce a set of Coda cranks for himself then it's irrelevant.
Old 01-17-17, 02:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by readygetsetBen
That being said, when they're at the star trek replicator level, I'd like to reproduce myself a set of Cannondale Coda Cranks.

You don't have to wait any longer. I will sell you the Coda crank set off my 1998 Cannondale T700. But wait! There's more! I will throw in the decrepit frame and assorted parts the cranks are attached to, which has been decomposing in various locations since about 2000. Just pay separate shipping and handling charges.
Old 01-17-17, 02:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
If this is in reference to the OP's request to reproduce a set of Coda cranks for himself then it's irrelevant.
Help me understand.

It is legal to copy a patented design and use it for personal, not for profit purposes?

I'm asking out of ignorance and thought you couldn't do that. It certainly isn't legal for copyrighted music, for example.

-Tim-
Old 01-17-17, 03:13 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
It is actually not irrelevant. If you mean it is unlikely that he will be caught or prosecuted, well yeah, but that doesn't make it legal. If the patent owner wished to sue, they could.

https://www.uspto.gov/patents-mainta...t-infringement

Patent infringement is the act of making, using, selling, or offering to sell a patented invention, or importing into the United States a product covered by a claim of a patent without the permission of the patent owner.
That said, patent protection on most C&V parts would likely have run out long ago.
Old 01-17-17, 03:21 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Help me understand.

It is legal to copy a patented design and use it for personal, not for profit purposes?
IANAL, but I don't see why not. As long as you're not mass producing someone else's patented design and selling them, I don't see what damages they could try to sue you for (especially if they never know about it). Seems like every time someone gets into trouble for copying something which is patented or copyrighted, they are trying to sell something. I've never heard of anyone being sued for copying a design for their own personal use. Of course, a lawyer could always send a cease-and-desist letter but it's only about as good as the paper it's printed on. What are they going to do, come to your house and take the crank set off your bike?
Old 01-17-17, 03:26 PM
shafter

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want my Trek 1220 back, the whole thing.
Old 01-17-17, 03:38 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Campy Record brakes from the 60's. I wouldn't even need a bike to hang them on - just a glass topped coffee table.
Old 01-17-17, 04:10 PM
tyrion

No, it's not legal. If it's patented.

Doesn't Bikes Direct blatantly copy some frames? Maybe you can't patent the exact dimensions of something.
Old 01-17-17, 05:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I actually looked into getting a first generation Sturmey Archer S-5 IGH plastic dual lever shifter 3D printed after breaking one of mine. The 3D printing wasn't the expensive part, it was the 3D scanning to create the print file that was the deal breaker. Found a 2nd gen metal set instead.
Old 01-17-17, 05:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Metal, to reach its full strength, must be worked and heat treated. Carbon fibers must be laid very close together and well trapped in their resin. (You could argue a carbon fiber winder is a "3D printer" but not in the sense most people are thinking.) So anything that takes a big stress, like lightweight frames or cranksets or rims or spokes, are probably out.

But it's going to be used for a lot of other parts.

I'm sort of fascinated by the guy who built the house-sized 3D printer that pours concrete
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-17-17, 08:20 PM
joejack951

Originally Posted by jefnvk
It is actually not irrelevant. If you mean it is unlikely that he will be caught or prosecuted, well yeah, but that doesn't make it legal. If the patent owner wished to sue, they could.
So my original 'irrelevant' comment was due to my mistaken interpretation of patent law in that only commercial use of a patented invention was infringement. Interestingly, the Wiki on patents says the same thing but the USPTO description suggest any use is infringement.

I find that interesting for several reasons mainly because I can think of so many gray areas with regards to who actually infringed. For example, you can infringe on a patent for selling an item with the intent that it will be combined with another item and infringe on a patent. And if any use is considered infringement, making something with the intent to combine it with something to make a patented item is also infringing. The seller of the 'other item' can have no knowledge of what is happening and theoretically would not be liable. However, assume that they found out that some people were buying their product to combine with the original infringer's product or something they made to make a patented item. Are they supposed to interrogate everyone buying their product now even though their product and its intended use in now infringes on the patent? If they suspected it but did nothing it would seem they could be held liable for infringing which seems ridiculous.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
That said, patent protection on most C&V parts would likely have run out long ago.
If I had just lied and suggested this was intent of my comment I'd have been right Did Cannondale even patent anything on the Coda cranks?
Old 01-17-17, 09:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
in the U.S., there is no personal use exception to a patent. There is also no iron-clad educational use exception to violating a patent. That being said, I doubt that by copying a part with your Star Trek replicator that you would violate any patents, and the patent holders wouldn't come after you if you did. Unless you mistakenly bragged about it on social media and it went viral.

Bikes are being sold now with metal 3d printed parts. Lots of Ti builders are using 3d printed parts. Seems to me that it's going to become very common
Old 01-17-17, 09:32 PM
joejack951

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Metal, to reach its full strength, must be worked and heat treated. Carbon fibers must be laid very close together and well trapped in their resin. (You could argue a carbon fiber winder is a "3D printer" but not in the sense most people are thinking.) So anything that takes a big stress, like lightweight frames or cranksets or rims or spokes, are probably out.
Not only does the sintering process impart a heat treatment on DMLS parts, but the parts can be further heat treated as necessary. For example: https://www.stratasysdirect.com/wp-c...ifications.pdf

As compared to: https://www.aksteel.com/pdf/markets_p...data_sheet.pdf

Specifically, look at the similarities between 'DMLS As-Built' and 17-4PH condition H1150-M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.