Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Barcons from downtube shifter levers? (campagnolo)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-21-19, 10:20 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello all,

I acquired some Campagnolo downtube shifter levers (just the levers, no more other hardware as per picture) and was wondering if this was enough to somehow come away with some bar end friction shifters, or if they're at least enough to use on the gevenalle shifters? Ideally though I'm after good old fashioned bar end shifters. Thanks!
(if nothing can be done, I'd love ideas for any bike themed things I can use them for, maybe as a zipper, key chain, etc. )
Old 05-22-19, 08:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lever only.... missing all the other important washer parts ...

Their classic friction only bar end shifters is part number 1012/3.. in catalog # 17 publ 74..
Old 05-22-19, 10:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I suspect that unless you are quite skilled at fabrication the results of trying to make a friction pack for these levers will be poor. I have worked on a number of friction only bar ends over the years and compared to the Sun Tours (and less so the Shimanos) they suck. Very high friction needed to hold the cable from moving with steering swings or bumps and very hard to smoothly move the lever or trim it finely. Andy
Old 05-22-19, 11:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

you can just use those on your key ring, and buy Gevenalle shifters complete..

... with what looks like a good enough , though not Campy, lever .. can you use that lever you have?

Buy & try..

Old 05-22-19, 11:57 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
The bar-end shifter pods from Rivendell would let you mount any Campagnolo-copy downtube friction shifter (Zeus, SunTour Cyclone/Superbe, etc.) as a bar-end shifter, but you still need all the missing bolts and compression washers, as @AndrewRStewart and @fietsbob note above.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/sil...nts-pair-17068
Old 05-22-19, 01:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

They including the square hole washer in the package these days?

I have 4 _1012/3 on 2 bikes with old RD/FD,
that don't need much cable pull across 6 speeds

More modern (read Slant Panto) do need more cable pull...

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-22-19 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 01:32 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The bar-end shifter pods from Rivendell would let you mount any Campagnolo-copy downtube friction shifter (Zeus, SunTour Cyclone/Superbe, etc.) as a bar-end shifter, but you still need all the missing bolts and compression washers, as @AndrewRStewart and @fietsbob note above.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/sil...nts-pair-17068
Like fietsbob asked are they including some washers and parts along with the pods because the picture seems to suggest yes. I'll contact Rivendell directly and see if I'm in any luck.
Old 05-22-19, 01:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Might be better off getting the complete 'silver shifter' set pods levers and all

The reproduction of the micro ratchet Sun Tour Sprint is using a down tube lever...
& function well ..

you have to scrounge eBay & old bike shops for the campag small parts...
Old 05-27-19, 11:57 AM
readygetsetBen

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So I contacted Rivendell and with or without the washers these would not have worked with their bar end pods. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 05-30-19, 12:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by readygetsetBen
So I contacted Rivendell and with or without the washers these would not have worked with their bar end pods. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Be grateful. I had those shifters in complete form as downtube shifters on an '85 Bridgestone. They would not hold their tension adjustment and after a few shifts would loosen enough to allow "ghost" shifting. A bit of research told me that was a common problem and even pro teams sponsored by Campy replaced the Campy shifters with Simplex Retrofriction levers.

I replaced mine with Sun Tour Cyclone "Power Ratchet" shifters and the problem never reoccured.

These days the "Silver Shifters" sold by Rivendale and Gevenalle are about the best new friction downtube/barend levers you can get.