Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stem Clamp Diameter for this Salsa Stem?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 06:50 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hey all. Looking for info on this Salsa stem, specifically stem clamp diameter. The guy who sold it to me says he thinks it's 26.0, but I can't find any markings to indicate if that's true. Anyone know for certain? Thanks!
Old 02-25-20, 05:24 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
That hole doesn't even look round any more. I don't know how you would safely mount any handlebar in that, unless its some kind of optical illusion in the picture.
Old 02-25-20, 07:51 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I'd expect it to be 25.4. An MTB stem that's several years old? Road stem that age, maybe 26.0.
Old 02-25-20, 08:02 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I would normally suggest measuring the inside of the clamp, but I suspect with that stem you'd get 26.5 in one direction and 23.1 in another.

I wouldn't use that stem if I had any other option. The damage to the clamp is significant.
Old 02-25-20, 10:25 AM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I would normally suggest measuring the inside of the clamp, but I suspect with that stem you'd get 26.5 in one direction and 23.1 in another.

I wouldn't use that stem if I had any other option. The damage to the clamp is significant.
Yeah there's definitely no damage to the stem at all. It's just the angle of the picture hahaha. Don't worry. But if you have any product information or anything of that nature that would be really helpful.
Old 02-25-20, 10:25 AM
readygetsetBen

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsaul
That hole doesn't even look round any more. I don't know how you would safely mount any handlebar in that, unless its some kind of optical illusion in the picture.
Definitely an illusion!
Old 02-25-20, 10:27 AM
readygetsetBen

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thumpism
I'd expect it to be 25.4. An MTB stem that's several years old? Road stem that age, maybe 26.0.
There's a lot of old Salsa stems floating around with a 26.0 clamp, and this one might be for dirt drops. Definitely by an MTB brand but is it an MTB stem? I cannot say for sure! Hoping someone has catalog info or something of the sort!
Old 02-25-20, 10:44 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Angle of the photo ?, BS. The stem looks deformed from over tightening of the bolt. It's aluminum and that can happen. I'd not be using that stem as it might crack just above the bolt on the face. I've seen stems fail that way, especially well used 1" single bolt stems. Rider goes endo when that happens.
Old 02-25-20, 01:23 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Angle of the photo ?, BS. The stem looks deformed from over tightening of the bolt. It's aluminum and that can happen. I'd not be using that stem as it might crack just above the bolt on the face. I've seen stems fail that way, especially well used 1" single bolt stems. Rider goes endo when that happens.
Are you sure it's aluminum? The weld looks more like a steel weld to me.
Old 02-25-20, 02:10 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
double post

Last edited by DorkDisk; 02-25-20 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 02:12 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
IIRC its not a parallel surface; it has an angled cut on either side, similar to this
Old 02-25-20, 03:11 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
If you don’t have calipers to measure it, just try to put some bars of known diameter in there. The chance of someone here coming up with a reliable definitive answer is slim.
Old 02-25-20, 09:40 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Take a piece of paper about 100mm x 40mm. roll it up around the long dimension. Put it in the stem and push the paper inside the stem with your finger to unroll the paper, tight against the outside of the stem. Make a pen mark where the edge of the paper is. Unroll the paper, and measure from the edge to the mark. Divide by 3.142. Should have the diameter or thereabouts.
Old 02-26-20, 03:17 AM
readygetsetBen

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hahaha why are you so aggro about someone else's stem? It's in my hands right now. I can guarantee you it's not deformed. I wasn't asking "is my stem deformed or not?" I'm asking if anyone knows what the stem clamp diameter is.
Old 02-26-20, 03:19 AM
readygetsetBen

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AeroGut
If you don’t have calipers to measure it, just try to put some bars of known diameter in there. The chance of someone here coming up with a reliable definitive answer is slim.
I know it's a long shot but I was hoping it'd be a popular model or something haha
Old 02-26-20, 03:20 AM
readygetsetBen

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
IIRC its not a parallel surface; it has an angled cut on either side, similar to this
That is similar to how it looks from the front. Certainly not deformed...
Old 02-26-20, 03:21 AM
readygetsetBen

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Take a piece of paper about 100mm x 40mm. roll it up around the long dimension. Put it in the stem and push the paper inside the stem with your finger to unroll the paper, tight against the outside of the stem. Make a pen mark where the edge of the paper is. Unroll the paper, and measure from the edge to the mark. Divide by 3.142. Should have the diameter or thereabouts.
I'll give this a go if I can't find anything else! Thanks!
Old 02-26-20, 11:11 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by readygetsetBen
Hahaha why are you so aggro about someone else's stem? It's in my hands right now. I can guarantee you it's not deformed. I wasn't asking "is my stem deformed or not?" I'm asking if anyone knows what the stem clamp diameter is.
You are absolutely correct, an uncalled for attitude on my part. Apologies and as others have picked up on, the photo doesn't show the whole story and it also might be steel.