Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Advice on riding to Santa Cruz and back

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 12:15 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

Some time ago I did a ride from Pescadero to Santa Cruz and back. It was really nice. Probably the most gorgeous ride I've ever done. And most of it had good shoulder room, which was good. I get the sense you need to go on a weekday and when the weather is good. When I went it was in the middle of the week, so there weren't a whole lot of cars. But on the way back, while I was going up this big hill, the wind was really strong and I felt like I was almost getting pushed. I can see how that can be dangerous. So would you go on days that the wind is under a certain mph?

Also, do you know of any train/bus that will get you back to Pescadero or HMB from Santa Cruz? It's much funner to go North to South, then South to North.

I'm not sure where highway 1 picks up once you get to Santa Cruz either. I know it goes all the way to San Diego, but in Santa Cruz it seems to turn into a freeway.
Old 09-16-20, 04:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Don't. Please.

Just to elaborate, we've been hit pretty hard by the fire, and are particularly vulnerable to the pandemic due to the ca. 1000 families who lost their homes, and many more (like me) who dodged the bullet but were still displaced for a month. There are swarms of utility vehicles everywhere, and the burn along the coast in some places goes all the way down to the sand. It is worse in the hills.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 09-16-20 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 05:00 PM
Bosco13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 18 Posts
Make it a loop. Hwy 1 -> Hwy 9 -> Skyline (Hwy 35) -> Hwy 84. Stop at Apple Jacks in La Honda and give my buddy some business.
Old 09-21-20, 08:20 AM
totheDude

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Don't. Please.
I have to wonder about a post like this. I’m sorry you got hit by the fires. But how does somebody coming over for a ride, or to go to the beach, cause you any harm? Surely you are not suggesting we could spread Covid via bike rides?

The coast and beaches are for everyone’s enjoyment, and you profit from this tourism as well. You can’t just arbitrarily close the beaches, like it was done on Labor Day weekend for no good reason by the cities of SC, Aptos, Carmel, etc. I know you don’t like us Bay Area residents to come over, but these are public roads and places and everyone is entitled to use them, as long as one follows social distancing etc.
Old 09-21-20, 08:41 AM
Bosco13

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 18 Posts
I forgot about the fires and fire damage. Probably worth checking into before you go. My brother had to cancel his yearly golf trip to Boulder Creek because of them.
Old 09-21-20, 08:59 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by totheDude
I have to wonder about a post like this. I’m sorry you got hit by the fires. But how does somebody coming over for a ride, or to go to the beach, cause you any harm? Surely you are not suggesting we could spread Covid via bike rides?
I wasn't suggesting that, but he most certainly could.

The coast and beaches are for everyone’s enjoyment, and you profit from this tourism as well. You can’t just arbitrarily close the beaches, like it was done on Labor Day weekend for no good reason by the cities of SC, Aptos, Carmel, etc. I know you don’t like us Bay Area residents to come over, but these are public roads and places and everyone is entitled to use them, as long as one follows social distancing etc.
Public health concerns are hardly "no good reason." If you are a COVID-denier, please stop whining that not everyone is marching in lockstep to your imaginary world-view. The current death toll of 200,000 is an international embarrassment.

When the beaches are closed to the public, and people are parking illegally all over highway 1, Bonny Doon road, etc, they are inhibiting traffic flow, including the massive amounts of traffic involved in utility restoration. People in Swanton, for example, still don't have electricity, and are still under mandatory evacuation. Helicopters are still putting out spot fires.

CAL Fire, PG&E, etc, are also entitled not to be gratuitously exposed to the virus any more than they have to be under the current circumstances. Try thinking of the well-being of people other than yourself for a few seconds.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-21-20, 09:15 AM
totheDude

I wasn't suggesting that, but he most certainly could.

Public health concerns are hardly "no good reason." If you are a COVID-denier, please stop whining that not everyone is marching in lockstep to your imaginary world-view. The current death toll of 200,000 is an international embarrassment.

When the beaches are closed to the public, and people are parking illegally all over highway 1, Bonny Doon road, etc, they are inhibiting traffic flow, including the massive amounts of traffic involved in utility restoration. People in Swanton, for example, still don't have electricity, and are still under mandatory evacuation. Helicopters are still putting out spot fires.

CAL Fire, PG&E, etc, are also entitled not to be gratuitously exposed to the virus any more than they have to be under the current circumstances. Try thinking of the well-being of people other than yourself for a few seconds.
I am not a covid denier. But my family has been trapped at home for six months. Going to the beach was our only summer recreation. Whenever we went to the beach (almost every weekend), we NEVER saw any reason for covid 19 concerns. There were NEVER crowds, everyone kept distance, etc. I am 100% sure that I will never get infected, or infect somebody, at the beach. Closing the beaches on the hottest summer weekend was an act of selfishness, and an unjustified one at that. Breakup large crowd gatherings, don't prohibit families from using beaches while observing Covid protocols.

Please don't try to justify closing beaches in SC county as a Covid-19 measure. It's laughable.

You still have't explained how bike riders spread Covid. The chance of that happening is infinitesimal.
Old 09-21-20, 09:25 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Please don't try to justify closing beaches in SC county as a Covid-19 measure. It's laughable.
Your baseless claim certainly makes me laugh.

You still have't explained how bike riders spread Covid. The chance of that happening is infinitesimal.
If he stays on the bike the whole time, and rides by himself, I agree. But when he stops to get food, drinks, relieve himself, etc., it is a different story.
Old 09-21-20, 09:27 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Irony sure can be ironic:

Sorry Geekage, this is a public forum and I expressed my opinion--with the hope of dissuading others from doing it.

You want to cycle on Central? Suit yourself. But you can't control how other people feel about that.

And BTW, I think I have a reasonably high risk tolerance, but I would never do that.
Old 09-21-20, 08:29 PM
totheDude

Your baseless claim certainly makes me laugh.
What is baseless? I gave you reasons why a Covid infection from the beach, given local conditions, is not happening. Still waiting to hear from you why you think otherwise. Bring arguments.

If he stays on the bike the whole time, and rides by himself, I agree. But when he stops to get food, drinks, relieve himself, etc., it is a different story.
And how's that different from locals doing the same thing?
So you don't want us to patronize your local businesses and get drinks and food. Great. Next time we will bring all of our food and drinks from home. See how your local businesses will fare.

And yes, we need to relieve ourselves--unlike you, I guess. How exactly does that spread Covid?

Your selfishness is so transparent.
Old 09-21-20, 08:35 PM
totheDude

Rene Herse?

(pun intended)
Since you started quoting unrelated posts. Is this typical of yours?
Old 09-21-20, 08:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

What is baseless? I gave you reasons why a Covid infection from the beach, given local conditions, is not happening. Still waiting to hear from you why you think otherwise. Bring arguments.

And how's that different from locals doing the same thing?
So you don't want us to patronize your local businesses and get drinks and food. Great. Next time we will bring all of our food and drinks from home. See how your local businesses will fare.

And yes, we need to relieve ourselves--unlike you, I guess. How exactly does that spread Covid?

Your selfishness is so transparent.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...hes-pools.html

https://www.infectiousdiseaseadvisor...on-sars-cov-2/

We have a SARS-CoV-2 sub-forum, in the unlikely event you are interested in anything apart from a display of self-righteous indignation.

I'm sure somehow we will scrape by without you spending $3 on a bottle of Gator Aid at the 7-11.

https://mbosc.org/2020/08/czu-lightn...an-do-to-help/
https://www.santacruz.org/travel-advisory-information/

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 09-21-20 at 09:11 PM.