Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Best route from downtown San Mateo to Canada Road

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 11:14 PM
cenolage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was originally planning on doing Crystal Springs Rd -> Skyline Blvd -> Canada Rd, but read that Crystal Springs Rd is highly trafficked and not a good bike route. (I think I also read that the Skyline Blvd and 92 intersection is bad.) Maybe some route that goes to Ralston Ave Bike Trail would be better? Anyone familiar with this area?
Old 11-17-20, 02:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by cenolage
Was originally planning on doing Crystal Springs Rd -> Skyline Blvd -> Canada Rd, but read that Crystal Springs Rd is highly trafficked and not a good bike route. (I think I also read that the Skyline Blvd and 92 intersection is bad.) Maybe some route that goes to Ralston Ave Bike Trail would be better? Anyone familiar with this area?
Where'd you read THAT?

I ride Crystal Springs at least once a week, both directions, and during the summer up to 3 times a week. LOTS of cyclists do. On Sunday mornings if you're riding it you'll hardly ever be out of sight of another cyclist on that road, and that's with all the curves! In 25 years I've never had a close pass or anything like that. Because of the volume of bike traffic, the drivers tend to be pretty well behaved.

It depends on what you're used to and your tolerance, but I would not describe Crystal springs as 'highly trafficked' unless your standard is an empty country road nobody ever drives on. I'd say the average day I'll be passed maybe 2-3 times between Alameda and Polhemus. There's an 'all way' stop at Crystal Springs and Skyline, and a traffic light with inductor loops at Skyline and 92. Skyline from Bunker Hill to 92 lacks a shoulder, but it's a fast ride so you won't necessarily need a shoulder. Polhemus has a wide bike lane from Crystal Springs all the way to the top of the Ralston Trail, but it's a long, boring slog.

Coming back from Canada, Polhemus is a lot easier. Fast, mostly straight, with a wide bike lane. Skyline makes you climb with almost no shoulder, which can be scary if you're not used to it, but the descent from Bunker Hill to the dam, and especially from the dam back down to Polhemus is a blast!

Alternatives? Well, frankly, every other way is a lot steeper and no less heavily trafficked. Crystal Springs is popular with cyclists because it IS the best way to ride from San Mateo to Canada Road. I don't know what you're used to, or what your comfort level is. Try Crystal Springs some Sunday morning. You may see me there.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 11-17-20 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-17-20, 02:25 PM
cenolage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I read it from a post here, maybe I'm mistaken or it was a super old post. Thanks for the reassurance and all the details, I'll try out Crystal Springs then.

Last edited by cenolage; 11-17-20 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-17-20, 09:21 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 119 Posts
A +1 to Crystal Springs, but it is narrow. Cars do pass. Overwhelmingly, they are patient and well behaved about passing, but not universally.

My 10 year old rides it fine, he sometimes makes me a little nervous with weaving.

But I just wanted to call out for future readers who might wonder about conflicting information: A rider without much experience of sharing roads with cars might struggle to "ride narrow", or be freaked out by a car passing with 2ft of clearance rather than half-a-lane.