Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2021 Zipp 303 Firecrest opinions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 06:41 PM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts

Anyone running these on the road? I want to put them on my SL7 for climbing/ all arounders for more windy days. They are hookless and look like max tire pressure in the 70's. When not on the SL7 I was going to use them on my gravel bike. Any thoughts?
Old 03-11-21, 07:24 PM
AUPedla

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts
I've only used them on the road but I rate them, they are my first set of carbon wheels though. I describe it a bit like moving from alloy to carbon MTB bars, it takes out the small bump/vibration/harmonics and makes the ride nice and supple. That could also be the lower tyre pressures too. I'm running Pirelli P Zero race tyres @ 62 rear 58 front, don't read that if you're in the 100PSI brigade. To date I haven't been knocked around by the wind and I have ridden in some windy conditions. The freewheel sounds like a hive of angry bees, so if you're not into that then best find another set of wheels. I also noticed they roll downhill faster but don't keep their momentum like the heavier DT swiss alloy wheels I had fitted previously.

Likes For AUPedla:
Old 03-11-21, 07:56 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
For almost 1\3 of the price you can pick up a pair of Light Bicycle Wheels which have an excellent reputation plus you can pick the hubs of your choice. The big savings are because you are bypassing multiple layers of markups, marketing costs and inventory costs.
Old 03-11-21, 10:49 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I haven’t owned Zipps in awhile, so maybe things are better, but their hubs were not the best.
Old 03-11-21, 11:05 PM
Hapsmo911

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
For almost 1\3 of the price you can pick up a pair of Light Bicycle Wheels which have an excellent reputation plus you can pick the hubs of your choice. The big savings are because you are bypassing multiple layers of markups, marketing costs and inventory costs.

I had a look at their website. I built a set up with 240 hubs and they were priced around 1300.00? They do seem to have decent ratings and maybe with a different hub and some cheaper spokes they would price better. 🤔 but for 600 the Zipp warranty is the deal breaker.
Likes For Hapsmo911:
Old 03-11-21, 11:09 PM
Hapsmo911

Originally Posted by colnago62
I haven’t owned Zipps in awhile, so maybe things are better, but their hubs were not the best.

This is what I heard as well. They do have a new hub they claim of course, is better. I would just get another set of Enve's but the wait is 6 months. Ive never owned Zipps. With the price reduction and their new warranty I think I am willing to gove them a try? Hunt is tempting but they have literally no wheels in stock and the dates keep getting pushed back. My LBS has the Zipps in stock and are holding a set for me to pickup this weekend.
Old 03-12-21, 02:33 AM
AUPedla

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapsmo911
I would just get another set of Enve's but the wait is 6 months. Ive never owned Zipps. With the price reduction and their new warranty I think I am willing to gove them a try?
I also looked at the Enve's but I didn't see the benefits for the Enve price premium and my LBS had the Zipp's in stock.
Old 03-12-21, 09:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I don't have the Firecrest. but I do have the little brother 303S - I really, really like them.

I, too, looked at LB, but the pricing wasn't *that* advantageous, the lead time was way worse (I'm an impatient child when it comes to toys) and the warranty was no comparison.

The only niggles that I've got, and I don't know that they'll apply to the Firecrest: no drain holes for the inner chamber (I've been caught in downpours twice in the last year, and I've had to remove the tires, sealant and valve stem to drain the water that worked its way in) and one of my favorite tires, the Pro One Evo Addix, don't stay beadlocked when deflated, which can make sealant maintenance a bit of a pain (I ended up getting Milkit valve stems to work around this).

If you're a) wedded to tubeless, but b) NOT wedded to GP5K TLs, the new hookless Zipps are pretty awesome.
Old 03-12-21, 11:24 AM
Hapsmo911

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't have the Firecrest. but I do have the little brother 303S - I really, really like them.

I, too, looked at LB, but the pricing wasn't *that* advantageous, the lead time was way worse (I'm an impatient child when it comes to toys) and the warranty was no comparison.

The only niggles that I've got, and I don't know that they'll apply to the Firecrest: no drain holes for the inner chamber (I've been caught in downpours twice in the last year, and I've had to remove the tires, sealant and valve stem to drain the water that worked its way in) and one of my favorite tires, the Pro One Evo Addix, don't stay beadlocked when deflated, which can make sealant maintenance a bit of a pain (I ended up getting Milkit valve stems to work around this).

If you're a) wedded to tubeless, but b) NOT wedded to GP5K TLs, the new hookless Zipps are pretty awesome.
Interesting about the water. I dont mind the hookless and the GP5000. They are my preferred tires but I expect them to become hookless compatible as rims go wider internally, and mainstream wheel manufacturers continue the trend if hookless. Nonetheless, Ill be running panaracers in the dirt and most likely schwalbe or Vittoria's on the road until that happens ..
Old 03-12-21, 05:56 PM
Hapsmo911

Originally Posted by AUPedla
I've only used them on the road but I rate them, they are my first set of carbon wheels though. I describe it a bit like moving from alloy to carbon MTB bars, it takes out the small bump/vibration/harmonics and makes the ride nice and supple. That could also be the lower tyre pressures too. I'm running Pirelli P Zero race tyres @ 62 rear 58 front, don't read that if you're in the 100PSI brigade. To date I haven't been knocked around by the wind and I have ridden in some windy conditions. The freewheel sounds like a hive of angry bees, so if you're not into that then best find another set of wheels. I also noticed they roll downhill faster but don't keep their momentum like the heavier DT swiss alloy wheels I had fitted previously.

Awesome! I placed an order from speed vision bikes in West Virginia. $2250 with DT 240 rear and a 180 front. They look nice on your bike. Cant wait to try them with the 28's. Zipp says 70psi at my weight. Should be like my grandmas Cadillac
Likes For Hapsmo911:
Old 03-14-21, 09:38 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I feel like Zipp 303’s are the perfect height if you are going to have only one set of carbon wheels.