Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

TSDZ2 Gear Sensor Timing

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

TSDZ2 Gear Sensor Timing

Old 03-22-21, 06:10 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
TSDZ2 Gear Sensor Timing

Anybody know whether it’s possible to adjust the gear sensor’s motor cutoff duration on EcoCycle’s customized TSDZ2? (Because I’m a slow shifter. )

TIA

Last edited by andychrist; 03-22-21 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 09:31 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Extensive experimenting with TS on endless sphere. You'll start a long thread if you ask there, probably.
Old 03-22-21, 10:29 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Originally Posted by 2old
Extensive experimenting with TS on endless sphere. You'll start a long thread if you ask there, probably.
That’s why I didn’t.

Anyway, looks like gear sensor is not one of the parameters covered by the OS Firmware, guess it’s a function of the sensor itself rather than the controller.

Also see that unlike Bafang mid drives, the TSDZ2 doesn’t have a separate input for a gear sensor, has to utilize one of the brakes’. I had a Y-splitter cable included in my package so should be able to activate the cutoff from both shifters and brake levers. Just will be a bit complicated because also installing another Bafang front hub motor with half twist throttle and of course don’t want that one cutting out while braking jut to shift, but do want it to cut out while actually engaging the disk calipers. Dilemma.

Last edited by andychrist; 03-22-21 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-23-21, 09:17 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Interesting. As I understand it, the Bafang brake sensor and gear shifters have different 'timeout' duration with the shift sensor having the shorter timeout than the brakes. The TSDZ2 on the other hand treats shifts and braking the same and the timeout is quite long. I'm bemused by the statement that the o.p. seeks even more timeout from the TSDZ2 shift sensor, I'm seeking less. And, no, the timeout isn't in the sensor, it's in the firmware of the motor controller but the OS firmware hack is just that. A hack by a motivated user community. There are limits to what can be addressed in such an ad hoc fashion.
Old 03-23-21, 09:35 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I'm surprised anyone has trouble with it. The BBS02 doesn't present a problem unless maybe you "speed shift" it which I never do (and don't on MTB's either). The system on my Yamaha-equipped Haibike works extremely well too however it's configured.
Old 03-23-21, 09:43 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Well as long as the gear sensor timeout in the TSDZ2 is as long as for the brakes I should be fine with it. Purchased the customized model with triple chain rings and since SRAM Rockets are no longer available, will probably have to install thumb shifters — both set to friction if the right hand indexing is not perfectly compatible with a SunRace cassette. So shifting will likely be more sluggish than on most other setups.

Also ordered a Bafang front hub with half twist throttle for the same bike so will be able to keep that open while the TSDZ2 cuts off, therefore shouldn’t be a problem if timeout is a little long.
Old 03-23-21, 10:46 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist
Well as long as the gear sensor timeout in the TSDZ2 is as long as for the brakes I should be fine with it. Purchased the customized model with triple chain rings and since SRAM Rockets are no longer available, will probably have to install thumb shifters — both set to friction if the right hand indexing is not perfectly compatible with a SunRace cassette. So shifting will likely be more sluggish than on most other setups.

Also ordered a Bafang front hub with half twist throttle for the same bike so will be able to keep that open while the TSDZ2 cuts off, therefore shouldn’t be a problem if timeout is a little long.
I don't have a gear sensor, I just use the front brake lever as a clutch while shifting. Even with hydraulic disc brakes you should be able to get the sensor to disconnect without introducing any significant drag. I also use it to disengage the motor to coast up to traffic lights while lightly pedalling.
Old 03-23-21, 12:28 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by gsa103
I don't have a gear sensor, I just use the front brake lever as a clutch while shifting. Even with hydraulic disc brakes you should be able to get the sensor to disconnect without introducing any significant drag. I also use it to disengage the motor to coast up to traffic lights while lightly pedalling.
Well I too do that coasting to a stop thing on my dual hub drive ecumbent, the brake levers cut the motor before engaging the calipers at all. But with this front hub + mid drive setup, I obviously don’t want to cut off the hub motor when shifting either chainrings or cassette. Problem is that thumbies riding on top of the bars (as opposed to triggers) interfere with simultaneous operation of throttle and brake levers at each grip. So I’d really need to be able to cut the Tongshen from either brake lever in order to shift on the opposite side’s thumbie. Solution might just be not to connect the brakes to the hub motor at all, as it’s pretty instinctual to release the throttle when intentionally slowing down anyway.

All this might be moot if the TSDZ2 gear and torque sensing operate smoothly enough to adequately reduce the load under shifting with just a reduction of cadence.

And um, probably should have mentioned earlier, my concern’s based on tipping the scales on this cargo bike (fully loaded, myself included) over 400lbs, and I ride through mountainous terrain demanding frequent shifting between highest and lowest gear combos. Even on my otherwise identical unassisted ‘bents, have often stalled up a terrible wall on my route before completing a shift into the lowest gear combo (22-40) without any cargo at all.