Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front wheel malfunctioning after crash

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front wheel malfunctioning after crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 10:14 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Yes, bOsscO is right - that is a kid's bike, as evidenced by 24" wheels. Unless your dad is very short (like under 5' tall) then you likely did him a favour - replace with the adult version of that bike with 26" wheels.

Here is the 24" wheel version (notice 'boys' in the description):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roadmaste...ll&athena=true

and the 26" wheel version says 'mens' in the description:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roadmaste...black/55376950

You can read the 24" on the tire in your pictures.
Old 03-25-21, 10:17 AM
marwahnur27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, well I guess this is it guys, or girls, highly doubt tho. Thanks for the help, ill keep you posted if anyone dies riding it.
Old 03-25-21, 10:18 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by marwahnur27
We're of the shorter race. Don't stress bout it.
Lol I ain't stressed bud. If (when?) you decide to replace your dads bike that you busted, please consider sizing up so it fits your dad.
Old 03-25-21, 10:20 AM
ClydeClydeson

If/when you bring that bike to a shop you're gonna find the main disadvantage of box-store bikes - it Is not compatible with any available aftermarket parts, and even if it is, the cost to get it repaired will likely be above the original purchase price of the bike.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-25-21, 10:23 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Yes, bOsscO is right - that is a kid's bike, as evidenced by 24" wheels. Unless your dad is very short (like under 5' tall) then you likely did him a favour - replace with the adult version of that bike with 26" wheels.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roadmaste...ll&athena=true

and the 26" wheel version says 'mens' in the description:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roadmaste...black/55376950

And its cheaper than the kids one on ebay, thats 197
Old 03-25-21, 10:26 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Lol I ain't stressed bud. If (when?) you decide to replace your dads bike that you busted, please consider sizing up so it fits your dad.
yeah, i really wished he deserved it but again it was all my fault
Old 03-25-21, 10:29 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
If/when you bring that bike to a shop you're gonna find the main disadvantage of box-store bikes - it Is not compatible with any available aftermarket parts, and even if it is, the cost to get it repaired will likely be above the original purchase price of the bike.
Probably going to just get a new one, or see if he even notices. Its weird the guy hasnt even ridden it once since the whole thing happened. Or maybe he did, and didnt notice anything..
Old 03-25-21, 12:48 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
But you for some reason have the right to judge me? No, sorry. You seem to be the only one that has a problem w/ anything I've posted, the OP himself hasn't even complained about any of it. Are you maybe on a little bit of a power trip? Are you 'chuffed' w/ your authority (cool how I snuck in a Brit term, yeah?).
You are not aware of the complaints Im getting about you and this thread, This is one of the examples of why you were not considered being on the moderation team as you had requested. As for a power trip, if anyone looks at your posts vs mine, they will see that you have been more of a power trip with a holier than thou attitude.

And yes, I accept your apology,

And you used the term chuff wrong.

Please leave this thread since you cannot help the op.

Or.. if this forum is to under you to be of help, please feel free to leave altogether. Thank you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-25-21, 01:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
We're of the shorter race. Don't stress bout it.
I'm really impressed you stuck it out this long with the abuse you are getting. Just learn to ignore all the "common sense" stuff that some think applies globally to everyone. I even had to refrain from getting snarky in my replies to you, though some probably came through. You definitely strained my tolerance level. <grin>

I'm not sure why it annoys others that the bike is considered a kids bike and to small for them. For short rides of less than an hour or very leisurely rides for all day, who cares.

For the most part, just ignore advice you don't appreciate. Fighting back won't change any minds. Besides, it's a public forum, everyone is entitled to show their ignorance. I show mine quite often.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-25-21, 01:36 PM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm really impressed you stuck it out this long with the abuse you are getting. Just learn to ignore all the "common sense" stuff that some think applies globally to everyone. I even had to refrain from getting snarky in my replies to you, though some probably came through. You definitely strained my tolerance level. <grin>

I'm not sure why it annoys others that the bike is considered a kids bike and to small for them. For short rides of less than an hour or very leisurely rides for all day, who cares.

For the most part, just ignore advice you don't appreciate. Fighting back won't change any minds. Besides, it's a public forum, everyone is entitled to show their ignorance. I show mine quite often.
no I’ve been around the internet, I know how it goes down. I think it’s ok to mess around a little, as long as it’s just in good fun and no one gets their little “feelings hurt”. Most ppl here were actually tryna help or were giving what they thought was the best advice so that was cool. I had fun imagining some random dads on the internet writing on a bike forum. I never knew the bike life was going so strong, ppl here r serious about this stuff.
Old 03-25-21, 01:38 PM
ClydeClydeson

It is oft expressed on this forum, correctly, that the fit of the bike to its rider is of great importance. The reason this is expressed is because we are trying to help other posters enjoy their bikes, and an ill-fitting bike is less enjoyable to ride than a well-fitting bike, even for shorter rides. In fact, having an ill-fitting bike would be a primary reason why someone would only consider doing short rides, or even why, as is the OP's dad's case, the owner of the bike seldom or never rides it.

OP said their family is of short stature, so maybe just bringing the saddle up higher (on a replacement 24" wheeled bike, not the trashed original) would be a better choice than riding as-is.

People that have never had a good fitting bike will always have the opinion that bicycling is uncomfortable and inefficient, and this is always true if the bike does not fit properly.
Old 03-25-21, 03:03 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts

i somewhat enjoyed reading this thread as it went on and am mystified that anyone would care so much about what someone else rides. not just this but other threads as well.
Old 03-25-21, 03:04 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
no I’ve been around the internet, I know how it goes down. I think it’s ok to mess around a little, as long as it’s just in good fun and no one gets their little “feelings hurt”. Most ppl here were actually tryna help or were giving what they thought was the best advice so that was cool. I had fun imagining some random dads on the internet writing on a bike forum. I never knew the bike life was going so strong, ppl here r serious about this stuff.
i would say "obsessive."
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-25-21, 04:03 PM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i would say "obsessive."
it makes sense tho, ppl literally become obsessive with all types of sports and bike riding is a sport too I guess
Old 03-25-21, 04:24 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
it makes sense tho, ppl literally become obsessive with all types of sports and bike riding is a sport too I guess
Not just a sport---a clean source of energy!

Old 03-26-21, 05:11 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
... - that is a kid's bike, as evidenced by 24" wheels. Unless your dad is very short (like under 5' tall) then you likely did him a favour - replace with the adult version of that bike with 26" wheels.

Most of my bikes have 24" wheels, and my wife, who is shorter than me, was always considered the tall one of her family

If it is a common enough bike then you might be able to find another one that is still a runner to use for the bits, or just the forks from one.
Old 03-26-21, 08:22 PM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
Most of my bikes have 24" wheels, and my wife, who is shorter than me, was always considered the tall one of her family

If it is a common enough bike then you might be able to find another one that is still a runner to use for the bits, or just the forks from one.
I really never thought twice about the height of the bike until the guy brought it up, but for now Imma try not to mess around with it and damage it even more.
Old 03-26-21, 08:23 PM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trakhak
not just a sport---a clean source of energy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4o5voocqaq
dayuuumm!
Old 03-27-21, 03:33 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Okay, here's what you do: spin the bars around and ride it into a wall.

That oversize steel frame won't budge, and that cheap fork will bend back some. Might take a couple of goes, and there's no way to make sure it's not bent sideways, but most likely it was steering to one side just as a result of its inherent wonkiness being exaggerated by the geometry being so messed up in the fore/aft axis.

I'm also pretty sure it'll hold up to such treatment. Check the welds in the fork crown by all means, but that'll be some pretty soft steel, and plenty of it. The dire predictions littered through this thread apply a lot more to nicer gear that tends to break rather than bend.
Old 03-27-21, 04:30 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo

That oversize steel frame won't budge, and that cheap fork will bend back some. Might take a couple of goes, and there's no way to make sure it's not bent sideways, but most likely it was steering to one side just as a result of its inherent wonkiness being exaggerated by the geometry being so messed up in the fore/aft axis.

I'm also pretty sure it'll hold up to such treatment. Check the welds in the fork crown by all means, but that'll be some pretty soft steel, and plenty of it. The dire predictions littered through this thread apply a lot more to nicer gear that tends to break rather than bend.

this is what I was looking for, everyone had me scared thinking the bike would crack if I touched it, mind you the frame is like solid, no cracks.
Old 03-27-21, 04:32 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo

so ur telling me “nicer gear” breaks easier, I’ll stick to the cheap stuff then
Old 03-27-21, 05:44 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

This bike is junk, mate. It's made out of cheese.

Nicer gear would be a lot stronger and lighter.
Old 03-27-21, 03:44 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
I predict this thread will become a prominent part of bikeforum lore, like dialing it up to 400.
Old 03-27-21, 05:31 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
this is what I was looking for, everyone had me scared thinking the bike would crack if I touched it, mind you the frame is like solid, no cracks.
Frame may looks OK, but if the fork breaks while riding, the rider is going down.

Plus, this looks like rust bubbling under the paint. Just replace the bike. Medical bills are much more expensive than a new bike.
Old 03-27-21, 05:42 PM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by katsup
Frame may looks OK, but if the fork breaks while riding, the rider is going down.

Plus, this looks like rust bubbling under the paint.
That fork isn't in a hurry to break; it's too ductile. Bend it back and forth a few more times, and then it'll be at risk of cracking.

As for the rust, that's just a bit of surface stain, it's nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.