Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your French bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your French bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 09:16 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Is that the original colour of this bike? I have a 1971 Apache Command painted some hideous burnt orange fusion and I was thinking of painting it with this colour and then painting the forks pastel orange. Kindeve like the Porsche formula 1 colours in the 60s
Yep that's definitely the original color, I owned a grand sport deluxe before in the same color too.

Originally Posted by bikemig
Interesting bike and interesting crank. That's a cottered triple, right? Are the rings TA copies?
Yes sir that's a cottered triple. "Durax" is the manufacturer, I'm not sure if its supposed to be a TA copy but it sure does look similar.

And special thanks to francophile for help with replacement cotters and a replacement simplex plastic levers! BF C&V is the best community!
Old 03-28-21, 09:57 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
You want French? I've posted this before but it has been a while. From this morning's ride:

A PF10. The frame was sold to me as a PFN10. Since it no longer has clincher tires the N designation is no longer valid. The equipment is original type except that the original chainrings probably were not black.
Definitely a 1982 model, based on the frame's graphics. Most of their bikes back then, came in this blue color or in pearl white.
That looks like a Stronlight 104 crankset. You can mod that up to be a Stringlight 104bis model by changing out the chainrings to the drilled version that Stronglight made for the crankset. It will vastly improves the looks of the crank and will definitely add to the classic flavor of the bike.
Old 03-29-21, 06:47 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Definitely a 1982 model, based on the frame's graphics. Most of their bikes back then, came in this blue color or in pearl white.
That looks like a Stronlight 104 crankset. You can mod that up to be a Stringlight 104bis model by changing out the chainrings to the drilled version that Stronglight made for the crankset. It will vastly improves the looks of the crank and will definitely add to the classic flavor of the bike.
Thanks for the note. I think I believe I remember that this was sold to me as an '83 but if you are sure it is '82 I will change my bike list to reflect that.

You can't see it on the black chainring in that pic but that is a 104BIS ring.

I found the frame and almost all the components, including the uber-unusual SJA222 FD, all within a few hours. I had a pair of black pedals (not French though) and thought they'd go well with the black ring, just a little vanity customization. The SJA222 is unusual in that the mounting screw goes directly into the ST.

Another feature I was delighted to find. They work well.

Additional trivial details - When I got this frame (fairly cheap) the fork blades weren't matched well. It happens to be one of the bikes I did a fork resonance study on a few years ago and its resonance was decidedly wonky though the bike rode well. So I took the fork to Peter Mooney to straighten. He observed the weld seam along the back of the blades and commented "Made with passion, not precision!" But he did a nice job getting the DO's to match and the wheel to line up straight. The fork resonance after that looked much better, more consistent and in character much like my other good bikes. FWIW, it rides like a dream.

Last edited by jimmuller; 03-29-21 at 07:31 AM.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 03-29-21, 07:15 AM
classic8tubes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 6 Posts
here is my 1994 Castorama Maxi Sports in almost original team specification.

Likes For classic8tubes:
Old 03-29-21, 05:17 PM
classic8tubes

and some older ones
Bernard Carre for cycles Laurent (bikeshop in Paris)

Daniel Cattin Randonneur, fillet brazed with 100% japanese parts (original)
D.Cattin ist still building Bikes but he is not very well know out of france

D. Cattin Randonneur

Old 03-29-21, 05:23 PM
classic8tubes

Bernard Carre Randonneuse

Old 03-29-21, 05:33 PM
classic8tubes

Alain Michel, reynolds 531.
has been converted to cable routing inside the toptube by A. Singer bikeshop in Paris, thats why it's wearing Alex Singer Decals.
built up with campy nuovo record derailleurs,brakes, headset and seatpost. Simplex shifters and Pelissier 2000 HF hubs laced into Super Champion Arc-en-Ciel rims (28h)

Old 03-29-21, 06:51 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Wow, stunning group of bikes. That fillet brazed one is amazing. Very organic.
Old 03-29-21, 07:13 PM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Old 03-29-21, 09:56 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Thanks for the note. I think I believe I remember that this was sold to me as an '83 but if you are sure it is '82 I will change my bike list to reflect that.

You can't see it on the black chainring in that pic but that is a 104BIS ring.

I found the frame and almost all the components, including the uber-unusual SJA222 FD, all within a few hours. I had a pair of black pedals (not French though) and thought they'd go well with the black ring, just a little vanity customization. The SJA222 is unusual in that the mounting screw goes directly into the ST.

Another feature I was delighted to find. They work well.

Additional trivial details - When I got this frame (fairly cheap) the fork blades weren't matched well. It happens to be one of the bikes I did a fork resonance study on a few years ago and its resonance was decidedly wonky though the bike rode well. So I took the fork to Peter Mooney to straighten. He observed the weld seam along the back of the blades and commented "Made with passion, not precision!" But he did a nice job getting the DO's to match and the wheel to line up straight. The fork resonance after that looked much better, more consistent and in character much like my other good bikes. FWIW, it rides like a dream.
Now I see the drillium on the big ring!
The SJA222 French braze on mount FD is cool, because of it's clean, minimalist mounting style, but at the same time disappointing, because it's the only French brazed on mount FD that Simplex made and they skimped on the construction, being that it is mostly made from stamped and folded metal plates. They combined this FD with even their top of the line RDs, if the bike had a brazed on boss for the FD. You would think that Simplex might have made an SLJ version of the FD with more sophisticated construction, but nooooo!...
I remember seeing the SJA222s even on some Gitane team bikes that Fignon LeMond and Hinault rode in the TDF, so at least, the big pros liked them enough.

Last edited by Chombi1; 03-29-21 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 10:34 PM
Hproduguidon

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 127 Posts
Motobécane 1983 vélover

Last edited by Hproduguidon; 03-29-21 at 10:38 PM.
Likes For Hproduguidon:
Old 03-30-21, 10:32 AM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
That would make you the coolest kid in a 80's Parisian suburb!

Here's my humble project

198x (?) Mercier mixte, 51 cm

What components should I outfit it with?

I also have the original fork if you wonder, trying to find a replacement for the "map logo" forkblade decals
Old 03-30-21, 02:45 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Definitely a 1982 model, based on the frame's graphics.
Well, now I'm feeling ambiguous, or ambivalent, or ambidextrous or something. Uncertain at least. I looked at the USA catalogs in bikeboompeugeot.com (I am forever grateful for people who maintain online catalogs) and the '83 shows what appears to be this color scheme and graphics for the PFN10. The 1982 catalog has seemingly different DT lettering and pearly paint, though you did mention that they used either pearl or that silver blue. But to judge from the pics and the stated specs neither year had the bis crank. Of course the catalog might not be all that accurate.

Today's ride was on a different French bike. When I first found this frame I had a devil of a time identifying it. It matched nothing perfectly. The wrap-around seat stays and a few other details matched the '74 Champion Team. Some details like the dark blue color (Night Blue?) suggested '82 or later. The DT lettering is a near-but-not-quite-original font and the letters are not a decal but individually stenciled. That suggests a careful repaint to match a newer model. There was not a hint of orange anywhere. The chrome on the fork suggested earlier than '82. The wheels were claimed to be what was on the frame when it was sold by the original owner and then parted out. The front wheel wheel could have been from a '74 Champion Team. The rear rim was a Nisi from what could have been an '82, not produced as early as '74, but the wheel was built with plated spokes of the original gauge (2.0x1.7x2.0mm) instead of stainless. That indicates a preference for performance but on a budget. Both hubs match a '74 Champion Team. The pin striping on the fork would have been from the 70's, not the no-chrome Night Blue '82 fork. Or course I couldn't see all of this before bidding on the frame on eBay, but it was a local seller and I could avoid shipping charges. So I took a chance on it. That's when I found that the fork was out of alignment, easily fixed by a local frame builder. When I took the hub apart I found '74 date codes. Everything else, like the American flag decal and the sticker where it had been registered with the local police department, pointed to the bike having been lovingly cared for and possibly raced. Then he had a crash around '82, had the frame painted (with great attention to detail) to match the then new '82 factory color, and the crunched rear wheel rebuilt but on a budget. So the circumstantial evidence is that it is a '74 Champion Team. But we will never know or sure. I built it up with mostly French components and of course sewup tires. I rode it for my second century.

From today's ride, definitely not a century:

Last edited by jimmuller; 03-30-21 at 02:48 PM.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 03-31-21, 11:42 AM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkinOz
Not many decals in this sellers 2 photos but Reynolds 531 with fastback seatstays. Closest match I could find was from the 1989 French Brochure with either a Galbier or a Savoie model?? Can anyone help out on an id??

Went and had a look at this frame as I still wasn’t sure on the “model id”. The groupset has been heavily modified running an interesting mix of 105, Ultegra and DA parts!
The BB serial number shows Y1054437. The fastback seat stays say 1991 to me as I don’t think they had evolved as a design feature in 1981?? Thoughts on this one appreciated.
Old 04-03-21, 11:52 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 304 Posts
Sorry for cross posting this bike today but I believe with the new wheels this Méral Super Randonneur needs to meet its French relatives again.

Likes For styggno1:
Old 04-03-21, 01:45 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
Sorry for cross posting this bike today but I believe with the new wheels this Méral Super Randonneur needs to meet its French relatives again.

Wow, that is one super randonneuse! I’ve never seen a low rider rack attached to the rear, that’s genius! (If you’ve got the mid-stay braze on.)
Old 04-04-21, 12:53 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts

'84 PH10LE. Bought it brand new.
Old 04-04-21, 01:41 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by mountaindave
Wow, that is one super randonneuse! I’ve never seen a low rider rack attached to the rear, that’s genius! (If you’ve got the mid-stay braze on.)
Thank you! The racks/panniers are Blackburn and I made my own rear lowrider out of a front version for bikes without brazed brackets - using only one straight chromemoly rod (the diagonal in the picture below) as "extra" nothing else is modyfied. Has worked perfectly over the years. The mounting brackets on the frame are original. At the time I did not buy the original Méral racks - because I liked the looks of Blackburn better. Today I would of course have bought the Méral chrome racks just to have the originals for the bike. But this was in the 80ies...

Likes For styggno1:
Old 04-04-21, 07:50 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Thank you! The racks/panniers are Blackburn and I made my own rear lowrider out of a front version for bikes without brazed brackets - using only one straight chromemoly rod (the diagonal in the picture below) as "extra" nothing else is modyfied. Has worked perfectly over the years. The mounting brackets on the frame are original. At the time I did not buy the original Méral racks - because I liked the looks of Blackburn better. Today I would of course have bought the Méral chrome racks just to have the originals for the bike. But this was in the 80ies...

Brilliant triangulation!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 04-05-21, 03:47 AM
rmfrance
rmfrance

Bikes: 1968 Peugeot PX10, 1974 Peugeot PX10, 1964 Peugeot PX10, 1977 Peugeot PSN10, 1975 Gitane Super Olympic, 1978 Gitane Vuelta, c1958 Gitane Competition(?), 1983 Mercier?, 1981 Peugeot PF10, 1985 Peugeot PH501 Ventoux, 1965 Moulton M4 Speed

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
In fact, PF10s had tubulars (boyaux) and PFN10s had clinchers - the 'N' denoting 'normale'.
Nice bikes! I have an '81 PF10, with wheels for both tubulars and clinchers (as below). They ride really well, particularly on tubulars, obviously.

Likes For rmfrance:
Old 04-05-21, 03:57 AM
Hproduguidon

Old 04-05-21, 04:43 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by Hproduguidon
That seatpost is heading for a disaster! Please check the limit line on the seatpost - before an accident happens.
Old 04-05-21, 06:10 AM
Hproduguidon

That seatpost is heading for a disaster! Please check the limit line on the seatpost - before an accident happens.
hello yes thank you I know about the seat post, the picture was taken as I got it when I bought it
Old 04-05-21, 09:45 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by Hproduguidon
hello yes thank you I know about the seat post, the picture was taken as I got it when I bought it
Good to hear as that really looks dangerous for both cyclist and frame.
Old 04-05-21, 02:20 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkinOz
Went and had a look at this frame as I still wasn’t sure on the “model id”. The groupset has been heavily modified running an interesting mix of 105, Ultegra and DA parts!
The BB serial number shows Y1054437. The fastback seat stays say 1991 to me as I don’t think they had evolved as a design feature in 1981?? Thoughts on this one appreciated.
Greetings from across the ditch ! :-)
Dont recall seeing a pug with top tube cable guides like that ?
In saying that my interest in peugeots runs out in the late 1980s .
Also a lot of odd stuff made all over the world that was "different"
Saw a South African made Peugeot recently with Tange tube set .
Was there a brand on the dropouts ?
All good fun . Looks like a nice frame .
Likes For 1simplexnut:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.