Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do people throw stuff at us?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why do people throw stuff at us?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 08:58 AM
JMRobertson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's truely ironic about this post is that the idiots who toss things out of their cars at you, or simply yell or honk at you, are typically doing it for exactly the same reason that you came here to post about it.

Human beings need to feel like they belong to their group. The idiot in the car was probably acting in a manner that solidifies his standing with people he hangs with. You'll notice that their is usually two people in the cars that do this type of thing, and it's often the passenger... the one who has to do something to improve his "cred" with the other one... that behaives this way.

People come here to post to satisfy the same need. Sure, some are posting here to request information and whatnot, but most of us are here simply to interact with others in our chosen clan.
Old 10-06-08, 09:01 AM
Hickeydog
Crushing souls

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or that they have such a low view of themselves that they feel the need to hurt others in order feel good about themselves....

When will people ever grow out of Jr. High?

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.
Old 10-06-08, 09:05 AM
SamDaBikinMan
Crank Crushing Redneck

Bikes: Bikes are environmentally damaging

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JMRobertson
Human beings need to feel like they belong to their group. The idiot in the car was probably acting in a manner that solidifies his standing with people he hangs with. You'll notice that their is usually two people in the cars that do this type of thing, and it's often the passenger... the one who has to do something to improve his "cred" with the other one... that behaives this way.

People come here to post to satisfy the same need. Sure, some are posting here to request information and whatnot, but most of us are here simply to interact with others in our chosen clan.
Well dagnabbit if that is all it is then we just need to shut up and be happy that these people are able to impress their friends. I'll start carrying rocks in my jersey pockets to toss through windsheilds and impress my biking buddies.

GOSH!
Old 10-06-08, 09:06 AM
JMRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDaBikinMan
Well dagnabbit if that is all it is then we just need to shut up and be happy that these people are able to impress their friends. I'll start carrying rocks in my jersey pockets to toss through windsheilds and impress my biking buddies.

GOSH!
That would only work if your community of biking buddies would support this behaivor... most wouldn't.
Old 10-06-08, 09:22 AM
SamDaBikinMan
Crank Crushing Redneck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would only work if your community of biking buddies would support this behaivor... most wouldn't.
You are probably right.

Instead of retaliation we try and rationalize the irrational.
Old 10-06-08, 09:49 AM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nearly all of my riding is on country roads. I always smile and say hi to people walking along the road or working in their yards. I always get a big thrill on the rare occasions when I see another road biker, and always wave. On my Saturday century I didn't see any other bikers, but a guy on a riding mower did wave at me. And a couple of people honked, presumably to show their approval. Couple of kids shouted their approval.

For the past 30 years I've dealt with loggers, sawmillers and other hardcore rural types as part of my job. When I first started riding, every time I would see a farmer baling hay or a logging job, I felt like stopping and running up to them to say something like "You probably think I'm a *****t 'cause I'm on a bike, and I know I'm dressed like one, but I'm really more like one of you guys." Now I just smile and wave, and generally, they wave back.
Old 10-06-08, 09:51 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by sfcrossrider
The other two are bedwetting, and fire starting.
There are actually something like 10 to 15 of them, including ear lobe size
Old 10-06-08, 09:58 AM
Mike_Like_Bike
Je suis ici !

Bikes: 2006 Scott Speedster S20, 2005 Trek 7200FX, 1988 White Cannondale Criterium Single Speed Conversion, 1986(?) Peugeot...I don't know what model it is, but it's a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psycho d
Last night i was pegged by a full water bottle as i was riding home. What kind of mentality does it take for someone to do such a thing? i was out on an isolated country road (which had an amazing bike lane) with my lights blazing. Just as a small pickup truck went by i was was startled by a sudden thud on my bike and a spray of water about my legs. As i watched the truck speed off, it almost looked as if might turn around and finish the job. My concern heightened when i watched it pull off the side of the road a ways about a mile ahead of me, where it hung out with its lights on for a bit. i turned off my lights for the rest of the ride so that i was no longer a blinking target and made a detour in order to avoid further contact. The water bottle itself hit my cranks, and i didn't go down or anything, but the whole affair made me quite sad. i don't really do not understand, and maybe it is a good thing, why someone would want to perpetrate such a random act of violence. A water balloon i could begrudgingly understand as a mean-spirited sort of prank, but a full waterbottle could really hurt someone. And as if that were not enough, i then had my neighbor's dog startle me as it jumped out at me on the dark dirt road that i live off of. As it chased me, i gave it a stout kick, which made me feel even worse as i am an animal lover (though not so much as to allow for such inappropraiate and dangerous behavior). Sorry for the rant, just a little bummed on a society that could produce such a thing. Ashe.
d
If you're that concerned, carry something to throw back.

https://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/1859

Unlike the M16/AR15/whatever posted before, this one weighs a mere 9 ounces.

Last edited by Mike_Like_Bike; 10-06-08 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-06-08, 10:06 AM
JMRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better than a gun is a camera for your helmet. Get them on camera and report them to the local sheriff. I'm pretty sure that you could get them for littering at least, and assault with a deadly weapon at most. There is legal precident for considering a car a leathal weapon, and you certainly were assualted. Getting it on hard evidence is the hard part.
Old 10-06-08, 10:17 AM
schnee

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
There are actually something like 10 to 15 of them, including ear lobe size
Weird. That makes it sound like a congenital problem, like the facial attributes of fetal alcohol syndrome.
Old 10-06-08, 10:40 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Better than a gun is a camera for your helmet. Get them on camera and report them to the local sheriff. I'm pretty sure that you could get them for littering at least, and assault with a deadly weapon at most. There is legal precident for considering a car a leathal weapon, and you certainly were assualted. Getting it on hard evidence is the hard part.
Um, how exactly would you use that camera to photograph someone throwing something at you from behind?

It sucks to have to realize it, but we're vulnerable out there. Might as well wrap yourself in aluminum foil--it's about the same level of false sense of security as guns and helmet-mounted cameras.
Old 10-06-08, 10:57 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Um, how exactly would you use that camera to photograph someone throwing something at you from behind?

It sucks to have to realize it, but we're vulnerable out there. Might as well wrap yourself in aluminum foil--it's about the same level of false sense of security as guns and helmet-mounted cameras.
Don't underestimate aluminum foil, Doc Smartypants

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-06-08, 10:58 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by schnee
Weird. That makes it sound like a congenital problem, like the facial attributes of fetal alcohol syndrome.
It is weird, but I didn't study it. My wife took a class on it in college. I have the ear lobes and one of the character traits, btw
Old 10-06-08, 11:04 AM
SamDaBikinMan
Crank Crushing Redneck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Like_Bike

My kind of guy!

Thanks for the post!!!
Old 10-06-08, 11:09 AM
Hickeydog
Crushing souls

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike_Like_Bike

That was an M4 with a 203 attachment. Let's see the above pee shooter take out a Suburban.

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.
Old 10-06-08, 11:23 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfcrossrider
The other two are bedwetting, and fire starting.
Which are very hard to do at the same time.

Why do people throw stuff at us? We're vulnerable. Sometimes alone. We're dressed different. And we're in their way.
Old 10-06-08, 12:00 PM
Mike_Like_Bike
Je suis ici !

Bikes: 2006 Scott Speedster S20, 2005 Trek 7200FX, 1988 White Cannondale Criterium Single Speed Conversion, 1986(?) Peugeot...I don't know what model it is, but it's a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hickeydog
That was an M4 with a 203 attachment. Let's see the above pee shooter take out a Suburban.
Yeah, but seriously, are you going to carry your M4 with a 203 attachment on your bike?

Last edited by Mike_Like_Bike; 10-06-08 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 12:10 PM
Mike_Like_Bike
Je suis ici !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete

I wouldn't call having a "pee shooter" in regards to the OP's story a false sense of security...especially when he states the truck after throwing something at him then turned around and acted like it was waiting for him.
Old 10-06-08, 02:03 PM
Doctor Who
Lotion/Basket/Hose

Bikes: 1992 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Few people ever outgrow the damage that jr. high and high school does to one's psyche and sense of self-worth.

Thing is, is that the people that were **** on the most in high school generally turn out to be some of the finest examples of humanity walking the planet. Those who dishing it out, either hate themselves, their family, and the confluence of factors that brought them to that point, which, they'll never admit, included bagging on the unpopular kids in high school.

Or so that's what I like to think.
Old 10-06-08, 02:37 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Few people ever outgrow the damage that jr. high and high school does to one's psyche and sense of self-worth.
+1 So to all those who bullied anyone in grade school and are now complaining about people treating them poorly, consider it payback. Now when do I get to start picking on people?
Old 10-06-08, 02:47 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Those who dishing it out, either hate themselves, their family, and the confluence of factors that brought them to that point, which, they'll never admit, included bagging on the unpopular kids in high school....
I think it's simpler than that. Some people are such pathetic losers that the best they can hope to do is get in a steel cage and menace an unprotected and unprepared person who weighs a couple thousand pounds less.

In school, they had no steel cage, but the dynamic was the same. They knew they couldn't handle anything real, so they stuck with situations that would be impossible to fail at.
Old 10-06-08, 02:59 PM
Lizzylou
Dropped myself

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or that they have such a low view of themselves that they feel the need to hurt others in order feel good about themselves....

Oddly enough, every car that has ever chucked stuff at me is filled with teenage boys.

In fact, yesterday, on a century ride, a black car full of teenage boys decided to throw coins at all the cyclists. I didn't realize it was a coin at first, but the guy in front of me in the paceline was able to identify the shrapnel. I guess they saw us, and didn't have anything better to throw. Overall, I prefer having quarters chucked at me more than beer cans... it feels slightly less degrading.
Old 10-06-08, 03:35 PM
colnajoe

Bikes: 2008 Colnago C 50, Felt F1X cyclocross, '80's Ross signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had things whipped at me, apple cores, soda cans, banana peel, and yes, a water bottle. Legally, I can carry a gun when I ride, and I do. Just like you mentioned, the car stopped ahead of you and you had to take action to avoid them. I am never on the offensive, never whip out the finger (ok, maybe once) but on those country roads, you never know who might drive past you, and what the occupants state of mind is. I would only use it to defend my life. I will do everything to avoid any confrontation. In the past, I have accually taped a piece of paper to my stem, and put one of those golf score pencils in my bag, to write down a plate. Long story short, I have had a driver arrested, charged, and convicted of reckless driving. 500 fine and suspended license for 3 months for trying to run me off the road. Her excuse to the judge " I was just tired of all the cyclists in the roadway".
Old 10-06-08, 04:28 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bakerjw
We had a cyclist in the area who had a passenger in a pickup coming from the opposite direction throw a beer bottle at him. It hit the handlebars sending the rider into the ditch. He promptly picked himself up, rode home, got into his squad car and started driving the back roads until he spotted the truck in a driveway. The occupants were apprehended as I was told.
Liked this.

Originally Posted by colnajoe
I will do everything to avoid any confrontation. In the past, I have accually taped a piece of paper to my stem, and put one of those golf score pencils in my bag, to write down a plate. Long story short, I have had a driver arrested, charged, and convicted of reckless driving. 500 fine and suspended license for 3 months for trying to run me off the road. Her excuse to the judge " I was just tired of all the cyclists in the roadway".
Liked this too.
Old 10-06-08, 05:58 PM
simonofsocal

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I would have picked it up, ridden over to the ****, and said "I think you dropped this." while chucking it at his face. Of course, I would have my chain/cable/u-lock in my other hand to start whipping around if they start anything. Just make sure you're the first to call the cops, and tell them you feared for your life (say you saw a gun) and had to defend yourself. If they're willing to assault a complete stranger, chances are they've already got a record. So, you can get some revenge, and get off scott free. I try to be a peaceful person, but if you assault me, especially without provocation. I will take you down.

Revenge is not a bad thing. Being a bully is. If you don't teach them they're responsible for their actions(the English language really needs to get some neutral singular pronouns). Who will? Revenge doesn't have to be physical either. If you aren't capable of, or willing to take down a truck load of thugs, then take their picture instead. Get them arrested, get their license revoked, teach them a lesson they should have learned in preschool. All actions have consequences.

You came here looking for support. Well, you're not going to get any from me. You had the perfect chance to sneak up and get their license number at the very least. You ask "why do people throw stuff at us?". I'll tell you why, it's because those weak, cowardly, bullies have never met anyone with enough back bone to stand up for themselves. I hate to come across as an ******* to somebody who was just attacked, but inaction is it's own action, and has it's own consequences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.