Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Saddle for Gravel/CX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 08:26 AM
sultanofsuede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Saddle for Gravel/CX?

i'm working on a new bike and picking out the saddle for some gravel and cx riding. i know the size/width i like for road riding, but do people beef up a saddle (wider?) to hit the rougher terrain? or just go with the size the has always worked?

just curious if there is a rule of thumb there. thanks!
Old 03-10-21, 08:29 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I use what works on other bikes - no change.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 03-10-21, 09:28 AM
seinberg 

Bikes: Checkpoint SL7, Tarmac SL7, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Farley, Priority 600

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I also use what works on other bikes. Recently swapped out the Bontrager saddle on my Checkpoint for a Spesh Power saddle, in fact, because my butt agrees more with the Power saddle.
Old 03-10-21, 10:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Same saddle as my main road bike. And my other drop bar bikes have saddles that are basically the same shape, width, and length as my main road and gravel saddles.
Brooks C17 are on my gravel bike and main road bike.

A gravel bike is just a road bike for unpaved roads.

With that said, some gravel bikes can have seriously different geometry than a road bike and if you are significantly more upright then maybe a different saddle for your gravel bike would work well.
Is your setup on your road and gravel bikes basically the same?
Old 03-10-21, 11:58 AM
sultanofsuede

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yes - I do think they're going to be pretty similar. I was thinking more for dampening purposes - wondered if anyone went with something slightly larger. Sounds like I'll be good to stick with the sizing that I know I like. Perfecto!

I suppose if I don't like it after a few rides, you'll see an almost new saddle for sale on FB marketplace Midwest bike exchange. :-)

Last edited by sultanofsuede; 03-10-21 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-10-21, 12:13 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by sultanofsuede
Yes - I do think they're going to be pretty similar. I was thinking more for dampening purposes - wondered if anyone went with something slightly larger. Sounds like I'll be good to stick with the sizing that I know I like. Perfecto!

I suppose if I don't like it after a few rides, you'll see an almost new saddle for sale on FB marketplace Midwest bike exchange. :-)
I play the ebay saddle game (buying and selling saddles). Probably on my 5th used saddle now to find what fits. I am on a Specialized Power right now and my butt seems to like it.
Old 03-10-21, 01:17 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
With that said, some gravel bikes can have seriously different geometry than a road bike and if you are significantly more upright then maybe a different saddle for your gravel bike would work well.
my road bike(torture machine) and gravel bike have extremely different geo and thus I use different saddles

Old 03-10-21, 02:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a well used Selle Italia Flite on my CX/gravel bike. It's a classic.
Old 03-10-21, 04:44 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Brooks B17 or C17 for me.
Old 03-11-21, 03:13 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Nope, I run the same carbon saddle that I use on my road bike. My compliance is in the seatpost (Giant d-fuse) and tires, so I just want my saddle to fit. So I would stick with whatever saddle you already know works for you.
Old 03-11-21, 04:11 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I use the same or similar saddle on every bike. Road, MTB, CX, Gravel
Dampening comes from other areas, like tires, seatposts, frame material, etc. I definitely do not want a squishy saddle.
Old 03-11-21, 08:11 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I'm very particular about the saddle on my road bike. The leaned-forward position means perineal pressure is a real problem if the saddle isn't shaped just right. So I tend to find something that works and stick with it for years at a time. For cyclocross and gravel, though, I'm a fair bit more upright and my hips aren't tilted forward so much, and I can tolerate a wide range of saddle shapes. Currently, I have a Ritchey WCS Streem, which seems pretty great so far. Previously I've had a Fizik of some kind (Antares, I think?) and an old Specialized Phenom on two different bikes and gone back and forth between them with no problems. Basically, so long as the saddle is fairly narrow, not overly padded or totally unpadded, and doesn't have too dramatic an arch across the top, it will work. It's also a good idea to not have weird peaks or doo-dads at the back that can snag on shorts when re-mounting or just moving around on the bike. I haven't gone out of my way to pick out a more durable saddle for gravel/cx, but the saddles I ride on the road aren't super-delicate either. I've avoided carbon rails but I'm not even convinced that's necessary. I just don't want to be disappointed for the cost of a carbon-railed saddle.
Old 03-12-21, 07:11 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I'll suggest getting your sit bones measured at a local bike shop if you haven't already. Changing to a slightly wider seat made a big difference in comfort.

I use Specialized Phenom Expert seats on my off-road bikes, and a Specialized Romin Evo on my road bike.