Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Hey Norcal, let's get to know each other.

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Hey Norcal, let's get to know each other.

Old 04-18-07, 05:58 PM
jinws
one good leg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<---- Jin 28, with the liver and beer gut of a 48 year old.

I live in san jose during the week(work) and SF on weekends. SF bike = Giant 2000 TCR anodized. Full Ultegra, Ksyrium SL...blah blah blah... SJ bike 2002 S-Works frame powder coated, converted to a single speed. SJ is flatter than a 18 year old chinese girl. ( I know, that was bad )

Recently picked up cycling due to my injuries. Shattered my left foot rock climbing which resulted in 6 screws and a plate in my foot. Started cycling for rehab and it was going great. 2 months after I started climbing again, dis-located my left knee. So now cycling is my re-hab for foot and knee. That's all.

nice to e-meet you all. maybe I'll catch some of you on the road sometimes.
Old 04-20-07, 06:52 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jinws
SJ is flatter than a 18 year old chinese girl. ( I know, that was bad )
On that note, I'm Robert. When I am not in China I live in Yreka California. I got back into biking in my Early thirties then got hurt (Broke my tail bone) which ended my riding for several years. Now that I am in China I have discovered I can ride again without too much pain (it hurts, but is bearable). I expect that when I return I will start riding again.
Old 04-20-07, 08:24 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Hey - I thought I told you to keep that to yourself.......

Well, now that I've been "outed" - John here, resident of San Ramon since 1987. Re-entered "serious" cycling about 2-1/2 years ago to work off the residue of my dot-com era expense account.

I'm 51 years old, with a beautiful wife and 11 year old daughter that both ride. The little one just completed her first metric century, The Cinderella, this month.

I have a 4 mile round trip commute, and try to get in 12-18 miles during lunch when the schedule and weather permits. I like riding centuries, and have racked up about 18 or so in the last 2 years.

I seem to have a knack for accumulating bikes. My main ride is a 2005 Giant OCR Limited, but I just finished building a vintage Italian frame with 10 speed Campy and have a NOS 2002 Pinarello frameset on the stand waiting to be built up. In addition, I have a nice 1985 Eddy Merckx Professional and a "like new" 1974 Swiss Mondia Super that I fully restored about a year or so ago. I've got a bunch more laying about, but they are more or less transient and eventually get moved along to feed my addiction.

San Ramon and the surrounding environs is my 'hood, so if you're out and about here and you're looking for a riding partner that will make you look like Lance, I'm your man. Feel free to PM anytime and we'll get something together - maybe even invite Bikingshearer and make him spring for lunch.....
Well, the next time I'm in San Jose I'm visiting with all of you. I know that someone will have a bike small enough for me to ride, too!

I know, I need to get those photos of the International up.

East Hill
Old 04-20-07, 09:38 PM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh... hi? Yeah, my name is Ken -like it says down there- and I live on the NorCal coast.. well, like it says over there to the left... what's left? Oh yeah.. let's see, I'm 54 and started riding again one year ago. Before that, the last time I did any riding -other than down a volcano- was 20 years ago. I've done all my damage over the past year on a Gary Fisher Kaitai and I'm about to take possession of a LeMond Reno in a week... or less (depends how long I can hold out to pick it up)... In term of conditioning, I've come an awful long way in 12 months and I have a long way to go. I tend to ride alone but some of you are close enough that we might think about putting together some kind of group ride or something. You know, if you don't mind an old guy tagging along Is cycling great, or what?
Old 04-21-07, 02:20 AM
ratebeer
Not obese just overweight

Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- JoeT
- Fulton, CA (Santa Rosa)
- Red Cervelo Soloist
- I'm just about to complete my first year back in the saddle and will start my sophomore year in May. I promised my wife, no racing (and associated crashing) but hope to find a home with time trials.

Veho difficilis, ago facilis
Old 04-27-07, 01:44 AM
dmitrivich
dismembered member

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grant
26 years old
Live in Davis, as you can see in my sig.
2007 Trek 1500, all Fredded out.

This is my second season. I bought my bike last May and have only about 1800 miles on the odometer, 600 of them this season (didn't ride at all for over 4 months over the cool season). I'm an ex-runner whose knees couldn't take it anymore. Cycling is more fun overall but not quite as much of a headrush.

I love Davis and all the beautiful, open terrain and roads, but I'll be moving to the East Bay in a few months. I'm looking forward to spending some more time on the hills.
Old 04-29-07, 08:59 AM
briank
New Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Marin Lucas Valley Compact, 2010 Specialized TriCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello North CA!!!
My name is Brian, age 37, I live in Fremont CA. I am a commuter as of late. Health reasons, gas reasons, excersice reasons. IT's been a blast so far!! I purchased a Marin Lucas Valley compact and I am pretty happy with it. Looking forward to meeting you guys at a future get together! Cheers.
Old 05-01-07, 05:08 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all, name is Justin, I'm 24, and I live in the Natomas area of Sacramento (up north, near the airport). I got back into cycling last year (I was into mountain biking as a teenager) after realizing that my corporate per diem made me fat. 40 pounds later, I am still into it, and I am "working on my form" trying to get into good enough shape to ride a century next year.
Old 05-02-07, 02:50 PM
roadie gal
Out the door

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all. I'm Syndi, 48, and I'm way out here on the fringe of things in Truckee (by Lake Tahoe). I started out mountain biking when I moved here from L.A. 11 years ago, then changed to road biking. Now my primary focus is triathlon. I have a Sampson Silverton roadie, a Sampson Diablo tri bike and a Jamis Dakar FS mountain bike.

Anyone who wants some good HILL rides up here, just ask me.
Old 05-02-07, 04:13 PM
K&M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are Keith & Mireya from Carmel. When we're not on our tandem (Burley Rivazza half converted to Campy) Keith rides an old Litespeed Liege and Mireya rides an even older Look. Most of the time we ride by ourselves, but we do show up for races and double centuries from time to time. We've tandemed the Solvang, Davis, Bass Lake, and Mt. Tam doubles and one or the other or both of us have done the Terrible Two, Hemet, Solvang, Death Valley, Eastern Sierra, Knoxville and Mt. Tam doubles on singles. Of these, we recommend the Terrible Two (hard, yes, but what a fantastic route!); Bass Lake (Mireya picks this one due to lots of climbing, but no scary, technical descents); Solvang (easy & fun with a good route and a great atmosphere - the perfect introduction to double centuries); Mt. Tam (challenging & beautiful); Eastern Sierra (beautiful and not so challenging); and Knoxville (covers a lot of the same territory as Davis, but a far superior route).

We often ride north into the Santa Cruz Mountains and probably see many of you on the roads up there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
K&MMBtandem.JPG (91.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-02-07, 04:29 PM
tprevost
okay, maybe...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by K&M
We are Keith & Mireya from Carmel. When we're not on our tandem (Burley Rivazza half converted to Campy) Keith rides an old Litespeed Liege and Mireya rides an even older Look. Most of the time we ride by ourselves, but we do show up for races and double centuries from time to time. We've tandemed the Solvang, Davis, Bass Lake, and Mt. Tam doubles and one or the other or both of us have done the Terrible Two, Hemet, Solvang, Death Valley, Eastern Sierra, Knoxville and Mt. Tam doubles on singles. Of these, we recommend the Terrible Two (hard, yes, but what a fantastic route!); Bass Lake (Mireya picks this one due to lots of climbing, but no scary, technical descents); Solvang (easy & fun with a good route and a great atmosphere - the perfect introduction to double centuries); Mt. Tam (challenging & beautiful); Eastern Sierra (beautiful and not so challenging); and Knoxville (covers a lot of the same territory as Davis, but a far superior route).

We often ride north into the Santa Cruz Mountains and probably see many of you on the roads up there.
Welcome! I just picked up a 2004 Burley Rivazza... haven't ridden it yet but am really looking forward to it! Maybe you two would like to join us on Memorial Weekend... there's another thread about it in the NorCal section; we'd love to have you!!!
Old 05-02-07, 08:55 PM
bikeray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, all -- I am 57, semi-retired, and live in the Richmond District of San Francisco. On weekends, I ride into Marin (because I can ride the west sidewalk of the Golden Gate Bridge and not hassle the legions of tourist/pedestrians that choke the east sidewalk). On weekdays, I ride south, usually along Skyline to Crystal Springs and Sawyer Camp Trail, then Canada Road to Palo Alto, returning to SF via CalTrain. I average about 80 - 100 miles of road riding per week, unless my wife has other plans for me!

I split my ride time between my single-speed and my multi-gear. I rode the ss in the Death Valley Century on March 3. I am riding the multi in the Wine Country Century this coming Saturday in Santa Rosa. I have also ridden/camped the Oregon Coast, and segments of Cal coast.

My favorite moderate weekend ride is a loop from my home over GG Bridge, thru Sausalito, Fairfax, up to top of Mt. Tam via Bolinas Road, and back home via Panoramic Highway, Mill valley, GG Bridge and home.

I have a fantasy that I will celebrate turning 60 (God willing!) by riding the Trans-Am. We'll see.

Nice meeting you all.
Old 05-14-07, 07:54 PM
MetalClydesdale
el sombrador loco

Bikes: 1999 Trek 1000, 2006 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, names Ben, 25 from Ukiah. I've been riding for seven-years, mostly in Oregon but more recently in California. I moved here two-years ago and lived in Santa Rosa, Oakland and Vallejo before settling in Ukiah to take a job as a newspaper reporter.

I started out out riding an aluminum frame Trek 1000 that I bought off a guy I met in college for $100. He had more money than good sense. I've since graduated to 2006 Specialized Roubiax for which I payed full price.

I got into cycling because, at 18, my doctor told me that if I didn't quit smoking and lose weight I would be dead by 30, which makes for quite the incentive, I'm down around 200 lbs now. I like long rides and will normally go out for 5+ hours at a stretch when I have the time, which isn't often these days. I recently completed 100 mile course of Tour of the Unknown Coast in Humboldt County and I'm trying to ride one century every month this year for as long as there are rides within reach.

When I'm not riding I'll usually be taking pictures or drinking beer and reading news papers as I am a notorious info-junkie. I am the only kilted cyclist I know.
Old 05-16-07, 05:14 PM
1jacktripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, my name is Jack, and I'm 37. I live in the mid-Peninsula area (Palo Alto), and I own a road bike (Seven Axiom) and a folding bike (when i used to commute via CalTrain up to SF). I enjoy long distance rides and climbs, as well as triathlons. I am riding in the Sequoia Century, Giro di Peninsula, and Tour of Napa Valley Century this season, plus a Ironman-distance triathlon in Sonoma this August.
Old 05-16-07, 07:42 PM
dauphin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nice to meet you Jack
Old 05-16-07, 09:44 PM
ptowntsi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
names Justin, from Sac. 22 and go to Cal State Sacramento where i'm majoring in Finance and Economics. Lookin for some folks to go ridin with up in the foothills or sierra's.
Old 05-16-07, 09:45 PM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptowntsi
names Justin, from Sac. 22 and go to Cal State Sacramento where i'm majoring in Finance and Economics. Lookin for some folks to go ridin with up in the foothills or sierra's.

Thats Dauphin's area.
Old 05-16-07, 10:22 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1jacktripper
plus a Ironman-distance triathlon in Sonoma this August.

Hat's off to you!
Old 05-17-07, 11:14 AM
Happytime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*** Knock! Knock! Pokes head in, looks around ***

Hiya NorCal'ers,

Greetings from SoCal.

Have a nice day!

*** Shuts door, runs away ***
Old 05-17-07, 11:15 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
:::too serious to reply:::

oh, wait!

Old 05-17-07, 11:16 AM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Happytime

Hiya NorCal'ers,

Greetings from SoCal.

Have a nice day!

Aww, man, are we that boring? Don't run away!

My Cycling Blog
Old 05-17-07, 12:24 PM
sweetnsourbkr

Bikes: Look 585, Co-Motion Periscope 700

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, my name's David and I'm a roadaholic. I'm a returning BF'r from a couple years ago (seems my original account is gone). I'm 28. I live with my wife Lisa in San Leandro. I was a regular with the Saturday riders of Team Alameda (acquaintance), but lately I've been commuting and slacking off.

Happy Bike to work day, btw!

My plans this year are to do some long distance touring with my buddy. I'm still waiting until orders for the Team Ryanf jersey begin.
Old 05-17-07, 12:42 PM
7rider

Bikes: 1999 Seven Sola, 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2005 Trek Madone 5.2 SL, 2006 Merlin Works CR 3/2.5, 2009 Kona Ute, Spot Acme, 2017 Raleigh Roker Comp, 2016 Specialized Camber Expert 29

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jinws
SJ is flatter than a 18 year old chinese girl. ( I know, that was bad )
Too bad I don't have any 18 year old pictures of Gong Li on my hard drive
Old 05-17-07, 05:25 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by Happytime

Hiya NorCal'ers,

Greetings from SoCal.

Have a nice day!

You forgot details...who, what, when, where and why.
Old 05-22-07, 08:41 PM
AzureDrpTp

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I should introduce myself and stop lurking around...

My name's Thien, I live in Santa Clara and work in Los Gatos. I'm the guy on a trek you pass going up Mt. Eden, Redwood Gulch, OLH... you get the idea. Got into cycling in late '05 and have been hooked since. I hope to see some of you out there on the roads sometime.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.