Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Tips for riding a Century

Old 04-26-17, 02:11 PM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL so true! when I went 50 miles straight for the 1st time, on my MTN bike, my bum got sore. Only then did I find out there were biking underwear (after venting to other bikers)!!!
Originally Posted by BlackPaw
my butt wants to get off the saddle. I get all kinds of pain on my gluteus, perineum, testicles...

Any tips or suggestions?
Old 08-14-17, 05:50 PM
FlamsteadHill

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chidonchea
Here is a video I made of a feed bag I use on centuries and double century rides. The bag can hold more than enough food to get me to the next rest stop. By eating all the while I ride, I can avoid the "Bonk". (url goes here)
OK, I finally had to watch this because of so many comments.

I have to concur, not only is the concept great AND simple, but the video production should have producers calling you by the dozen.

Salut!

edit: I can't "post URLS" apparently even though it was a quote, until I have 10 posts...
Old 08-14-17, 06:20 PM
FlamsteadHill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding again (after 30 years out of it) at the beginning of July.

Rode a 46 mile charity event this past weekend and decided it's not too much to go for the full century before Old Man Winter takes hold.

The longest previous ride I had done was 35 miles, but the 46 miles seemed easier and I felt better afterwards. The primary reason I attribute that to is grade. My 35 mile run, while less average climbing feet/mile, had several much steeper sections (12-15% versus 6-8%). While I do enjoy conquering hills, I will pick a less challenging route to hit the Century first time out.

I am thinking of trying a metric century this weekend. I have a route picked out* that has roughly the same total climbing feet at the 46 mile route (just under 3000) and a max grade of 8.1%.

I will bring (2) 1 Liter water bottles and some food, and plan to stop at at least (2) country/general stores for more water/supplies as needed. My RideWithGPS app tells me it should take about 4:45, so I will be happy to finish in 5:30 with 3 or maybe 4 stops.

*Where I live is at the top of a hill. No matter which direction you come at it from (there are about 5 altogether) there is no easy way home with grades up to 16%. So I will truck my bike down to the valley for my start. I don't mind hills (actually like them), but NOT at the very end of a run. My name is not Alberto and I weigh 210#.
Old 08-19-17, 09:14 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
if you can ride 100km without falling apart, you can easily do 160km. Work up to that distance first. And on any distance ride, don't think about the whole thing at once, just to the next food stop or some intermediate goal like that. Randonneurs commonly ride 600km in less than 40 hours. I don't think anyone thinks about that whole distance at once. I am usually pretty happy when I hit the 200km mark, generally trying not to think about the fact that I have to ride another 200km before I sleep and 400km before I'm done. I'd rather let that happy fact sneak up on me over time.
When I rode brevets (my longest ever was a 300km) I used to set my GPS to tell me the distance until the next control. Sometimes it was depressing to realise I was flagging and still had 30km to go but it meant I was never presented with "you've cycled 173km so far" with the associated "so don't be surprised if everything hurts".
Old 08-22-17, 11:21 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
if you can ride 100km without falling apart, you can easily do 160km. Work up to that distance first...
This is good to read. I have a charity ride coming up in mid-September and I'm psyching myself out because it is 4 (imperial) Centuries over 4 days (fully supported and with a group of mixed experience riders). I can "easily" do a metric Century (not fast, in about 3.5hrs of cycling time) but it has been a while since I've done a full Century (2 years ago but after 5 previous days of approximately 650km total distance so my legs were in good condition by the time the Century day came around).

I need this type of encouragement to keep my head in the game.
Old 08-23-17, 08:30 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
I can "easily" do a metric Century (not fast, in about 3.5hrs of cycling time)
That's about 28.5 kp/h, which if the course is not totally flat, is pretty fast by my standards. On most of my long rides (100 mi and more) I don't even average the brevet minimum of 15 km/h, admittedly usually in hilly terrain. If a distance feels too hard, you can always drop the pace a notch or two
Old 08-23-17, 08:46 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Never done one or care to, but am a ham and do SAG on supported fund raiser rides. Mostly on Maryland's Eastern shore, hot, flat, humid. The killer is hydration, if you ain't peeing at every rest stop, you ain't getting the hydration. Personally watched healthy, strong, fit people just fall over. That and sunburn. Good luck, go at your own pace.

New thing I do this year, bought a big squirt bottle from Dollartree and keep it filled with ice water for instant mist.
Old 08-23-17, 09:27 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joewein
That's about 28.5 kp/h, which if the course is not totally flat, is pretty fast by my standards. On most of my long rides (100 mi and more) I don't even average the brevet minimum of 15 km/h, admittedly usually in hilly terrain. If a distance feels too hard, you can always drop the pace a notch or two
OK, I must have made a mistake with the time, perhaps 3:45 as my average pace is closer to 26.0-27.5kmh.

The ride I'm talking about is fully supported so all we're carrying is a bit of snack food, water, tube, pump/CO2, tools, cell phone and some will carry a rain jacket if the weather is iffy but I'll just either flag the SAG for my jacket if it gets rainy or endure the rain as it shouldn't be cold.
Old 08-23-17, 10:50 AM
FlamsteadHill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
I am thinking of trying a metric century this weekend. I have a route picked out that has roughly the same total climbing feet at the 46 mile route (just under 3000) and a max grade of 8.1%.

I will bring (2) 1 Liter water bottles and some food, and plan to stop at at least (2) country/general stores for more water/supplies as needed. My RideWithGPS app tells me it should take about 4:45, so I will be happy to finish in 5:30 with 3 or maybe 4 stops.
So it ended up being 63.6 miles (102.4 km) and I did it in 4:54 with 0:22 stops (2 roughly 10 minute rests plus a couple traffic related). 13.7 mph overall, 14.0 mph average moving.

Looking towards my full Century now.
Old 08-24-17, 08:59 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
So it ended up being 63.6 miles (102.4 km) and I did it in 4:54 with 0:22 stops (2 roughly 10 minute rests plus a couple traffic related). 13.7 mph overall, 14.0 mph average moving.

Looking towards my full Century now.
Nice!!! Good work
Old 05-01-20, 12:41 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Tips for riding a century.
Gotta admit, I had to find a post just add this:
If your ride is on a Saturday, drink much coffee Friday morning. Why? Trips to bathroom throughout the day to flush away some of your, ahem, "ruffage". So that when Saturday comes about, there's one less thing to worry about.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 12-25-20, 08:57 PM
Ctmcycling

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The new route

Originally Posted by Doohickie
Good thread.

I just heard of plans to start a new 100 mile ride right here in Fort Worth next June (the idea is to make it a prep ride for the Hotter Than Hell 100 in Wichita Falls; I think the HTH organizers are involved). That gives me 12 months to prepare. This thread has great advice regarding what to do the day of a century, but is there any advice in terms of preparation in the time leading up to the ride?

Is there any way to know how to use that time to prepare for the century distance? I currently ride 75-100 miles a week, have no problems riding 40 miles at a stretch, my longest ride in a day is 71 miles. I think I can do 100 no problem, but what should I do in the next year to make sure? Should I just keep riding for now, and ramp up the miles as I get closer to the ride? Or do you think I could probably just wing it and show up that morning, considering how much I currently ride?
What is the route called in Fort Worth? I would love to know so that I can practice.
Old 12-25-20, 08:58 PM
Ctmcycling

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The new route

Originally Posted by Doohickie
Good thread.

I just heard of plans to start a new 100 mile ride right here in Fort Worth next June (the idea is to make it a prep ride for the Hotter Than Hell 100 in Wichita Falls; I think the HTH organizers are involved). That gives me 12 months to prepare. This thread has great advice regarding what to do the day of a century, but is there any advice in terms of preparation in the time leading up to the ride?

Is there any way to know how to use that time to prepare for the century distance? I currently ride 75-100 miles a week, have no problems riding 40 miles at a stretch, my longest ride in a day is 71 miles. I think I can do 100 no problem, but what should I do in the next year to make sure? Should I just keep riding for now, and ramp up the miles as I get closer to the ride? Or do you think I could probably just wing it and show up that morning, considering how much I currently ride?
What is the route called in Fort Worth? I would love to know so that I can practice.
Old 08-22-21, 09:46 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Ctmcycling
I haven't heard anything since. Maybe Covid put it on hold.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-28-21, 05:20 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
When I rode brevets (my longest ever was a 300km) I used to set my GPS to tell me the distance until the next control. Sometimes it was depressing to realise I was flagging and still had 30km to go but it meant I was never presented with "you've cycled 173km so far" with the associated "so don't be surprised if everything hurts".
For me it was about getting to the half-way point after which I was 'headed' home psychologically.
Old 08-29-21, 09:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,666 Times in 2,497 Posts
I don't think telling myself I'm halfway there would work, although telling myself it's only 50 miles might work. If things are really going badly, I just pick a point along the course where it's the same distance as my commute, 7 miles. Or just 20 miles to the next stop. Or just 100km to the end, I've done that many times. On a 1200km ride, I have thought, "well, it's just 200km to the end, short ride."
Old 11-19-23, 10:46 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by EdgewaterDude
I came to this scary conclusion after I got home and noticed that what appeared to be salt crystals was dried all over my face. Kind of weird. Well, sometimes you need to learn the hard way...I'm going to stay as hydrated as possible now.
Depending on the temperature, you might sweat quite a bit, as you apparently did. The next time you may wish to consider a drink with electrolytes to replace potassium. It doesn’t have to be a fancy or expensive brand, as long as it has the approximately correct amounts. You could even go the opposite route of sports drink by using a generic version of Pedialyte - inexpensive and effective.
Old 11-24-23, 11:07 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
When riding TOSRV, 100+ miles Saturday, 100+ miles back Sunday.
I know that I need to keep my Heart Rate BPM, lot lower on Saturday than I do in a 50 mile group ride.
A high Heart Rate on Saturday makes the Sunday ride challenging.
Old 11-24-23, 03:53 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
A century may seem like a lot but if you can bike at 15 mph for 6.7 hours then you will travel 100 miles. Best advice is to warm up for 20-30 minutes and drink water to stay hydrated and eat snacks that provide energy (raisins work very well).

On hills as it is not a race take a pace that is comfortable and when choosing between two gears use the lower one. Easy to psych oneself if thinking that you have arrived at the top of a grade and then round a turn and find it continues further. Using a lower gear to conserve yourself makes this less daunting and bicycling is as much mental as it is physical.

For clothing I like the bicycling jackets that have a wind shield on the front and lots of side and back vents and that have removable sleeves. I wear it over a synthetic material bike jersey and depending on the weather it may be a short or a long sleeve jersey.

It is more about duration than speed or distance as such.