Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Gash Repair

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire Gash Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 03:25 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Tire Gash Repair

I have a relatively new Conti GP 4000 ii clincher with a very clean 1/4 inch gash in the side wall. Can I fix this with just piece of duct tape on the inside of the tire or do I need to do something more permanent to keep the split from growing?

Thx.

dave
Old 09-11-18, 03:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
While it's doubtful that the slit would grow much longer what can happen is that any boot/patch you use will it's self fail. Generally booting a slash is considered a get back to the house/car/finish and then replace the tire. But hay, it's your tire so do what you wish and report back. Just be smart and use the damaged tire on your rear wheel. Andy
Old 09-11-18, 04:06 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
replace the tire
Old 09-11-18, 04:32 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
A big needle (like one for denim.) some dental floss, and rubber cement.

If it doesn't hold, you're out a couple bucks.
Old 09-11-18, 04:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I assume this is a full thickness cut. What tire size and pressure?

MTB riders apparently frequently sew their tires closed with a sewing awl, but perhaps primarily to get themselves out of the woods, and at low pressures.

Hmm... that is an idea. What if you put your sewing machine on wide zig-zag and just sewed it up, possibly with some non-stretch reinforcing material on the inside.
Old 09-11-18, 04:44 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

I think that I will just follow the advice of my LBS. BTW, I don't see how the sewing solution would work long term. Dental floss (with or without rubber cement) seems to me to be no match for asphalt.

dave
Old 09-11-18, 05:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
You said it was sidewall damage, so it shouldn't be grinding on the pavement.

If you do sew, you can put a patch over the top if you wish, also on the underside.

I think the issues with sewing are multi-fold. First there is a risk of it pulling through where the threads were cut.

Also, tires are a very dynamic process of repeated pressure, compression, bending, and torque.

Nonetheless, it might be interesting to try. I did run one Continental tire with a Radial Tire patch on the inside, and an ordinary REMA patch on the outside. I put on quite a few miles like that before the tread wore too thin, and I lost a chunk of very thin tread rubber elsewhere on the tire.
Old 09-11-18, 05:09 PM
DaveLeeNC

For clarification it is sidewall but (depending on pressures and wear) real close to pavement. I am running 23's right now (typically 90 pounds). I wouldn't be comfortable counting on it never encountering pavement.

dave
Old 09-11-18, 06:55 PM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
For clarification it is sidewall but (depending on pressures and wear) real close to pavement. I am running 23's right now (typically 90 pounds). I wouldn't be comfortable counting on it never encountering pavement.

dave
You probably got the cut because you are running a 23 mm wide tire at too low a pressure. Depending on your weight it should be: 100 psi for a 130 lb weight; 115 psi for a 185 lb weight; and 130 psi for a 240 lb weight. If you want to run 90 psi, you should use 25mm for 130 lb weight; 28 mm for 185 lb weight; and 32 mm for a 240 lb weight.
Old 09-11-18, 08:28 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by SBinNYC
You probably got the cut because you are running a 23 mm wide tire at too low a pressure. Depending on your weight it should be: 100 psi for a 130 lb weight; 115 psi for a 185 lb weight; and 130 psi for a 240 lb weight. If you want to run 90 psi, you should use 25mm for 130 lb weight; 28 mm for 185 lb weight; and 32 mm for a 240 lb weight.
I am not familiar with the concept of 'risk of sidewall gashes' and marginally lower tire pressures. I certainly am familiar with snake bite punctures but this is clearly different. Could you elaborate here.

FWIW, this website ( Bicycle tire pressure calculator ) would put me at 83 pounds front and 103 rear at 23mm. I do pump up before every ride and stop when my (checked against a regular tire gauge) pump passes 90 on the front and the rear might get another push. My pressure don't seem unreasonable at my 150'ish pounds and nothing worse than occasional chipseal. I don't encounter many potholes. I'd be interested in other opinions here.

Until recently I was running 25mm Gatorskin tires. Suddenly (manufacturing tolerances I assume) I was struggling to keep 25mm Gatorskins from rubbing my front fork where before I didn't have that problem. Never did really understand what happened here. This is my first go at the Conti 4000's (which are more comfortable than the Gatorskins).

FWIW, the 'gash' is so clean it is hard to spot and ends about 1/8" from where the tire wear starts on the tire (5-700 miles roughly on the tire).

Thx.

dave
Old 09-11-18, 09:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Dave- Sounds like you have a bike that was made when the mantra was "Skinner is better". These days the industry has finally understood that having more traction, greater load capacity, longer tread life and a smoother ride are marketable features Andy
Old 09-12-18, 06:23 AM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Dave- Sounds like you have a bike that was made when the mantra was "Skinner is better". These days the industry has finally understood that having more traction, greater load capacity, longer tread life and a smoother ride are marketable features Andy
Well, OK. But your tires can weigh as much as 20 grams more EACH

1996 Bianchi EL/OS frame. Actually a pretty nice frame, but ....

dave
Old 09-12-18, 07:50 AM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I am not familiar with the concept of 'risk of sidewall gashes' and marginally lower tire pressures. I certainly am familiar with snake bite punctures but this is clearly different.
It's basically the same mechanism for pinched flats. The tire sidewall rubs against either the ground or the wheel flange. There's no guarantee that the tube will find a void between tire and wheel before the sidewall will find a spot where it should not be. To a large extent it depends on the flexibility of the tube and sidewall at a given pressure and weight load.
FWIW, this website ( Bicycle tire pressure calculator ) would put me at 83 pounds front and 103 rear at 23mm...My pressure don't seem unreasonable at my 150'ish pounds
Tire pressure and wheel load determine the road/tire contact area. If the wheel load is 75 lbs (1/2 of your 150 lbs) and tire pressure is 75 psi then the contact area is 2 sq in; if the tire pressure is 100 psi then the contact area is 0.75 sq in. How that contact area is distributed across the length and width of the tire depends on tire construction and rim width. A under-inflated narrow tire, with flexible sidewalls mounted wide rim should favor more width in contact with the ground than one with less flexible sidewalls mounted on a narrow rim. The second tire will favor more contact area along the tire's circumference.

The different front/rear pressures means you used the Heine calculation. Tire manufacturers usually have some idea about how their tires should be used. The trend away from narrow tires means one must go to archival info on the web for 23 mm inflation recommendations.

Here's what Schwalbe recommended: https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/insp...rt-630x207.jpg, This is what I used for my recommendations. Here's what Michelin recommended: https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3734/92...0110889a_z.jpg.

As you can see, these tire manufacturers recommend higher pressures for your combination of tire width and weight.
Old 09-12-18, 11:26 AM
DaveLeeNC

I just got back from my LBS and here is the verdict. As the mechanic said "what you have here is a really good trainer tire". The point being that when it failed it could easily fail in a way that would not be easily fixable on the road.

So I now have a brand new GP4000 II.

dave
Old 09-12-18, 11:30 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While I'm the cheapest bastard known to man ...

Whilst @DrIsotope may churn out more watts, miles and elavation than I do I'll top him and anyone in this group when it comes to cheapness. It runs through my veins.

But even I wouldn't repair a gash in a tire that big. If it fails and your in a middle of a ride, what happes?

Well maybe I would fix it if its a errand bike that is going to be no more than a few miles from my home (see I can't help myself).

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
A big needle (like one for denim.) some dental floss, and rubber cement.

[img]https://www.thoughtco.com/thmb/upO6v9BtNJvqxefuZJ-ZLdWThNc=/768x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/photo1-57bf1b953df78cc16e1dcaaa.JPG

If it doesn't hold, you're out a couple bucks.
Old 09-12-18, 11:35 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
What amazes me is how many decades it took to come back to this realization.
Old 09-12-18, 02:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
What amazes me is how many decades it took to come back to this realization.
I attribute this, the trend to skinny tires during the 1980s on, to the strength of marketing and it's mistaken idea that racing is the pinnacle of cycling. Remember the build up to the 1984 Olympics and Alexi Grewal's gold in the road race? I see that as the pivot from the touring centric media view of cycling (here in the US during the 1970s) to the racing view. Then 9 years later along came an kid called Lance, the icing on the "racing is what counts cake". And in between there was Greg LeMond and the tour win. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 09-12-18 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Greg LeMond
Old 09-12-18, 03:11 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve fixed several sidewall cuts over the years. My usual method is to use Liqui-Sole to stick a piece of nylon cloth over the cut. Those patches have generally lasted the life of the tire. The last one are still ”pending”. Couldn’t find the piece of nylon fabric, so I used non-woven, both in and out instead. It’s holding up well so far, but there’s still plenty of life in the tire.
Old 09-12-18, 03:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Whilst @DrIsotope may churn out more watts, miles and elavation than I do I'll top him and anyone in this group when it comes to cheapness. It runs through my veins.

But even I wouldn't repair a gash in a tire that big. If it fails and your in a middle of a ride, what happes?

Well maybe I would fix it if its a errand bike that is going to be no more than a few miles from my home (see I can't help myself).

I dunno. I glue the cuts in my tires with R/C tire glue all the time. My tire-related pre-ride checklist goes: are the tires aired to the correct pressures and holding those pressures? Then good to go.

I ride 'em until they pop. When it fails, jam a dollar bill and a tube in there and head to the nearest bike shop. Because I am also cheap-- and when that is help up against my annual mileage, I have to buy at least one tire every 10 weeks.

I can't let a small cut end a tire's working life. It basically has to not be able to hold air anymore.