Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is this a Good Bike to Buy? -- 2011 Trek Alpha 2.1 Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is this a Good Bike to Buy? -- 2011 Trek Alpha 2.1 Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-17, 12:44 PM
chip1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kokol
Cannondale isnt sold at Toys R Us.
So some brands make bikes across all price range, even to bottom of the barrel level. Who cares? I have a high end Bell helmet that weighs under 250g but they're also sold at various department stores. You could add Diamondback to the list and I wouldn't hesitate to ride their flagship bike.
Old 09-16-17, 12:50 PM
chip1

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Btw I had that exact Trek bike; same color, size and everything (looks like a 52cm). It was a great bike. Too bad it's not the right size for you..that's an amazing deal.
Old 09-16-17, 02:50 PM
kokol

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipndale9
So some brands make bikes across all price range, even to bottom of the barrel level. Who cares? I have a high end Bell helmet that weighs under 250g but they're also sold at various department stores. You could add Diamondback to the list and I wouldn't hesitate to ride their flagship bike.
You'll never find an Orbea at Walmart.. thats guarenteed.
Old 09-16-17, 02:52 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Youre wrong. Raleigh and GT are dept store bikes that havent had the reputation of and lack the quality of serious bike brands. GT is owned by Dorel Industries the same company that owns Schwinn and Pacific. LOL.. Come on dude.
Maybe so but the store I bought my Cannondale from also sells Specialized and Raleigh. The Raleigh's look every bit as nice as anything on the floor equally spec'd. GT's have also been very popular around here for years, especially with the mtb crowd.
Old 09-16-17, 02:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
Youre wrong. Raleigh and GT are dept store bikes that havent had the reputation of and lack the quality of serious bike brands. GT is owned by Dorel Industries the same company that owns Schwinn and Pacific. LOL.. Come on dude.
Nothing wrong with being a newbie, everyone was at one time. What's important is to "know what you don't know" and avoid the embarrassment of flaunting your ignorance. You should first decide if you want a road bike, mtn bike or hybrid. Then read up on sizing. Then learn the hierarchy of components. Then begin looking at CL. Finding a decent bike for you budget will be challenging unless you are able to recognize value regardless of label.
Old 09-16-17, 02:53 PM
kokol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipndale9
Btw I had that exact Trek bike; same color, size and everything (looks like a 52cm). It was a great bike. Too bad it's not the right size for you..that's an amazing deal.
Which trek were you referring to? The last one I linked which is the 4100 with the 19.5" frame? Heres the link. Is this it?

Trek Alpha Aluminum 4100 Series Mountain Bike - No Reserve! Free Shipping! | eBay
Old 09-16-17, 03:01 PM
kokol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
Maybe so but the store I bought my Cannondale from also sells Specialized and Raleigh. The Raleigh's look every bit as nice as anything on the floor equally spec'd. GT's have also been very popular around here for years, especially with the mtb crowd.
Theres these serious bikers from my neighborhood. One of them owns an Orbea that cost him $4000. Each of them tells me to stay away from GT. I actually saw a GT broken in half. Nahh.. I'm staying away from those weak cheap made bikes. I'll stick with the proven brands.
Old 09-16-17, 08:08 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
There are different levels of some bikes, like Mongoose. There is the garbage sold at Wal-Mart, and then there is this. They are not all the same.

Old 09-17-17, 06:39 AM
dvdslw

Theres these serious bikers from my neighborhood. One of them owns an Orbea that cost him $4000. Each of them tells me to stay away from GT. I actually saw a GT broken in half. Nahh.. I'm staying away from those weak cheap made bikes. I'll stick with the proven brands.
Yeah, this GT really looks like a pos
Old 09-17-17, 06:41 AM
dvdslw

How about a Raleigh, here's another pos
Old 09-17-17, 11:16 AM
kokol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LMAO... yeah ok compare that garbage truck GT to this Orbea:

Old 09-17-17, 11:17 AM
kokol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm.,. Wonder why GT isn't on this list:

Keep your GT and Huffy. I'll look for serious bikes out there for me.
Old 09-17-17, 01:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Raleigh's and Schwinn's of the 70's and 80's are not the Raleigh's and Schwinn's of today. I own one of each. The 1978 Raleigh Competition GS is 23 pounds. and cost me less than your max budget. Also the Japan made frames of that period were pretty good frames if you know which to look for.

You can find Schwinn Tempo's, Preludes and Premis's from the 1980's on Ebay and elsewhere that are rideable and also within you budget, if... you are patient. You might even find a Raleigh or other vintage light weight bike cheap too. They can also be modified with newer components. I just put brand new 11 speed Shimano 105 5800 group on my 1991 Schwinn Paramount. I feel as up to date as anyone on a brand new bike.

New Raleigh's as well as some of the new Schwinn's do have some acceptable models depending on what it is you want. I still don't know that any of us know what it is you want. Bike choice depends on a lot of factors. There is no "best" everything is a compromise.

At the very least, Road Bike or Mountain Bike?

Good question. My budget is $90 - $200. I know its not enough to buy a new lightweight

Last edited by Iride01; 09-17-17 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 05:09 PM
draganm
b*r*ly ridi*g

Bikes: Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm.,. Wonder why GT isn't on this list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia2HLJDgLoI

Keep your GT and Huffy. I'll look for serious bikes out there for me.
for $200.?
the bikes in that video start at $3K, and go up from there
As others have pointed out, first decide mountain or road bike, 2 totally different animals, then
For $200. look for something that fits you and is mechanically sound.

Super-bike bench-racing talk, although entertaining, is simply not relevant to your situation at this time
Old 09-17-17, 06:10 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Nothing wrong with being a newbie, everyone was at one time. What's important is to "know what you don't know" and avoid the embarrassment of flaunting your ignorance. You should first decide if you want a road bike, mtn bike or hybrid. Then read up on sizing. Then learn the hierarchy of components. Then begin looking at CL. Finding a decent bike for you budget will be challenging unless you are able to recognize value regardless of label.
Good advise on all counts. OP needs to decide if he wants a road bike, a hybrid or a mountain bike, and get a better sense of his size in each.

Seems like OP is looking for steak when, at best he can afford hamburger. Given his modest budget, he might have to look for a diamond in the rough. No high end bike in pristine condition will be in his price range. Therefore, it is likely he will need to look for an older bike, or one that is cosmetically not perfect, a brand that is undervalued, or all three. And, SOME Schwinns, Raleighs, Diamondbacks and GTs, not to mention vintage Peugeots, Gitanes, Motebecanes, Panasonics, Bridgestones, and Fujis are in this category. Many of these brands were not just household names, but were among the best of the best 25 or 30 years ago but have faded into semi obscurity today. And if your budget is in the $200 range, that is about the best you can hope for.

I have found some deals on CL and from local bike shops, or even from guys working at bike shops over the years. For example,
A clean 1985 Schwinn Letour Luxe. American made, Columbus tubing, touring wheels. Bought it for $60. Paid a bike shop to overhaul it for another $100 or so. (new chain, freewheel, bar tape, tires, etc) Was my primary ride for a few years. Sold it after a few years because I realized I wanted a bike with STI rather than old school downtube shifters.

An early 2000s Schwinn Moab for my son to get him started with mountain biking. Paid maybe $150 from a bike mechanic who basically guaranteed it for the season. I knew it wasn't a department store Schwinn because it came with Deore LX and XT components and sold for around $1,000 when new. It wasn't the prettiest but it was a solid bike that served its purpose and I got most of my money back when I traded it for another used bike a few years later.

An early 80s Gitane, that I bought for a couple of hundred. Another find for my son. It is a bit of a Frankenbike, and not the prettiest. Even the wheels are mismatched. The front is a Mavic and the back is a Velocity, but both have Ultegra hubs. And the frame is really lightweight and someone put STI on it at some point because the bike is a 2 x 8 with a mix of Shimano 105 and 600 components, which was really good stuff in its time.

Last edited by MRT2; 09-17-17 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 10:45 PM
kokol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by draganm
for $200.?
the bikes in that video start at $3K, and go up from there
As others have pointed out, first decide mountain or road bike, 2 totally different animals, then
For $200. look for something that fits you and is mechanically sound.
Thast exactly the point I was making.

Originally Posted by MRT2
Good advise on all counts. OP needs to decide if he wants a road bike, a hybrid or a mountain bike, and get a better sense of his size in each.

Therefore, it is likely he will need to look for an older bike, or one that is cosmetically not perfect, a brand that is undervalued, or all three. And if your budget is in the $200 range, that is about the best you can hope for.
To answer your question I’m looking to get a used Cannondale, Trek, Haro or Specialized. Trust me, if I had money I’d buy a $5000 bike. But most of us aren’t as rich.

But I did find this little gem that I’m very attracted to. It’s a vintage retrobike Haro Extreme from ’91 I think. Mind you, its chromoly not aluminum given that it’s a ’91 bike. But the design got to me. Plus, Haro is one of the most innovative bike companies on earth which I respect a lot.

Theres a dude around my way who's very reluctant to sell it. He loves it big time. He says he may sell it but won't guarantee it. Anyway here's a pic. If I get it, it'll just be for casual biking in NYC and venturing out as far as New Jersey. Later on when I save enough I'll get a serious road bike. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
haro.jpg (101.6 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by kokol; 09-17-17 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 11:05 PM
MRT2

Thast exactly the point I was making.

To answer your question I’m looking to get a used Cannondale, Trek, Haro or Specialized. Trust me, if I had money I’d buy a $5000 bike. But most of us aren’t as rich.

But I did find this little gem that I’m very attracted to. It’s a vintage retrobike Haro Extreme from ’91 I think. Mind you, its chromoly not aluminum given that it’s a ’91 bike. But the design got to me. Plus, Haro is one of the most innovative bike companies on earth which I respect a lot.

Theres a dude around my way who's very reluctant to sell it. He loves it big time. He says he may sell it but won't guarantee it. Anyway here's a pic. If I get it, it'll just be for casual biking in NYC and venturing out as far as New Jersey. Later on when I save enough I'll get a serious road bike. Let me know what you think.
Cannondale, Trek and Specialized are not brands that are undervalued, so you might need to pay a premium for said products. The reason being, these three brands, and Giant are the brands you are the most heavily advertised and sold currently new. IDK about Haro, and I am scratching my head as to why you would pick Haro, or all brands as standing out over 10 or 15 other quality brands you didn't mention. The real bargains are the brands you don't see at your local urban or suburban bike palace. Educate yourself about some of the brands, that might fly under the radar.
Old 09-17-17, 11:38 PM
kokol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Cannondale, Trek and Specialized are not brands that are undervalued, so you might need to pay a premium for said products. The reason being, these three brands, and Giant are the brands you are the most heavily advertised and sold currently new. IDK about Haro, and I am scratching my head as to why you would pick Haro, or all brands as standing out over 10 or 15 other quality brands you didn't mention. The real bargains are the brands you don't see at your local urban or suburban bike palace. Educate yourself about some of the brands, that might fly under the radar.
Well I'm scratching my head as to why you wouldn't pick Haro being that it's one of the most innnovative companies. You need to educate yourself and be more open as to the companies who've contributed their creative genius to the bike world. But to each their own.

Youre confusing top brands with economics. Said it a few times but I'll say it again though its tiring. Read my last post. If I had the money I'd buy a top bike. Do you want me to steal a Cannondale to satisfy your standards?

That said, I dont want to turn this into a flame war. Its not needed and will tempt the trolls. I'm hoping your not one.

Anyway, I got my eye on this Haro whose pic I attached in my last post. What do you guys think and the reason I gave to buy it?
Old 09-18-17, 03:53 AM
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, with Dura Ace, 56 cm, I am 5'11", that need a home, $850. Just bought a new bike
Old 09-18-17, 04:39 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Well I'm scratching my head as to why you wouldn't pick Haro being that it's one of the most innnovative companies. You need to educate yourself and be more open as to the companies who've contributed their creative genius to the bike world. But to each their own.

Anyway, I got my eye on this Haro whose pic I attached in my last post. What do you guys think and the reason I gave to buy it?
Confusion probably comes from you asking about an mtb in the road biking forums instead of general cycling or MTB?

The Haro looks sweet, but I wouldn't sell it for less then $200, especially in NYC Good luck convincing him!

Those other two bikes you posted from eBay both have disclaimers stating they may have dents and scratches from use, which would scare me off right away. You'd be SOL if those aluminum bikes arrived with a dent.
Old 09-18-17, 06:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
I think it's an old MTB from a company more known for BMX. If you can get it for $200 and you want to ride off road, go for it. Otherwise.... Maybe your mom can chip in, raise your budget some?
Old 09-18-17, 06:58 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Yeah, you guys are all confused and don't understand. And give lousy advice.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-18-17, 07:02 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
IBTOPIROOT

(In before the OP is run out of town)
Old 09-18-17, 07:09 AM
MRT2

Youre confusing top brands with economics. Said it a few times but I'll say it again though its tiring. Read my last post. If I had the money I'd buy a top bike. Do you want me to steal a Cannondale to satisfy your standards?

That said, I dont want to turn this into a flame war. Its not needed and will tempt the trolls. I'm hoping your not one.

I would pass. It isn't that old mountain bikes can't make fine urban assault vehicles. They can. But by modern standards, such a bike will be heavy and relatively slow. And that doesn't seem to fit with what you are looking for, which is light and fast.

Second, any bike that is 26 or 27 years old, unless it was very recently overhauled, is potentially in need of some work. Again, if money isn't an issue, then no problem. Bikes are relatively simple machines and if the hubs need servicing, if the brake pads are worn or dried out, if the chain is stretched, if the bottom bracket needs replacing, etc, etc,,, then no problem. It is only money. But if money is an issue, you are maybe better finding something for cheaper knowing you have $100 or more in parts and maybe labor to put into it, or pay a bit more for something that is either newer or freshly overhauled and ready to go.
Old 09-18-17, 08:31 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
How about a Raleigh, here's another pos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpgkNX00lF0
Looks good to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.