Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Replacement Top For Vintage Brooks B72

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 09:23 AM
MissSerafina

Bikes: 1962 Raleigh Sports, an even earlier Western Flyer (also made by Raleigh), 1983 Specialized Expedition (Touring)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All,

I have a vintage Brooks B72 whose leather top has seen better days. The saddle was made in 1962.

I'm looking for a replacement top that fits [crome] B72 rails of this vintage. Brooks changed the size of the B72 at some point, and I'm not sure what options may exist for servicing these older styles...

If anyone has a B72 (top or complete saddle) at this size, or knows of where to get one, please let me know. The top needs to be ridable: not cracked, dried out, split near the rivets, etc. I've been browsing eBay but it seems like survivors are hard to come by.
Old 09-25-17, 09:46 AM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
paging @rhm

a forum member (rhm) does a great job replacing the leather, i'm sure he will be along shortly.
Old 09-25-17, 10:11 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
If you search on ebay for "replacement leather saddle" or the like, and restrict the results to cycling, you often find a leather top that was probably made in India or China. I don't know if they're any good. Riveting the leather to the old Brooks hardware is easier if you have the right tools, but all you really need is a hammer, punch, and anvil.
Old 09-25-17, 10:25 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
If this is a saddle that you really want restored rather than replaced, you owe it to yourself to commission @rhm to do the work. You won't be disappointed.

1006141537.jpg

1006141538.jpg
Old 09-25-17, 11:03 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 87 Posts
@rhm, can you emboss Ideale logos as well?
Old 09-25-17, 11:30 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
@rhm, can you emboss Ideale logos as well?
Yes, with certain limitations. Ideale used a lot of different stamps over the years, and I haven't seen them all. But if the stamp on the old saddle is recognizable, I should be able to match it pretty well.
Old 09-25-17, 02:03 PM
MissSerafina

Bikes: 1962 Raleigh Sports, an even earlier Western Flyer (also made by Raleigh), 1983 Specialized Expedition (Touring)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hudson308
If this is a saddle that you really want restored rather than replaced, you owe it to yourself to commission @rhm to do the work. You won't be disappointed.

Attachment 582156

Attachment 582157
Dear @rhm,

I'd like to message you, but have less than 10 posts. Message me or I'll get there soon!
Old 09-25-17, 02:20 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by MissSerafina
Dear @rhm,

I'd like to message you, but have less than 10 posts. Message me or I'll get there soon!
Welcome to the forums!! Post a few pics of your bike and saddle that should use up a few post

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-28-17, 05:50 AM
tony colegrave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B.72 replacement tops.

Many years ago I acquired a huge quantity of Brooks factory 'cosmetic reject' leather tops, all clearly dating from the 1960s. The majority of them had obviously been intended for B.66, 72 or 73 models, all of which (as most will know) are the same size (260mm.x205mm. nominal). The defect that had caused these things to be rejected in most cases was that a small slice of leather (about 5mm. max.) had been chopped off the nose, making them unmarketable but not in any way structurally compromised.

Ironic, in a way, that this 'defect' occurred at just the same time as Brooks were introducing the Professional models with their 'racey' chopped noses - presumably these poor things got into the wrong manufacturing process?

The leather was of typical 1960s quality (i.e. probably slightly better than the stuff being offered these days), all were dyed black and they had been stored for a number of years in an ideal environment - a situation that has been maintained since they've been in my care.

I've managed to find a variety of uses for quite a lot of these things, but there's still a large number left - many of which I don't suppose I'll ever use. If anyone's looking for a cheap method of 'reviving' an old model of these very common saddles, simply for utilitarian purposes or as a basis for further 'customisation', I'll be pleased to send further details.
Old 09-28-17, 06:08 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
What a rare offer. I hope someone takes advantage of this.
Old 09-28-17, 07:29 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tony colegrave
Many years ago I acquired a huge quantity of Brooks factory 'cosmetic reject' leather tops, all clearly dating from the 1960s. The majority of them had obviously been intended for B.66, 72 or 73 models, all of which (as most will know) are the same size (260mm.x205mm. nominal). The defect that had caused these things to be rejected in most cases was that a small slice of leather (about 5mm. max.) had been chopped off the nose, making them unmarketable but not in any way structurally compromised.

Ironic, in a way, that this 'defect' occurred at just the same time as Brooks were introducing the Professional models with their 'racey' chopped noses - presumably these poor things got into the wrong manufacturing process?

The leather was of typical 1960s quality (i.e. probably slightly better than the stuff being offered these days), all were dyed black and they had been stored for a number of years in an ideal environment - a situation that has been maintained since they've been in my care.

I've managed to find a variety of uses for quite a lot of these things, but there's still a large number left - many of which I don't suppose I'll ever use. If anyone's looking for a cheap method of 'reviving' an old model of these very common saddles, simply for utilitarian purposes or as a basis for further 'customisation', I'll be pleased to send further details.
What a coincidence! I just moved my torn up B72 to the top of the project queue. Incoming PM for details!
Old 09-28-17, 11:58 AM
MissSerafina

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Amazing! I'll ping you asap! Thanks Tony!
Old 09-28-17, 12:00 PM
MissSerafina

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pictures of the existing B72:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0916.jpg (91.4 KB, 322 views)
Old 09-28-17, 12:02 PM
MissSerafina

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And other:
Attached Images
IMG_0917.jpg (88.5 KB, 321 views)
Old 09-28-17, 01:56 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

That saddle looks to be in amazing shape for being 55 years old, maybe even unused. It also appears to be perfectly usable in its current state.
Old 09-29-17, 06:56 PM
MissSerafina

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That saddle looks to be in amazing shape for being 55 years old, maybe even unused. It also appears to be perfectly usable in its current state.
Well, it's not. The previous owner coated it liberally in beeswax in preparation for sale, but it's deeply cracked throughout and around the rivets. Anyone who has tried resurrecting a saddle (particularly a B72) in this state knows it's a loosing game. Further: they give out at the worst times, usually after a substantial bump or unavoidable pothole, a prospect which is not particularly welcome when riding the streets of New York.

If I had an unused B72 in perfectly serviceable condition the last thing I would be interested in doing is replacing it...

I know some people like to ride vintage saddles until they just disintegrate and are cast off into the wind with a gentle breeze, and this may be fine if you're coasting through seaside towns with one stoplight, but that's not my approach to cycling.
Likes For MissSerafina:
Old 09-29-17, 07:10 PM
16Victor

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Raleigh Competition GS, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 Trek 360, 1991 Trek 7000 MTB, 1999 Burley Rumba tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MissSerafina
... they give out at the worst times...
and it hurts.
@rhm, @Big Block. I understand both recover saddles, and well; I have excellent experience with one of them.
Old 09-29-17, 07:24 PM
MissSerafina

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's the top in raking light after the previous owner literally coated it with melted beeswax (maybe SnoSeal?). I've since given it a light treatment in Proofide but it's not getting any better. The underside is crazed with large cracks spiderwebbing across to each rivet.

Maybe, maybe, in my early 20s I would have ridden this (on a 50 year old bike) throughout NYC. But now I have other plans before I'm killed by the MTA.
Attached Images
IMG_0957.JPG (81.3 KB, 298 views)
Old 09-29-17, 07:31 PM
MissSerafina

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 16Victor
and it hurts.
@rhm, @Big Block. I understand both recover saddles, and well; I have excellent experience with one of them.
Thanks Victor!
Old 04-29-19, 11:01 AM
anibean

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
replaceing leather on saddle

Originally Posted by rhm
Yes, with certain limitations. Ideale used a lot of different stamps over the years, and I haven't seen them all. But if the stamp on the old saddle is recognizable, I should be able to match it pretty well.
I have a B 76 or 8 saddle belonging to a 1960 step through Dunelt. The leather is dry and starting to tear. Can this be replaced?
Old 04-29-19, 03:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by anibean
I have a B 76 or 8 saddle belonging to a 1960 step through Dunelt. The leather is dry and starting to tear. Can this be replaced?
Yes, get your post count up.

Paging @rhm
Old 09-04-19, 07:33 AM
BJ Kell

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for Brooks B72 Leather Top

Tony,

I'm looking to replace the old dried out leather top on a Brooks B72. It is coming off a 1970 vintage Raleigh 3 speed. Hopefully you still have some and would be willing to sell me one for a reasonable price.
Thanks,
BJ Kelly

Old 09-04-19, 11:47 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Paging @tony_colgrave
Old 09-20-19, 04:41 AM
Clancy1

Bikes: Colnago CT1 Colnago Master Olympic Colnago Tecnos Colnago C40 Breadwinner Lolo Tommasini Prestige Rourke 953 Strong XCR Richard Sachs SL Canyon Ultimate 7 Bianchi Limited 84 Dean El Diente CTI Malvern Star 5 Star

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello Tony i wonder if you can pm me I have a 60 yr saddle which decided to fail I would like to send back to the UK for you to repair
cheers Cam
Old 09-20-19, 05:05 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Maybe this should be a sticky!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.