Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2020 Domane SLR vs. SWorks Roubaix

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 04:12 PM
Chaossupreme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please don't kill me if this has been discussed before...several times as I bet it has. I did perform a quick search and couldn't find a topic on this comparison though (a bunch on each bike individually). I'm in the market to buy a Domane SLR 7 (DA or UDI2) or an Sworks Rouabix (with same drivetrain). I've historically been a fan of the Domane as I was unimpressed with the Specialized's paint schemes and technology (the cobl gobl-r thing, future shock 1.0 and 1.5 problems, etc) on the Roubaix for years, while the Domane was kicking butt with everything over the last 5 years. However, he update for the 2020 version with Futureshock 2.0 seems to fix all my concerns with the Roubaix and I was leaning toward it, then the 2020 Domane dropped and I'm like...what a dilemma. I'm now leaning toward the Domane again, but the extra weight the 2020 version has is a little disappointing. But I did see others saying you can't really tell or you can get some lighter wheels. But looking to get some thoughts from others who have one of the other / tried both of them, etc. Thank you for anything you can provide.
Old 12-11-19, 07:03 AM
swag72

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
I have a 2020 SLR7...... I changed the Aelous xxx3 wheels for the Aelous xxx4 as I didn't want 32's. The Aelous xxx4 from what I read are considered very good wheels. Previously I rode a Roubaix, but it was from 2017 so had the first generation Future Shock. As a direct comparison between these bikes I felt that they were different. I instantly felt the rigidity of the Domane compared to the Roubaix. It seemed much more sure footed. This was confirmed on downhills where the Roubaix used to shake, rattle and roll over a particularly rough patch that I cycle, whereas instantly the Domane was a huge surprise. Faster and just felt safer. Hill climbing I don't really notice a difference between the bikes (except the difference between 105 and Di2 Ultegra)

Comfort wise the Domane has the edge for sure. On a bad surface there is much less vibration through the handlebars (On the Roubaix I couldn't read my Garmin as it was shaking around so much) which makes for a much more comfortable ride. The rear ISO works well and I feel that this really helps with overall comfort.

Sadly I can't help with your comparison dilemma as the Roubaix I had was not the current model. Everything I read about the Domane (trust me I did a lot of reading as there was no test bike available for me to try) led me to believe that I would enjoy it and it would suit my needs. I like to do rides of 3-4 hours in the saddle and I am comfortable through out this time.
Old 12-11-19, 07:38 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Just throwing this in there because I was in a similar position looking at the Domane and Roubaix. I opted to buy the 2019 Domane SLR frameset directly from Trek that's on sale right now 50% off to build with my choice of components and wheels. I saw lots of positive reviews of that generation Domane and from what I gathered comes in almost two pounds lighter in the slr form to the comparable 2020 model. After adding it all up, I'll end up building this bike for less than half of what the Domane slr9 retailed for complete although I'm doing Udi2 instead of DA. Just a thought.
Old 12-11-19, 09:11 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaossupreme
I was unimpressed with the Specialized's paint schemes and technology (the cobl gobl-r thing, future shock 1.0 and 1.5 problems, etc
I've read of issues with the 1.0, but what kind of problems are going on with the 1.5?
Old 12-11-19, 08:16 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
When I decided to buy a new road bike I test drove the Roubaix because that was the bike I wanted on paper. It seemed to have everything I wanted in a road bike. When I rode it I didn't like it, it was uncomfortable. The components were great, the wheels were good enough, there was just something about the frame I didn't like. I then tried the Domane and I loved the ride but wanted to make sure that this was the bike. So I test rode a Cannondale Supersix and a Giant Defy Advanced Pro. Both of these were good bikes but not great. Back to the Domane and it was a no-brainer. The bike fits my style more than the other bikes did.

Do I think everyone should buy a Domane? No not at all. It is just a bike that seemed to fit me well and is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. It could be a combination of ISO Speed, frame geometry, frame material. I think when you hit that price range of bike, EVERY bike is good, it only comes down to personal preference.

I am one of the ones that complained about the weight. For a carbon bike, it is a little much but you will have to decide what is too heavy.

Either bike will serve you well and maybe it will come down to colour as the deciding factor. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 12-12-19, 06:04 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
When I decided to buy a new road bike I test drove the Roubaix because that was the bike I wanted on paper. It seemed to have everything I wanted in a road bike. When I rode it I didn't like it, it was uncomfortable. The components were great, the wheels were good enough, there was just something about the frame I didn't like. I then tried the Domane and I loved the ride but wanted to make sure that this was the bike. So I test rode a Cannondale Supersix and a Giant Defy Advanced Pro. Both of these were good bikes but not great. Back to the Domane and it was a no-brainer. The bike fits my style more than the other bikes did.

Do I think everyone should buy a Domane? No not at all. It is just a bike that seemed to fit me well and is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. It could be a combination of ISO Speed, frame geometry, frame material. I think when you hit that price range of bike, EVERY bike is good, it only comes down to personal preference.

I am one of the ones that complained about the weight. For a carbon bike, it is a little much but you will have to decide what is too heavy.

Either bike will serve you well and maybe it will come down to colour as the deciding factor. Good luck with what ever you decide.
I had the exact same experience between those two bikes. The Roubaix seems like the best choice when you research it behind a keyboard but riding both back to back tells a different story.
Old 12-15-19, 09:08 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Yea, I was also researching both of these for my next bike. Well, The Roubaix and the Domane that is. I ended up with the 2020 Domane SLR7 UDi2 and haven't looked back. Love this bike. It's comfortable, fun, feels fast to me, and I have no issues climbing with it. It also turns heads with the Project One ICON paint scheme.
Old 12-16-19, 10:13 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Have you considered Cannondale Synapse?
When my wife was looking for a new bike we went to test ride the Domane, but they also had a good deal on the Synapse and she liked the ride a lot more and she loves the bike.
Old 12-17-19, 01:12 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
In its specific category and separately when considered as an all-around road bike Domane rules. Trek's warranty beats all.
Old 12-17-19, 02:21 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I have owned several bikes and my favorite of all-time still is an Orca that got stolen. If you get a chance to ride an Orbea, I would do it. You might be surprised.