Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's Build My Peter Mooney.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's Build My Peter Mooney.

Old 01-03-20, 09:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
So what I'd like to do here is begin a build thread for this bike, and I'd really love to hear suggestions from everyone here. I'm mainly interested in suggestions for components and what gruppo I should use. The rear dropouts are spaced at 130mm, so that means a maximum of a 10-speed cassette. I'm not opposed to using an 8 or 9-speed group if a nice one comes my way. Aesthetically, I would like to keep the bike looking traditional, meaning that I think it would look best if the components are all silver - no black!
Modern black would look incredible with that red, but its your new frame so by all means- silver it up.
Just want to pop in and mention that 130mm rear spacing is modern road rim brake spacing. An 11sp hub will work because thats what its build as- 130mm.

I know nothing about Campy, but they have modern silver still.

If you want to go a different route, you could do-
-a modern Sugino silver crank https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/products/road/ox.html
-a DuraAce r9000 rear derailleur with the silver logo and pivot https://www.ebay.com/p/691331154?iid...hoC2R8QAvD_BwE
- any number of front derailleurs since the cages are polished- so DA, Ultegra, 105.
- 5800 105 shifters if you need silver levers, or Ultegra shifters if you dont actually need silver colored shifters.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-03-20, 09:30 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
You've probably noticed this Campy Record stuff listed on CL that is close to you, why not see if he also has some wheels to go with it? The price is not bad and, since it has been listed for more than a month, there is probably some wiggle room (it even comes with red bar tape!).

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bop/...024942688.html

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bop/...024819404.html

Old 01-03-20, 10:00 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Some of this is stylistic and preference...

I have three Mooney frames, and all 3 show thinning to the lugs, but not to the point where they loose character. He typically sculpts the lug to where it tapers. There are some builders who do more thinning.

I personally don't like when the seattube is thinned to a point.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 01-03-20, 10:30 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik
Damn, how much?

Very off topic but GrainBrain, is your name by any chance a reference to the nutritional guide book of the same name by David Perlmutter? If not, nvm.
Yes you're the first person to notice
The seller listed it at $625, and that's what I paid. Add on top of that half a tank of gas for my truck, and a Wendy's Dave's Double with cheese.
*Falls off chair*
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-03-20, 11:34 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Wow. Speechless. Congrats.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 01-03-20, 12:06 PM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-03-20, 12:11 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
That bike looks like a day tripper. Rack on the back with a top mount bag, two bottle mounts, no fenders and extended head tube for a more upright position. That is how it presents itself.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 01-03-20, 12:23 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
I think a lot of build considerations, for me, depend on how wide a tire might fit or if a 650b conversion might work.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-03-20, 12:25 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
That bike looks like a day tripper. Rack on the back with a top mount bag, two bottle mounts, no fenders and extended head tube for a more upright position. That is how it presents itself.
You noticed the extended headtube also. Cool. I'll run drops on this of course, but a little higher for comfort would be nice too.
Old 01-03-20, 12:30 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
You've probably noticed this Campy Record stuff listed on CL that is close to you, why not see if he also has some wheels to go with it? The price is not bad and, since it has been listed for more than a month, there is probably some wiggle room (it even comes with red bar tape!).

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bop/...024942688.html

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bop/...024819404.html

Those are sweet deals indeed, and close! The trouble is, Steve Bilenky still has the fork for my Tourlite, and I need to get that back and installed before I go off the deep end with this build. He was supposed to have it done by Thanksgiving, then promised by Christmas, and I call him next week. If its not done, I'll ask to get it back and do the mod myself.
Old 01-03-20, 12:48 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Those are sweet deals indeed, and close! The trouble is, Steve Bilenky still has the fork for my Tourlite, and I need to get that back and installed before I go off the deep end with this build. He was supposed to have it done by Thanksgiving, then promised by Christmas, and I call him next week. If its not done, I'll ask to get it back and do the mod myself.
Good guy, but...yeah. I like him very much, and he usually does quality work, but it can be laborious at times.

If you know Simon @ Firth and Wilson (used to work for SB), I think he's a bit more dependable.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 01-03-20, 12:57 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

UPDATE:

I just called Belmont Wheelworks and asked to speak with Peter. Apparently He only works Sunday through Thursday. The person with whom I spoke could not give me any information on the frame, so I sent Peter an email with attached photos. Hopefully I will know more about it soon enough.
Old 01-03-20, 01:06 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Good guy, but...yeah. I like him very much, and he usually does quality work, but it can be laborious at times.

If you know Simon @ Firth and Wilson (used to work for SB), I think he's a bit more dependable.
Thanks for this. I've heard that they do excellent work! Thing is, I have the skills to install a new headtube, but I kind of wanted Bilenky to do it. I'll not ride the bike until Spring, but that's not the point. All this would never even be an issue, if he hadn't built the bike with a 1" threadless headtube, and the PO had it cut short (and crooked).
Old 01-03-20, 01:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Well, you paid more than I did and I got mine factory direct. UPS took it to my door. What you did get that I didn't was the super paint job. Mine was painted with a single color dark sky blue metal flake, but Peter was using a local framebuilder and painter who was/is well known for his spectacular paint jobs but on mine, the prep work was poor and I had chipped paint on the lug points before I took the frame out of the box. (And, yes, UPS treated the box like precious cargo; this was not on them.) Five years later, I had crashed, had Peter build me a new fork and send it to me bare and had Ed Litton do a bronze metal flake paint job (for waaaayyyy too little money). That second try was a success! It's due for it's third this year but that last has served me very, very well.

Your paint was probably done by that well known outfit in San Diego. Peter went to them around when mine got Ed Litton's paint. Peter said it was far better for him, both business-wise and results-wise to UPS his finished frames across the country, get a rock solid paint job done and have the frame UPS'd back than seek out the very best local painter. Kind of a sad observation.

Did my math, By the time I had the second fork and a good paint job, I had $45 more into my frame than you. So, good work! Now build it up and ride the heck out of it! (Mine hit 50,000 miles last May while riding gravel in central Oregon.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-03-20, 01:17 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Well, you paid more than I did and I got mine factory direct. UPS took it to my door. What you did get that I didn't was the super paint job. Mine was painted with a single color dark sky blue metal flake, but Peter was using a local framebuilder and painter who was/is well known for his spectacular paint jobs but on mine, the prep work was poor and I had chipped paint on the lug points before I took the frame out of the box. (And, yes, UPS treated the box like precious cargo; this was not on them.) Five years later, I had crashed, had Peter build me a new fork and send it to me bare and had Ed Litton do a bronze metal flake paint job (for waaaayyyy too little money). That second try was a success! It's due for it's third this year but that last has served me very, very well.

Your paint was probably done by that well known outfit in San Diego. Peter went to them around when mine got Ed Litton's paint. Peter said it was far better for him, both business-wise and results-wise to UPS his finished frames across the country, get a rock solid paint job done and have the frame UPS'd back than seek out the very best local painter. Kind of a sad observation.

Did my math, By the time I had the second fork and a good paint job, I had $45 more into my frame than you. So, good work! Now build it up and ride the heck out of it! (Mine hit 50,000 miles last May while riding gravel in central Oregon.)

Ben
Mooney Brothers!
Old 01-03-20, 01:22 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
^ Let’s at least play fair!
https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl
Old 01-03-20, 01:43 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
That's just awesome!

When you're done with the build can I just visit to look at it?!
Old 01-03-20, 03:27 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
That's just awesome!

When you're done with the build can I just visit to look at it?!
Of course!
Old 01-03-20, 03:35 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

I'll definitely put a Swift on it.

Old 01-03-20, 04:36 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Mooney Advice...

Hi, Everyone. Yesterday was a pretty good day for me. I was just drinking my morning coffee, still in my PJ's, when I saw this on CL. I almost spit coffee everywhere when I saw it, grabbed my phone, and immediately called the seller, who was in Pawtucket, which was a three hour drive. He said there was a guy who already got ahead of me and was making plans to come look at it. I said, "Call me if the deal falls through. I will come promptly and pay full price in cash." Well, that worked because 45 minutes later he called me and said that the other guy wanted to postpone until the weekend, and it was mine if I still wanted it. I just about feel out of my chair right then and there. He even said he'd gladly meet me halfway! That would shave and hour and a half off my trip! I got dressed and let the dog out out and was on my way. We figured out that Burlington, Massachusetts was halfway between us, and we met at The Cheesecake Factory, which was right off the highway.

Nice guy. Said he bough this at an estate sale, which he attended to purchase vintage camera equipment. The guy at the sale asked if he was interested in the frame, so he called a friend, and the friend said ,"BUY IT NOW." I have a feeling this guy got it super-cheap. Thing is, I feel that I got it super-cheap, and I am totally happy with this bike. It wasn't made for me, but the dimensions are perfectly suitable for my body.

So what I'd like to do here is begin a build thread for this bike, and I'd really love to hear suggestions from everyone here. I'm mainly interested in suggestions for components and what gruppo I should use. The rear dropouts are spaced at 130mm, so that means a maximum of a 10-speed cassette. I'm not opposed to using an 8 or 9-speed group if a nice one comes my way. Aesthetically, I would like to keep the bike looking traditional, meaning that I think it would look best if the components are all silver - no black! This frame is nice, and a frame like this deserves the very best.

Please help! Any and all advice welcome!

Get rid of it. Sell it to me... If you won't take my advice.... Don't Tell me where you live, either. WOW, What a find! You handled it just right, Congratulations!!!
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 01-03-20, 09:57 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,127 Posts
If any frame called for those over-the-top Curtis Odom high flange hubs this is the one.
https://curtisodom.tumblr.com/image/102880727404

Brent
Old 01-04-20, 06:09 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
If any frame called for those over-the-top Curtis Odom high flange hubs this is the one.
You might even see if Curtis will make you a set with all four suits to match the cutouts on your frame.
Old 01-04-20, 07:01 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by obrentharris
https://curtisodom.tumblr.com/image/102880727404

Brent
Originally Posted by smontanaro
You might even see if Curtis will make you a set with all four suits to match the cutouts on your frame.
Those hubs are pretty slick, but I suspect the price is way over the top.

The problem I'm having is with today's component manufacturers push for technology and disregard for graceful retro style. Sure, I would love to have a modern 11-speed component group, but they are all in some sh*tty shade of black. One ride, and they look gross and need to be cleaned. THIS frame deserves the very best (within budgetary reason). Hence my quandary.
Old 01-04-20, 08:42 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Maybe I'm crazy, but if that were mine I'd be very tempted to use Campagnolo Super Record from the early 80's.
Elegant, graceful, polished.
Won't take away from the frame details.
Not fussy.
Fewer cable housings.
I'd also use something like TB-14 polished box section rims with skinwalls.

Meanwhile, here's a totally gratuitous picture of my former Mooney, nowhere near as fancy as yours but a truly superb rider. Now resides in a midwestern Mooney collection.

Old 01-04-20, 05:39 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by rccardr
Maybe I'm crazy, but if that were mine I'd be very tempted to use Campagnolo Super Record from the early 80's.
Elegant, graceful, polished.
Won't take away from the frame details.
Not fussy.
Fewer cable housings.
I'd also use something like TB-14 polished box section rims with skinwalls.

Meanwhile, here's a totally gratuitous picture of my former Mooney, nowhere near as fancy as yours but a truly superb rider. Now resides in a midwestern Mooney collection.

That's gorgeous, man! Do me a favor and cuff yourself upside the head for me (for selling it).

I also agree with you on the Super Record. I think the K.I.S.S. principle should be applied when choosing components for this frame. I'm pretty sure this'll be a lifetime bike for me, and it deserves great components that compliment the frame and don't try to hide behind so-called technology.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.