Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Minimum size tires for 29 inch x 41mm rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-20, 08:18 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts

I have a 29 Plus bike (29x3 Chupacabra tires) , but sometimes I might like to ride on some pavement in addition to the dirt/gravel roads for which the bike seems to have been made. I upgraded the rims a while back to carbon Whisky, 41mm width. What is the most narrow tire that I should mount on these wheels? It would likely be a gravel tire of some kind, and hopefully tubeless, as are the Chupacabras. It's just that the Chupas are like glue on pavement.
Old 03-04-20, 09:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
I suspect that even a 38 wide tire will seat (likely with a tube). I wouldn't want to rid that set up though.

I don't like the straight/vertical side wall that seems to be the current fashion. But you will do what you want. Andy
Old 03-04-20, 10:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don’t know what the minimum size is in terms of getting the tire to mount and stay on securely, but if you run tires with any sort of side knobs, if you go too narrow then the tire profile may be flattened out enough that you are always riding on the side knobs, rather than just when you lean the bike over.
Old 03-04-20, 11:32 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
According to the DT Swiss chart I like to use for ref. 2.80" - 3.20" are recommended with 2.35" - 4.20" being possible combinations. Assuming the 41mm is the inside rim width.

DT Swiss Tire Pressure and Dimension Chart
Old 03-05-20, 09:06 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I think, in general, it seems like a bad idea to have a tire narrower than your rim. I am guessing the 41mm is the outer width because when I googled 'whisky rim 41 mm' the words '35 mm inner width' popped up. So a 700x42 mm tire would be the narrowest I would use.
Old 03-05-20, 09:55 AM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I think, in general, it seems like a bad idea to have a tire narrower than your rim. I am guessing the 41mm is the outer width because when I googled 'whisky rim 41 mm' the words '35 mm inner width' popped up. So a 700x42 mm tire would be the narrowest I would use.
Originally Posted by August West
According to the DT Swiss chart I like to use for ref. 2.80" - 3.20" are recommended with 2.35" - 4.20" being possible combinations. Assuming the 41mm is the inside rim width.

DT Swiss Tire Pressure and Dimension Chart
Thanks for this information. To tell the truth, I didn't know whether the 41 was inside or outside width, but I didn't want to dismount the tire in order to find out. All of the replies were helpful, and I appreciate the advice. I have a couple other sets of tires, so when the time comes, I'll know which ones to try. I'm much obliged.
Old 03-06-20, 12:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
"I didn't know whether the 41 was inside or outside width, but I didn't want to dismount the tire in order to find out"

Measure the outside of rim width. Is it 41mm? If so then the inside width isn't 41mm. Andy
Old 03-06-20, 01:20 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Tire speed is mostly a consequence of casing construction and tread pattern, and not width. There are a lot of fast tires in the 2.0-2.2" range, and I'd pick from one of them. https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...elope-hill-tc/ would be my choice if cost were not an object. Schwalbe G One Speed in 2.35" would be a good, more mainstream option.
Old 03-09-20, 07:18 AM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
"I didn't know whether the 41 was inside or outside width, but I didn't want to dismount the tire in order to find out"

Measure the outside of rim width. Is it 41mm? If so then the inside width isn't 41mm. Andy
Well sure, um, and this is very embarrassing, that is, I don't have calipers with which I might measure the outside width while the tire is in place on the rim. Regardless, (and I admit that I forgot to Google said rim to see what information on the rim I might learn there) I thought there might be some axiom that the tire minimum width should be, say, "20%+" more than the rim width, for general handling characteristics. Anyway, it IS a Plus bike, so I don't anticipate mounting skinny tires on it. Just wondering how narrow of a gravel tire I should run if I have a ride on mixed surfaces, i.e. pavement on the way to gravel roads.

And thanks for pointing out the obvious. I have been known to overlook that while immersed in the underlying theory.
Old 03-09-20, 07:39 AM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by cpach
Tire speed is mostly a consequence of casing construction and tread pattern, and not width. There are a lot of fast tires in the 2.0-2.2" range, and I'd pick from one of them. https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...elope-hill-tc/ would be my choice if cost were not an object. Schwalbe G One Speed in 2.35" would be a good, more mainstream option.
Thanks, that is very helpful.
Old 03-09-20, 08:08 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
So, not to be a jerk, but the web is your friend and the manufacturer usually posts useful information (not always though!).

The Whisky 41 rim has a 35mm inner diameter and the optimal recommended tire width is 2.4”-2.8".
https://whiskyparts.co/rims/no9_41w_Rim

2.4”-2.8" is 61-71mm. But to your question, they recommend 2.4 as the smallest "optimal" tire. That is probably "optimal" for the intended use of the rim which is mtb/off-road. You probably could go a little smaller, but you'd want to check the tire mfr specs and recommendations. Not sure how much extra benefit you'd get by riding, for example, 2-1/4" inch tires as compared to a 2.4" width tire.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 03-09-20 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 08:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
29 plus are the same BSD as 29" tires..... generally. Which also share the same BSD as 700C tires, 622 mm. You should be able to run a 29" tire on those rims, this being one of them that to me looks better than a knobby for road, but there might be others too.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Hoo...Wire-Bead-Tire

Might be better to get a set of wheels with narrower rims. Then you can open up your tire options more. There will be plenty of road options as you get narrower. You'll also have a set of wheels you can swap easily for your riding conditions.

This is one case where disc brakes if you have them will be an advantage as you can swap wheels without having to adjust brakes for the narrower rims.

p.s. if those are Bontrager rims, then look carefully and you might see a sticker or printing for the internal width and BSD. Many rims of other Mfr's will have this too. My son's 29er from Trek has it on them. I have to use magnifying glass or snap a pic with my phone and enlarge it as it's too tiny for my eyes.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-09-20 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 09:09 AM
balrog687

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2.4 tires are the minimum recomended for 35mm inner rims. So +1 to schwalbe g one speed on 29x2.35 or surly ET on 29x2.5 if you want more durability.
Old 03-09-20, 10:18 AM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
So, not to be a jerk, but the web is your friend and the manufacturer usually posts useful information (not always though!).

The Whisky 41 rim has a 35mm inner diameter and the optimal recommended tire width is 2.4”-2.8".
https://whiskyparts.co/rims/no9_41w_Rim

2.4”-2.8" is 61-71mm. But to your question, they recommend 2.4 as the smallest "optimal" tire. That is probably "optimal" for the intended use of the rim which is mtb/off-road. You probably could go a little smaller, but you'd want to check the tire mfr specs and recommendations. Not sure how much extra benefit you'd get by riding, for example, 2-1/4" inch tires as compared to a 2.4" width tire.
Thanks, and I don't think anyone posting here has been a jerk. I sometimes overlook the obvious (manufacturer's website) and go instead to BF to search or ask for opinions. It makes me feel more connected to the world at large.

And yes, I have disc brakes, and also other wheel sets with mtb tires mounted, 29 x 2.2 to 2.35, but those rims are aluminum. Therefore, I am weighing the option of simply swapping wheel sets versus swapping tires on the one set of carbon rims.

Ultimately I will try the Schwalbe G-One gravel tire, which I surmise is substantially different from the typical Maxxis mtb tire. Better on pavement, anyhow.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 03-09-20 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 10:29 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
My Trek Marlin 6 is-was a 29r. The knobbies that came on it wore down . As I am riding mostly all flat trails, I put on a set of Kenda Kross 700 X 42s .They seem to ride almost as smooth as the 29rs did.
Old 03-09-20, 10:52 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
And yes, I have disc brakes, and also other wheel sets with mtb tires mounted, 29 x 2.2 to 2.35, but those rims are aluminum. Therefore, I am weighing the option of simply swapping wheel sets versus swapping tires on the one set of carbon rims.

Ultimately I will try the Schwalbe G-One gravel tire, which I surmise is substantially different from the typical Maxxis mtb tire. Better on pavement, anyhow.
An embarrassment of riches. How do you like the Chupacubras? They're 3 inch, right?
Old 03-09-20, 10:55 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
... I sometimes ... go ... to BF to search or ask for opinions. It makes me feel more connected to the world at large.
I'm an extrovert, and work as a consultant mostly out of my home. So I understand perfectly. This website (and one other, for machinists) is my "water cooler" and connection to people.

But now, I have to go back to some very tedious data treatment. Sigh...
Old 03-09-20, 04:35 PM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
An embarrassment of riches. How do you like the Chupacubras? They're 3 inch, right?
Yes, 29 x 3 inch. I actually love the Chupas in the environment for which they were intended, gravel and dirt. Pavement riding has me checking the knobby surface for glue.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 03-10-20 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 04:47 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
IF it were me, looking for the narrowest "safe" tire for a 41mm outside width CARBON rim-
I would go as narrow as 50-51mm. (1.95-2.0)
That gives about 5mm on each side to make curb contact, helping protect the rim.
IF pavement only, you might want some lighter "street slicks".