Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 06-07-17, 12:44 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They mean you have a hockey player haircut and are showing off their lacking understanding of Californian's ironic adoption of tasteless objects as fashion forward. Like wearing a mullet or drinking ****ty beer in upscale joints or socialites wearing cowboy boots on Rodeo Drive.
Old 06-07-17, 12:54 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Well, really I just want someone to tell me what I already want to do of course! Seriously though, I really don't trust the seat back/long stem stuff but that's just cuz I know it wouldn't work with the rest of my fit as-is. I guess it could work with other tweaks maybe. It might be worth talking to the right pro fitter, but I'm wary of fitters ever since I paid hundreds and spent hours on a TT fit at a very highly recommended place (Revolutions in Fitness) and came away with far less confidence in fitters and feel like I wasted time and money on that experiment.
I hear you. I spent a couple hundred at a previous fitter that came super highly recommended by friends, and ended up not riding any faster or more comfortably, and developing knee issues shortly after, so my trust wasn't particularly high either. I think the fact that we already have a working relationship, and he's invested in me getting faster and getting results and not overuse injuries makes it a little easier to buy into. Really the major changes for me other than the more stretched out bars/saddle were the very low (compared to before) saddle height, and slammed back cleats.

I never stretch :|

Here's my bike as it's set up now, compared to how it was set up before:

Now -

Before -

Added a photo on the bike to the suffering thread (to keep from spamming this one up excessively)

Last edited by wktmeow; 06-07-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 01:01 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At least I'm not that guy in blue lol!
Maybe you're joking because you read the thread, but the guy in blue is an ex-pro and he won the race kind of puts it all in perspective.
Old 06-07-17, 01:03 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
I hear you. I spent a couple hundred at a previous fitter that came super highly recommended by friends, and ended up not riding any faster or more comfortably, and developing knee issues shortly after, so my trust wasn't particularly high either. I think the fact that we already have a working relationship, and he's invested in me getting faster and getting results and not overuse injuries makes it a little easier to buy into. Really the major changes for me other than the more stretched out bars/saddle were the very low (compared to before) saddle height, and slammed back cleats.

I never stretch :|

Here's my bike as it's set up now, compared to how it was set up before:

Now -

Before -

Added a photo on the bike to the suffering thread (to keep from spamming this one up excessively)
Even though you don't stretch, how is your flexibility?
Old 06-07-17, 01:03 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
#1 and #6 from here - 8 stretches to improve your flexibility and cycling performance - BikeRadar USA

Quad stretch - touch your foot to your butt, grab the ankle, pull so that you feel it in your quad.

Toe touch - standing, cross your legs, try to touch toes. Take turns with which leg is crossed in front.

The last one I do is sitting on the edge of a chair, I twist my back as if trying to look behind me, and use my arm that is now in front of my legs to push the side of my knee. Sort of like a seated spinal twist, except you're sitting up instead of on the floor.

I hold each position for like 15 seconds, and do each position 2x. Takes like 10 minutes before I go to bed.

If I don't stretch I can touch like mid way down my shin. If I do stretch I can touch my ankles. I don't think I'll ever be able to touch my toes
I'll definitely start doing these. I can at least still touch my toes, but can't get my hands flat on the ground without a really long stretch.
Old 06-07-17, 01:06 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Even though you don't stretch, how is your flexibility?
Judging from the last time I attempted Yoga - below average.
Old 06-07-17, 01:14 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Maybe you're joking because you read the thread, but the guy in blue is an ex-pro and he won the race kind of puts it all in perspective.
Whaaaat!? Hahahaha that's hilarious. I guess he's just chilling out while everyone else is pushing it lol
Old 06-07-17, 01:30 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My stretching routine consists of the following (all done for 1 min. each, unless specified otherwise):

Wall press calf stretch (30s leg straight, 30s knee bent a bit)S
Standing quad stretch
Standing hip flexor stretch
Downward dog
Cat Stretch
Cobra position
Pigeon (I alternate the versions of this, sometimes head to floor, sometimes back foot pulled up)
Butterfly
One leg straight with other leg crossing and foot flat on ground and turn stretch
Hurdler stretch
Figure 4 stretch while lying on my back.
Hamstrings with a strap while lying on my back.

All in all, it takes me about 30 min. to do that each morning.
Old 06-07-17, 05:23 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
amateur
Old 06-07-17, 05:26 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
understanding of Californian's ironic adoption of tasteless objects as fashion forward. Like wearing a mullet or drinking ****ty beer in upscale joints or socialites wearing cowboy boots on Rodeo Drive.
This would have been true like 8 years ago. The posted picture along with the disquieting news that he rides the polo fields with a speaker on his bike are making me reconsider my team reconsiderations once again.
Old 06-07-17, 07:57 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Racing tomorrow but it's such a nice night I did the Weds night worlds with my teammates and it was just awesome. 48 miles @ 23+ mph average.

The best part was, about 10 miles in we reeled in a couple, a big strong guy and a girl. We told them to hop on and they did, hanging on at 24-25 mph for about 10 minutes until we passed their home, which turned out to be the giant Jehovah's Witness Watchtower Farms compound. When they peeled off we all shouted "good job!" and they shouted "you guys are super nice!"
Old 06-07-17, 08:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 3,103 Times in 1,641 Posts
My stretching routine is about as 1/2 as involved as topflight's and is absolutely necessary for me. I get back and knee problems if I stop stretching and resume my level of activity. A couple times for week I'll double down and stretch for about a half hour.

It seems like a time sink, and I guess it kinda is, but it's also calming and meditative. You can clear your mind and address problems. As I put it, I like to tell people that I spend a lot of time just "sitting on the floor"
Old 06-08-17, 05:36 AM
Ryan12
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
45 mins Daily Training is enough I think
Old 06-08-17, 06:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I should add, when I'm rushed, I cut it down a bit. That could be shortening each stretch to 30s or skipping some of them.
Old 06-08-17, 11:53 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Laid low the last few days. Legs were fine but my body was straight up wrecked from a lot of TSS that was pretty much entirely high intensity. Gonna spin around today and open back up a little I guess.
Old 06-08-17, 02:31 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have attained impeccably smooth shifting and will now continue onwards to do all the group rides in hopes of gaining back some inkling of form.

Let this picture symbolize how thoroughly my harsh shifting has been blissed out.

Old 06-08-17, 07:15 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what does proper bike maintenance have to do with training
Old 06-08-17, 07:21 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
what does proper bike maintenance have to do with training
Kinda hard to ride if your bike's FUBAR.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-08-17, 07:51 PM
aaronmcd

On my quest to get this aero thing figured out, I am again researching short cranks. All the forums make me optimistic - all the guys refusing to change have arguments either completely clueless about free body diagrams and forces, or just unwilling to do something that the almighty bike industry isn't promoting. Or they have normal proportions and already feel like they have a good aero position. And way too many people are focusing on power on these discussions. If anyone has a 165mm or shorter crankset with stages for sale Ill buy it. My guess is aero gains from a few mm shorter crank are worth much watts. But I want the same power meter so I can come to a decent conclusion.
Old 06-08-17, 08:44 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, sitting at home instead of being out training had everything to do with a non-functional drivetrain. I realized how much I have taken butter smooth shifting for granted.

50 odd miles with a few efforts either side of a group ride at recovery pace. Well, slightly more than recovery pace for me right now.
Old 06-08-17, 08:45 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Do you think ~24.5ish windless looks suspiciously slow for ~300 watts?

The things you mention - going from 95% to 97% drivetrain efficiency (40% improvement) nets about 6 watts. 18% rolling resistance improvement also about 6 watts. I don't think either of those are enough to look at the speed vs watts and be suspicious.
24.5 is what I would expect for regular kit, aero road helmet, and decently aero rims (Flo 30)

when one has a broken or shot component in the drive train, it's not going to be just 6 watts. I'd estimate a 10w penalty with shot bearings. If there's a lot of noise from your drivetrain, see if you can isolate it.

As for tires, if brand new tubulars are the reference point (Vittoria latex tube tubulars come to mind), Corsa Speed tubulars save 3W (per tire), and Corsa Speed ran tubeless will save 6W. On the other side of the spectrum, tack on 4-5W for gatorskin, and if the tire begins to be squared-off, tack on a few more watts. 15 watts due to slow tires is not trivial. They all add up.

I'm nowhere as aero as @wktmeow (assuming his power meter is reading correctly), but at 174 cm, I did 26.7mph soloing the last few laps of a crit with some really choppy pavement in warm condition on 335W. I was being extra cautious (didn't want to throw away a win by going too hot through rough corners), so perhaps 330W would have sufficed.

Recently did 25.6 mph on 293W by using all the aero equipment I could find: aero front bottle, aero helmet, H3+ trispoke with Corsa Speed tires, Bodypaint suit, and IAB for all but 5% of the course. Personally i'm not happy with this as i'd have expected faster, but so it goes

165mm cranks per se won't do much without getting a better position. You'll only be able to go up by less than 1cm anyway.
Old 06-08-17, 09:26 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by echappist
24.5 is what I would expect for regular kit, aero road helmet, and decently aero rims (Flo 30)

when one has a broken or shot component in the drive train, it's not going to be just 6 watts. I'd estimate a 10w penalty with shot bearings. If there's a lot of noise from your drivetrain, see if you can isolate it.

As for tires, if brand new tubulars are the reference point (Vittoria latex tube tubulars come to mind), Corsa Speed tubulars save 3W (per tire), and Corsa Speed ran tubeless will save 6W. On the other side of the spectrum, tack on 4-5W for gatorskin, and if the tire begins to be squared-off, tack on a few more watts. 15 watts due to slow tires is not trivial. They all add up.

I'm nowhere as aero as @wktmeow (assuming his power meter is reading correctly), but at 174 cm, I did 26.7mph soloing the last few laps of a crit with some really choppy pavement in warm condition on 335W. I was being extra cautious (didn't want to throw away a win by going too hot through rough corners), so perhaps 330W would have sufficed.

Recently did 25.6 mph on 293W by using all the aero equipment I could find: aero front bottle, aero helmet, H3+ trispoke with Corsa Speed tires, Bodypaint suit, and IAB for all but 5% of the course. Personally i'm not happy with this as i'd have expected faster, but so it goes

165mm cranks per se won't do much without getting a better position. You'll only be able to go up by less than 1cm anyway.
If cranks are .75 cm shorter, I can go up .75 cm, which puts the knees 1.5 cm lower relative to the torso, which puts the bars 2 or 3 cm lower for the same hip angle.

Also I started stretching again today. I recall doing upper 25s at sub 300 watts in a solo effort from the gun in a cat 4 early bird crit a few years ago. (2 others bridged half hour in and I got second). That was IAB tho and I was able to hold 285 or so in that position at the time.

Drivetrain is currently good. Tires are fine, I dont pay much attention to what I'm running but its always something decent but won't wear out in 400 miles.
Old 06-08-17, 10:00 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Mountain biking today. Friends MTB had a stages power meter on it that I;m suspicious of the numbers on. I'm not a very good mtber but the numbers feel low. Oh well, lol. I just MTB for fun.
Old 06-09-17, 03:37 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have a stages on my cx bike. i trust it because i train on the road with it and the numbers make perfect sense. whenever i ride trails on it, the average power numbers are always very low. whether you realize it or not you're coasting a lot when riding in the woods.
Old 06-09-17, 05:35 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Mountain biking today. Friends MTB had a stages power meter on it that I;m suspicious of the numbers on. I'm not a very good mtber but the numbers feel low. Oh well, lol. I just MTB for fun.
Totally agree with mikey on this. I had power on my MTB for a while and the numbers were always much lower than perceived effort. Some combination of coasting, spending effort getting beat up / not falling off that doesn't go into the pedals, very short muscular efforts that don't translate into sustained power readings the same way as efforts on the road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.