Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Does it matter that both feet touch the ground while over the Top Tube

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-09-18, 10:24 AM
CycleBoi

Bikes: 1985 Vintage Raleigh Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So i recently got a vintage road bike with the same height as my mountain bike, however, i did not take into account that the top tube isn't sloped. Does it completely matter to whether both feet can touch the ground over the top tube or is it okay if i can stand with one foot and the bike at an angle when stopped?
Old 04-09-18, 11:02 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
If the stand over height exceeds your legs' inseam the bike is likely a tad big for you. Can you still ride it? Of course you can, but it may not be comfortable for any length of time.
Old 04-09-18, 11:08 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
It only matters when it does, if you know what I mean.
Old 04-09-18, 11:43 AM
CycleBoi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
If the stand over height exceeds your legs' inseam the bike is likely a tad big for you. Can you still ride it? Of course you can, but it may not be comfortable for any length of time.
it doesn't really exceed it(there's just not much of a gap) and i can ride it comfortably I was just wondering if it's completely necessary cause I've seen some people say it is and some say it isn't
Old 04-09-18, 11:45 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
If you can ride it then it's fine. If you are comfortable on it, then it's a bonus. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 04-09-18, 12:12 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I never straddle the bike flat-footed. If I have to, I just tilt it over. But most often I have one foot on a pedal and one on the ground.
Old 04-09-18, 12:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
It only matters when it does, if you know what I mean.
Do go on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
high_wheelers.jpg (18.6 KB, 245 views)
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-09-18, 12:21 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Do go on
Old 04-09-18, 12:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
To spell it out very simply - if you are male and you ever have to do a very sudden stop and put both feet down without thinking, are you willing to suffer the pain and possible permanent injury that may well happen?

If you are not male or this possible outcome is an acceptable risk, ride the bike. Otherwise, reconsider your choices.

Ben
Old 04-09-18, 12:29 PM
InOmaha

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm 6'3" but have a longer upper body and relatively shorter legs to get my height. My kid is 6 ft tall and has 1 inch longer legs. If I was more proportional, I'd likely be 6'5" with longer legs. So for a bike to be comfortable when riding, I got taller frames, and adjusted peddling with crank length and seat position. That way the head tube to seat post dimension was correct and my riding was more comfortable. I stand much less then I ride, so I make the fit work for riding and track stand as much as possible. If I have to I unhook and lean to one side. I can straddle the tube but it's close and not worth the risk for a basic stop. In an emergency or a crash you may hit anything on the bike down there anyway.

Someday I'll join this century and buy a newer bike without as much of a horizontal top tube; then not care at all.
Old 04-09-18, 12:37 PM
CycleBoi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I never straddle the bike flat-footed. If I have to, I just tilt it over. But most often I have one foot on a pedal and one on the ground.
when you go flat-footed do you have clearance?
Old 04-09-18, 12:43 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by CycleBoi
when you go flat-footed do you have clearance?
If I tip the bike over far enough.
Old 04-09-18, 12:46 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
To spell it out very simply - if you are male and you ever have to do a very sudden stop and put both feet down without thinking, are you willing to suffer the pain and possible permanent injury that may well happen?

If you are not male or this possible outcome is an acceptable risk, ride the bike. Otherwise, reconsider your choices.

Ben
While it may not be as bad, I can tell you that women have told me they don't like getting whacked there either. Not one bit.
Old 04-09-18, 01:00 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
So i recently got a vintage road bike with the same height as my mountain bike, however, i did not take into account that the top tube isn't sloped. Does it completely matter to whether both feet can touch the ground over the top tube or is it okay if i can stand with one foot and the bike at an angle when stopped?
\
As long as you don't come to a sudden stop and have to put both your feet down at once, it's not a big deal. It may be ungainly at first, but, as long as it fits when you're in the saddle, it shouldn't be a big deal 98% of the time. That other 2% (actual percentages may vary) may or may not be important enough to you for you to want a different bike. I'm just about at that point and don't mind it.
Old 04-09-18, 01:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
What it means is that the bike is too big for you. Not just the standover but the length from the saddle top tube to the crank and, perhaps more importantly, the top tube length. You are stretching too far forward. Having to reach too far for the bars will also put more pressure on your delicate bits while riding. The overall effect is that you won't be as comfortable as you can be with a properly sized bike.

Can you adapt? Probably but you'll be surprised at how well a bike fits that is the proper size. In fact, it can take a lifetime to readjust. My wife "adapted" to a bike with 27" wheels as a kid (that's probably a 23" or 58 cm frame). She's only 5' tall and had to do the lean thing to get on and off the bike. It took years for me to convince her that that sized bike was way too big and we had to step down her bike to current 43cm frame over nearly 3 decades before she finally had to admit that the smaller bike is actually much better suited to her.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-09-18, 02:44 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
it doesn't really exceed it(there's just not much of a gap) and i can ride it comfortably I was just wondering if it's completely necessary cause I've seen some people say it is and some say it isn't
Can you pull the bike up a bit while straddling it? if yes, don;t worry about it. As long as you are able to get the seat height correct for you, and the handlebars where you want them, it is okay.
Old 04-10-18, 09:34 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Older bikes just had flat/higher top tubes than modern bikes. It's only somewhat recent that seat tubes started sticking up a foot above the top tube so you could actually stand over it without racking yourself. You probably fit the frame just fine, it was designed to fit somebody sitting on the seat without too much care if you could stand over it. I wouldn't worry to much about it, will probably only take one or two incidents before you figure out how to be safe.
Old 04-12-18, 10:08 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
I have short legs for my height, so I nearly always ride bikes with little to no clearance between crotch and top tube when standing.

Sorry to disagree, but to me the concern expressed by 79pmooney is overblown. It assumes that you come to a sudden stop and put both feet down flat on the ground with your legs fully extended, and that if there's a gap between crotch and top tube then you're OK, vs if there is little to no gap then you get a top tube in the 'nads. I've been riding for more than 40 years, and this has never happened. The only times I've banged my crotch on the top tube have been when my feet slipped off the pedals, and the difference between 4 cm clearance and 0 cm would have made no difference. (In fact, all of those incidents were when I was a kid riding a banana seat bike with far more top tube clearance than you have on a road bike).

So, as far as I'm concerned, if you can ride the bike comfortably, go ahead.

------------
Old 04-12-18, 10:54 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ITA with @noimagination

i have short legs and a high top tube now and a sloped top tube before. i have crashed into the top tube on both bikes for short stops or unexpected balance or something - and it didn't matter a bit that the top tube was sloped vs not. to avoid crashing into the top tube, it just matters to stop predictably each time - lean to one side when stopping to place a foot down, the other foot on the pedal.

the top tube may be a big deal for new riders where crashes/falls into the top tube might happen more often. but for experienced riders, regardless of the incident you'll either avoid it or not depending on the specific circumstance.
Old 04-12-18, 12:48 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I have short legs for my height, so I nearly always ride bikes with little to no clearance between crotch and top tube when standing.

Sorry to disagree, but to me the concern expressed by 79pmooney is overblown. It assumes that you come to a sudden stop and put both feet down flat on the ground with your legs fully extended, and that if there's a gap between crotch and top tube then you're OK, vs if there is little to no gap then you get a top tube in the 'nads. I've been riding for more than 40 years, and this has never happened. The only times I've banged my crotch on the top tube have been when my feet slipped off the pedals, and the difference between 4 cm clearance and 0 cm would have made no difference. (In fact, all of those incidents were when I was a kid riding a banana seat bike with far more top tube clearance than you have on a road bike).

So, as far as I'm concerned, if you can ride the bike comfortably, go ahead.

------------
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
ITA with @noimagination

i have short legs and a high top tube now and a sloped top tube before. i have crashed into the top tube on both bikes for short stops or unexpected balance or something - and it didn't matter a bit that the top tube was sloped vs not. to avoid crashing into the top tube, it just matters to stop predictably each time - lean to one side when stopping to place a foot down, the other foot on the pedal.

the top tube may be a big deal for new riders where crashes/falls into the top tube might happen more often. but for experienced riders, regardless of the incident you'll either avoid it or not depending on the specific circumstance.
It's kind of like toe overlap with the front wheel. It seems like it should be important on first thought, but it almost never is an issue in real life.
Old 04-12-18, 12:58 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
the solution:

Old 04-12-18, 01:03 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by himespau
it's kind of like toe overlap with the front wheel. It seems like it should be important on first thought, but it almost never is an issue in real life.
+1
Old 04-12-18, 01:26 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes agree with @himespau (i have toe overlap, used to not have toe overlap - and it doesn't matter)
Old 04-13-18, 10:09 PM
yves845

Bikes: Santos travelmaster2.8 ; Brompton titanium ; R&M Load speed

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
To make it simple : if your inner bones are touching the top tube when standing on your 2 feets you're at risk of a pubic bone fracture and it's simply dangerous, period.
It's your health so do as you want anyway
Old 04-13-18, 10:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
the solution:

I think those are the biggest brake pads I’ve ever seen
Genesis 49:16-17

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.