Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What cycling brain farts have you done lately?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What cycling brain farts have you done lately?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-24, 12:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,656 Times in 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
Just got 'round to beginning lacing hubs to rims (sourced used) for a pair of clinchers for my road bike. I'm a first-timer with this endeavor.

Ordered nipples & spokes early in January, then illness intervened until recently.

Seems my math skills aren't up to snuff... those spokes are too short by more than a mm or ten for my use. No Returns or Exchanges prominently displayed on sources web pages.

Expensive lesson.
Bad news bears on that one.

Old 03-11-24, 11:18 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Drove all the way to work Friday 'cause it was raining that morning. Brought my bike because it rarely rains all day. After work went for a ride, ate at a fast food joint then rode to the park n ride. For about 5 secs I was wondering what happened to my pickup..

Then it dawned on me. DOH!

The extra 5 mi back to work weren't bad.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 03-11-24, 12:20 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 176 Posts
I locked my bike recently and ran the cable incorrectly - didn't lock anything except my helmet.
​​​​​​
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 03-11-24, 03:00 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I locked my bike recently and ran the cable incorrectly - didn't lock anything except my helmet.
​​​​​​
Nobody was making off with that helmet!

That's kind of adorable and utterly relatable. Bet I've done it but never realized it.
Old 03-11-24, 10:42 PM
marko_1111

Bikes: several. all favorites.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I'm sure I put them somewhere special, so I wouldn't lose them.
This, for sure, so many times. So many

Lots of similar experiences. I guess my favorites other than the 'timber' thing - whether clipped or clipless - are missing a roller installing a chain and the rolling the bike and passing it from one hand to the other, except when you don't

So yeah a couple or so years ago I take off from the house in a hurry to get up and down my daily and I'd hooked my helmet over the bars and was riding through the neighborhood putting on my gloves and shades and not paying attention to a pothole that hadn't moved for years and years and when I hit it my helmet went flying through the air and bounced all over, so of course I'm a little embarrassed and laughing and screech to a halt just in time to see an older couple who witnessed the whole ridiculous event - much older than I am anyway - on a walk and I see the expression of horror on their faces after I chose to shout, 'Good thing my head wasn't in there!'. That was a proud moment

And then there's yesterday, after seeing an optometrist over the weekend to get new contact lenses for riding, I magically found a box of 90 lenses in a very safe place

Last edited by marko_1111; 03-11-24 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling, naturally, on a thread like this
Likes For marko_1111:
Old 03-12-24, 01:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
Originally Posted by marko_1111
And then there's yesterday, after seeing an optometrist over the weekend to get new contact lenses for riding, I magically found a box of 90 lenses in a very safe place
Appears it's always the last place you look.
Old 03-18-24, 10:09 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
I went to the first organized ride of the year in my area {LINK}* and left my water bottles and protein bar at the door back at my house.

Lucky for me I carry a bottle of water in the car that happens to fit a bottle cage, so that when I got to the event, I just had to use a non-bike-specific water bottle. The first leg of the ride was 19 miles, and the second leg was 21 miles, so I could have re-hydrated at the rest stop.

It seems like it's always SOMETHING I'm forgetting. One time a helmet. One time shoes. many times the chest strap. I need some kind of system; maybe just a checklist taped to the rack in the garage near my road bike... By the time I get home from work today, I will have forgotten it, so I'll forget something again next time.

* This was a really well-run low-budget ride. $10, and free for kids. It started from a high school and they have one of those water fountains with a water bottle refiller, so no one had to finance water. (except the high school!) All the support staff were volunteers; must be a great club! The food was cookies and pastries that were baked by club members or their wives. The starting point was also the only rest stop; rides were organized radially outward from there. The sag vehicle was just a handy club member with a van.
Old 04-01-24, 07:58 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 176 Posts
Yesterday I was installing a SRAM quick link on my son's bike (because I already snapped a Shimano one in another brain fart). As I'm pulling the ends together, the derailleur spring overpowers my grip, the chain comes apart, and I hear half of the quick link landing somewhere in the next room.
Old 04-01-24, 08:11 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
I went out for a metric century yesterday morning. Temp at departure time was 35 °F. (1.7 °C) I forgot my neoprene booties and so my toes were numb from cold within 20 minutes.
After a brunch stop, it had warmed up enough that the piggies were just cold.
I won't soon forget those again.
Old 04-02-24, 08:29 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Left the water bottle in the freezer after I had left the house. Reached down for it about 20 minutes into my ride and noticed it wasn't there. Then I remembered. It's in the freezer!
Old 04-02-24, 01:40 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 448 Posts
Fixed a flat tire - by tightening the valve core.

My old-style 7-speed chain with no master link came out of the RD pretzel-shaped. Logic says it should go back in...
Old 04-09-24, 09:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
1. This past weekend, I spent what felt like a couple of hours to line up my STI levers just right on my new handlebar.
2. Earlier this evening, I ruined a couple of sections of brake housing trying to route it through the channel within my new handlebar.
3. Conclusion: I should have routed the cables and housings through the handlebar channels before positioning the STI levers.
Old 04-10-24, 06:04 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
I did this a few months ago but just remembered doing it. I ran a new shift cable through a new housing. I then figured out what length I wanted to cut the housing, cut it and with it the new new cable. I spaced and did things backwards so the cable was already in the housing when I cut it. Cable ain't exactly useful when it ends at the same point as the housing.
Old 04-10-24, 06:31 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Got my frame back from powder-coating. In putting it together, I got to the shifters. Down tube, of course, since the frame was built in 1973. Thought I tightened it fine. I installed and adjusted the front der. It didn't shift right. I readjusted. It didn't shift right. After a couple more iterations, I realized the shifters weren't tight. After each attempt at adjusting the front der, the shifters shifted down the DT, scratching it. I scratched my renewed frame before I had a chance to ride it. ;-(
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-11-24, 04:16 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 135 Posts
I may need a checklist since I keep forgetting things, especially when switching from bike to bike. The last ride I only forgot headphones, however, wasn't too bored.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 04-11-24, 05:37 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 414 Posts
I installed a headset upside down a couple months ago. Bad things happen when you don’t read the instructions.
Old 04-11-24, 01:31 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Proceeded to cut through an old wad of duct tape that was on my chain stay to support my kick stand. Was just about through it when the scissors slipped and nearly took my thumb off. Thankfully acute care was only 1/2 mile away.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 04-12-24, 09:40 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Met a friend in the parking lot of where we were beginning our ride. Took the bike out of the back of my truck, put my helmet in the truck bed, got my water bottle out of the cab and put it on the bike, and started to ride. At which point, my friend asked "aren't you going to wear your helmet?"
Likes For freeranger:
Old 04-12-24, 09:49 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Wondering why my bike feels so agile at the beginning of a ride until I realize I have left my bottles behind.
Old 04-12-24, 09:51 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Met a friend in the parking lot of where we were beginning our ride. Took the bike out of the back of my truck, put my helmet in the truck bed, got my water bottle out of the cab and put it on the bike, and started to ride. At which point, my friend asked "aren't you going to wear your helmet?"
You were just caught up in the excitement and anticipation of the coming ride. Little kids do that all the time.....
Old 04-12-24, 09:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Wondering why my bike feels so agile at the beginning of a ride until I realize I have left my bottles behind.
Mine didn’t feel agile, but the bottles were accidentally left on the kitchen counter. It was a good excuse to make a few water stops along the ride though.

Old 04-12-24, 10:00 PM
Jameth

Bikes: 2012 Gary Fisher Simple City 3, 2015 Raleigh Back Alley

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
The only one I've been making lately (and again today) is to leave my headlight at home on the charger only to realize when I'm several miles into my 17 mile commute that I'll be riding home blind. I'm this close to switching to dynamo lights.
Likes For Jameth:
Old 04-12-24, 11:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by rsbob
Mine didn’t feel agile, but the bottles were accidentally left on the kitchen counter. It was a good excuse to make a few water stops along the ride though.
Unfortunately, there is no water stop at the top of any of the climbs on the route of my go to ride. Otherwise, I would only bring a single small bottle.

I usually ride with two Polar (20 fl. oz.) bottles at 82 g each; that is 164 g. They each hold 600 mL, so call that another 1,200 g. 1,364 g = 3 lbs. 3 lbs. on an 18 lbs. bike is quite noticeable.
Old 04-12-24, 11:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Unfortunately, there is no water stop at the top of any of the climbs on the route of my go to ride. Otherwise, I would only bring a single small bottle.

I usually ride with two Polar (20 fl. oz.) bottles at 82 g each; that is 164 g. They each hold 600 mL, so call that another 1,200 g. 1,364 g = 3 lbs. 3 lbs. on an 18 lbs. bike is quite noticeable.
Small world, but my ride without bottles weighs 20 lbs. Maybe it’s my 168 lbs that keeps me from feeling a spritely bike.

Old 04-13-24, 02:06 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
2 rides in one day. 1/3 of the way into the second ride I felt the quad cramping up and I had no food like a bozo. Then didn't even stop to get some food, and the other one was going too.
sigh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.