Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

new to tri - need advice on shoes/pedals

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 07:14 PM
bootstitus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to buy clipless pedals and shoes for my road bike. I am new to cycling (and not very comfortable on my bike at this point), and am concerned that I won't be able to master the shoes already being clipped into the pedals during T1.

With that in mind, what would be the best pedal/shoe/cleat system to use for having to run to the mount line in my shoes & cleats. I don't really want to get MTB shoes with recessed cleats, so which cleats other than those are the "friendliest" to walk/run in.... as well as the cheapest to replace if damaged by doing so.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-04-09, 09:10 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Shimano SPD-SL pedals. It takes some concentration to run in the cleats through the transition area, but it's not bad.
Old 03-04-09, 10:40 PM
PistaRider311

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Schwinn Varsity (fixed), Mongoose Dirt Jumper.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Speedplayson my bike, and if any of you guys have them, you know the clips on the bottom of the shoes are horrible for walking/running in. It hasn't become an issue for for me, and I wouldn't worry too much about pedal/clip choice, you only have to run in them for ~30 seconds.
Old 03-05-09, 09:28 AM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All road shoes are going to be difficult to run in and it's only compounded by the presence of the cleat. The question is, how willing are you to "beat" on the shoes/cleats by actually trying to run or simply waddle or walk carefully to the mounting line?

That being said, most shoes are going to be the same though i'd probably recommend against something with exposed carbon fiber on the bottom. However, the Lake CX125 is a road shoe that accepts both 2 and 3 hole cleats and has nice big treads at the heel and toe to accomodate walking and protect the cleats. They're popular with touring and commuting cyclists or any other cyclists that want a decently walkable shoe that accepts 3 hole cleats.

https://www.lakecycling.com/cx125-p-97.html

As for pedal choice, almost every cleat is going to get beat up from stomping around. Most companies have some sort of cleat cover which is great for hanging around the coffee shop but worthless for running around the transition area. You might want to look at Crankbrother Quattro pedals though. The brass cleats are surrounded by a plastic U-shaped pad that protects the cleat and prevents the brass portion (the part that actually attaches to the pedal) from ever touching the ground unless the plastic gets worn down from lots of walking or you step on some rocks. However, it's rumored that Crankbrothers will be discontuning production of the Quattro pedals sometime soon... But the good thing is that nearly all their pedals and cleats are interchangable.

https://crankbrothers.com/quattro.php

Then again, as previously stated, you're only going to be walking for about 30 seconds before you get on your bike. If you wanna go elite style, your shoes will be attached to the pedals and you'll be running barefoot instead.

[i use some Cannondale MTB shoes with Crankbrothers Smarty pedals, easy to "run" in and pass people on the way to the mounting line]

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 03-05-09, 09:41 AM
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psydotek
You might want to look at Crankbrother Quattro pedals though. The brass cleats are surrounded by a plastic U-shaped pad that protects the cleat and prevents the brass portion (the part that actually attaches to the pedal) from ever touching the ground unless the plastic gets worn down from lots of walking or you step on some rocks. However, it's rumored that Crankbrothers will be discontuning production of the Quattro pedals sometime soon... But the good thing is that nearly all their pedals and cleats are interchangable.

https://crankbrothers.com/quattro.php
I have the Quattros - and while I don't love them on the bike, I love that they are (relatively) easy to walk in off the bike.
Old 03-06-09, 01:29 AM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
avoid the mountain pedals if you're a beginner, they hurt in the long run. i like the look keo's if you can find them. Plus if you can the pro triathletes take thier shoes off and leave them in the clips while they are riding.