Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Triathlons and Prescription Glasses

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 10:01 AM
Shantar42
Novara Element

Bikes: Fuji Finest 2.0 Women's Road bike, Novara Element Cyclocross bike, Catrike 700, Challenge Hurricane SL, Rowbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all! I'm new to the Triatlon seen and am doing my first sprint at the end of April. I wear Prescription glasses and will be doing a pool swim. Do you all just keep your glasses by your bike and pick them up at T1. I'm worried about seeing where i'm going from the pool to my bike and then i'm also worried about them falling off while i'm running. Any advice as to what y'all do with your glasses? Thanks.
Old 03-16-09, 10:20 AM
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear contacts.

However, the volunteers counting your laps are generally very helpful & friendly. Ask if you can leave your glasses with them, or under one of their chairs. I bet they'll have them ready to hand to you when you get out of the pool.
Old 03-16-09, 12:51 PM
Shantar42
Novara Element

Bikes: Fuji Finest 2.0 Women's Road bike, Novara Element Cyclocross bike, Catrike 700, Challenge Hurricane SL, Rowbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you swim with contacts? Does the suction of the swim goggles pull them out? I had contacts one time, but because i''ve been wearing glasses for almost 30 years I felt naked without them and stopped wearing contacts. Thanks!
Old 03-16-09, 12:55 PM
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swim with my contacts all the time. I've only ever lost one once, and that was while I was white water rafting (a wave hit me).

I'd practice ahead of time. If you're not comfortable with the contacts in - it will be one more thing to worry about - when there are better things to be worried about.

An open water swim might be more difficult - but a pool swim should be no problem glasses free.
Old 03-16-09, 01:15 PM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just keep my glasses by my bicycle. Your vision can't be that bad that you can't at least generally see where you're going can it? I'm pretty nearsighted myself but i can see well enough for swimming and getting through T1.

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 03-17-09, 08:57 AM
roadie gal
Out the door

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep a "glasses keeper" like Chums or some other strap on my glasses so they don't fall off. The glasses stay in my bike helmet while I swim.

Can you get some goggles with corrective lenses for the swim? The ones I've seen online aren't that expensive.
Old 03-17-09, 09:21 AM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure it will be easy for a pool swim, they probably have something worked out. It's a huge production at IM races, they have people assigned to keeping your glasses and they hand them to you coming out of the water.

I would be in the same boat as you if I didn't wear contacts...20/400!! Psydotek, believe it or not I would probably not be able to find my bike without correction. I have to get within 20 feet of something to see it as well as you see it from 400.

Shantar, I swim with my contacts all of the time. I use an AquaSphere Seal Mask https://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1426.htm They are somewhat larger than normal goggles but they fit well. I find that the smaller goggles feel like they are going to pop my lenses out of my eyes.
Old 03-19-09, 11:26 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
same boat, 20/-400
i like oakley glasses/googles, they are pretty good about staying on when fitted right. i hate contacts lenses
Old 03-20-09, 09:02 AM
markg

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Team, Cervelo P3C, Ritchey Breakaway Cross

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear contacts. Never had a problem with them coming out, even during oceans swim at La Jolla Cove. I use Aqua Sphere goggles.
Old 04-02-09, 11:50 AM
killie42

Bikes: trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can totally swim without contacts, though its not as fun and easy. My advice is to count the number of stands from the pool to your bike, or remember some other nonreading way of figuring out where your bike is after you swim.
Old 04-02-09, 02:40 PM
Dwayne1

Bikes: Cannondale SR, Mountin bike daily beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My scrip is .400 x .425 so I'm about blind as a bat with out my glasses, I hang my bike by the handle bars and put my helmet upside down on my aero bars and put my glasses in the helmet I then drape a red towel over my seat and rear wheel so I can see it when I'm running by the stands, hope this helps.
Dwayne