Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I want to get into biking, what kind of bike should I buy?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I want to get into biking, what kind of bike should I buy?

Old 09-05-15, 06:48 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
He's very happy with the 7.2. When I test rode the two bikes, I liked the way the 7.3 shifted better, liked that it was a tad lighter, and preferred the Iso grips on the 7.3. This was comparing '14 models.
Old 09-05-15, 09:32 PM
mcmoose

BTW, there's an Official Trek FX thread in the Hybrid Forum if you'd like extensive (endless?) discussion of the merits of the various FX models.
Old 09-06-15, 09:39 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chris87

So for now I think I'm going to go back on Wednesday and test ride the 7.2. Do you guys think there is a huge difference between the 7.2 and 7.3, would it be worth it to spend the extra $170 to get it?
These reviewers didn't feel the 7.3 was worth the extra money over the 7.2. I found this article back when I was looking at hybrids for my first bike. I almost went for the 7.2.

The Best Hybrid Bike | The Sweethome

I'm looking at adventure road bikes for my next bike because I want the variety of hand positions and the option of leaning forward into a more "aero" position when encountering headwinds. I start to feel the hand fatigue from having only one position about half way into my 12-13 mile commute ride - I usually cope with shaking my hands and leaning back a bit to stretch them.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 09-06-15 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-10-15, 05:01 PM
chris87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to get the Trek FX 7.3. I don't have it yet because they need to order the color I want. I test rode both the 7.2 and 7.3 several times. They were almost identical, but I think the 7.3 shifted a lot smoother. It also has the blender stem to mount a computer, which I like as the computer is much more integrated with the bike. I decided to get a computer too, as I want to use the bike for fitness and it will help me a lot with that.
Old 09-10-15, 05:32 PM
mcmoose

Congrats on your purchase. Hope it arrives soon and is a heap of fun!
Old 09-11-15, 12:24 AM
waterfish_21

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to get the Trek FX 7.3. I don't have it yet because they need to order the color I want. I test rode both the 7.2 and 7.3 several times. They were almost identical, but I think the 7.3 shifted a lot smoother. It also has the blender stem to mount a computer, which I like as the computer is much more integrated with the bike. I decided to get a computer too, as I want to use the bike for fitness and it will help me a lot with that.
Congrats on your new bike! I believe the 7.3fx also has interior cable routing for a sleeker look vs the 7.2. I was stuck between the 8.3ds and 7.3 fx on my first bike earlier this year but I ended up with a 7.2 fx. Kind of regret it though, wish I would of bought the 8.3 DS because now I just bought the emonda s4 . Lost over 60lbs over the summer biking over 1300 miles, combined with diet and weight lifting. Beware though, you're probably going to fall in love with biking all over again and you're gonna ditch your hybrid eventually like most of us. But it's a great entry bike to test the waters of what your looking to do. And it's still a great bike to use for exercise and commuting regardless.
Old 10-04-15, 08:24 PM
JACECOS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi bikers! A question, which is better to buy? Giant escape 2 2016 or fuji absolute 1.7 2014? The two for similar price thanks
Old 10-06-15, 09:49 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
So at this point I'm not really sure what to get. Should I get a mountain bike or a hybrid (or another bike other than that)? Also, what price range should I be realistically looking at? I don't want to be competitive, or a pro or anything, I just want something that will be durable and reliable with minimal maintenance.
Recreational cyclocross. Drop bars for comfort on road rides, 700c rims which take the fastest tires.