Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bottecchia Unica Claris ?? Am I making a Noob mistake again?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bottecchia Unica Claris ?? Am I making a Noob mistake again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 10:48 AM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to suggest going to a Performance shop, so you could try the bikes, shoes, etc.
Nashbar has a great return policy, but you have to pay for return shipping on exchanges, etc.
Good luck with everything.

S
Old 10-05-15, 11:46 AM
StricklandM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to suggest going to a Performance shop, so you could try the bikes, shoes, etc.
I went to my LBS and was measured for a Specailized Allez and a Raleigh Ren., both were respectably 60 and 61cm. I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam to be exact. Reading the AL1 reviews it seems that the frame runs on the compact smaller side of the spectrum. I ordered a 60cm as that was the largest they offer.

Do you think even with insight as they run on the smaller side that I should go with the 58cm for any reason?

I called NashBar and they stated that my estimate of 60cm was dead on.....and confirmed that the completed build weight with the pedals I ordered would be around 19.02lbs..... so freaking excited lol. the GMC was 32lbs with no gear on the bike......NOTHING!
Old 10-05-15, 12:00 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I would go with shimano R-540 pedals over the nashbar brand for only $10 more. Easier to get cleats when it comes time, and the cleats are easier to walk on
Old 10-05-15, 12:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
You made the right choice, IMO. That seems like an excellent bike for the price and there is nothing about it that will slow you down when riding with your friends. Enjoy it!
Old 10-05-15, 12:53 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trainsktg
One of my bikes is a 2014 Giant Defy 5 with a Claris group set. It's given me 3,000 miles of reliable shifting over this last year. I have been very happy with Claris.

Keith
+1 There are many good bikes built around the Claris groupset. The giant Defy 5 is one that you can get at an LBS. 2014 and 2015 models can be had for $500 but not in all sizes of course.

If you can't find one of those than BikesDirect has the Dawes Lightening DLX with that groupset for $400 delivered. See my earlier review. It's given me 3000 miles with just a few small problems I easily fixed.

But I would try to get the Giant Defy 5 first so you have some resale value if needed.
Old 10-05-15, 01:31 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StricklandM
I went to my LBS and was measured for a Specailized Allez and a Raleigh Ren., both were respectably 60 and 61cm. I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam to be exact. Reading the AL1 reviews it seems that the frame runs on the compact smaller side of the spectrum. I ordered a 60cm as that was the largest they offer.

Do you think even with insight as they run on the smaller side that I should go with the 58cm for any reason?

I called NashBar and they stated that my estimate of 60cm was dead on.....and confirmed that the completed build weight with the pedals I ordered would be around 19.02lbs..... so freaking excited lol. the GMC was 32lbs with no gear on the bike......NOTHING!

I'm assuming you mean 61 Allez because that bike doesn't come in a 60. Nashbar doesn't give a lot of geometry details but from what they do, the size 60 AL1 looks closer to a Allez size 58 than the 61. But It should be be fine for you. I am 5'10.5" and ride a 54 so at 6'2" the AL1 60 definitely won't be too small. The AL1 does run a little small, for example I would probably need a 56 even though I can ride 54 in most other brands. Sizing will never be perfect unless you buy custom made bike but you should be able to get that 60 dialed in nicely with proper saddle height and fore/aft adjustment and possible stem swap
Old 10-05-15, 01:33 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
+1 There are many good bikes built around the Claris groupset. The giant Defy 5 is one that you can get at an LBS. 2014 and 2015 models can be had for $500 but not in all sizes of course.

If you can't find one of those than BikesDirect has the Dawes Lightening DLX with that groupset for $400 delivered. See my earlier review. It's given me 3000 miles with just a few small problems I easily fixed.

But I would try to get the Giant Defy 5 first so you have some resale value if needed.
OP seems like he's buying with the plan on keeping that bike for a long time. Regardless, I wouldn't buy a bike based on perceived resale value. Thirdly, he paid around $400 and probably wouldn't have a problem getting $250-300 back in a year or two if he decides to upgrade
Old 10-05-15, 01:55 PM
StricklandM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I'm assuming you mean 61 Allez because that bike doesn't come in a 60. Nashbar doesn't give a lot of geometry details but from what they do, the size 60 AL1 looks closer to a Allez size 58 than the 61. But It should be be fine for you. I am 5'10.5" and ride a 54 so at 6'2" the AL1 60 definitely won't be too small. The AL1 does run a little small, for example I would probably need a 56 even though I can ride 54 in most other brands. Sizing will never be perfect unless you buy custom made bike but you should be able to get that 60 dialed in nicely with proper saddle height and fore/aft adjustment and possible stem swap
You are correct in that the Allez was 61cm....I transposed the two in the post.
Old 10-05-15, 02:03 PM
StricklandM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP seems like he's buying with the plan on keeping that bike for a long time. Regardless, I wouldn't buy a bike based on perceived resale value. Thirdly, he paid around $400 and probably wouldn't have a problem getting $250-300 back in a year or two if he decides to upgrade
I am looking foward to the NashBar Bike and hope it will serve me for years to come. I am a firm believer that fitness trumps equipment in everything I do. That being said a close inspection of the frame when it gets here and some riding will determine whats what with the bike.

Thank you for your input and suggestion but it was out of my range $$ wise. I'm committed to a $15,000 remodel of our home currently. This bike is my way to stay fit, focused and sane..lol
Old 10-07-15, 08:49 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You did really well. That is a great entry into the sport. I hope that you enjoy riding as it can be a fun sport.
Old 10-07-15, 09:51 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39
I would go with the Tiagra one. It is only 250.00 more and you get a decent groupset instead of an entry level one. That will increase the resell value down the road when you want to upgrade.

4 minutes too late LOL
\

Seriously, I doubt that anyone could tell the difference between Claris and Tiagra....and as far as resale value, it isn't goin to make a dime's difference- anything below 105 will pretty much get lumped in the same basket. He certainly wouldn't get the extra $250 back if he were to sell it- maybe $50.... I wouldn't pay $250 more just to have Tiagra..... I used to ride 2300 on my first road bike, and it worked flawlessly.
Old 10-07-15, 10:07 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

You made a good choice. Solid bike at a great price.

As for the sub-20lb quote... I would bet money that you will not be under 20lbs.
Old 10-07-15, 10:13 AM
StricklandM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy

As for the sub-20lb quote... I would bet money that you will not be under 20lbs.
\

This is the same thing I'm thinking. The bike comes with no pedals so that might be a lb. but I doubt its going under 20 even without the pedals.
Old 10-07-15, 12:48 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Yep. Generally, a generic (i.e. not high-end) AL bike with carbon fork and Claris usually runs in the 23-24 lb. range- which is still head-and-shoulders better than a Denali. (For comparison, My AL Klein with CF fork and Dura Ace weighs 19 lbs. -and that's a bike that cost $2300 in 1997 $) -$400 bike at 20 lbs? Ain't gonna happen!
Old 10-07-15, 01:05 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Yep. Generally, a generic (i.e. not high-end) AL bike with carbon fork and Claris usually runs in the 23-24 lb. range- which is still head-and-shoulders better than a Denali. (For comparison, My AL Klein with CF fork and Dura Ace weighs 19 lbs. -and that's a bike that cost $2300 in 1997 $) -$400 bike at 20 lbs? Ain't gonna happen!
Well things are lighter than in 97. New CAAD12 with 105 is 17.75 lbs. Also the bike the OP bought is Sora not Claris (not that it makes much difference in weight). I do agree sub 20lb is unlikely with the stock bike but like you said it should be worlds better than the Denali in every way not just weight
Old 10-07-15, 01:37 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Well things are lighter than in 97. New CAAD12 with 105 is 17.75 lbs. Also the bike the OP bought is Sora not Claris (not that it makes much difference in weight). I do agree sub 20lb is unlikely with the stock bike but like you said it should be worlds better than the Denali in every way not just weight
It will be worlds better in every aspect other than the square tapered BB.

This is why I'd bet money on it being over 20lbs. The square tapered BB that many price point bikes come with weighs more than your newest frame (not really, but close).

Unless the Nashbike comes with carbon tubulars, I'd guess 22 would be the number.

None of this takes away from his bike of course, I was just pointing out that the Nashbar guy said 19lbs, and he's full of it.

Also, the 105 CAAD 12 costs three times what the OP paid. Yes bikes are lighter than 1997, but the light bikes still lighten a wallet.
Old 10-07-15, 04:32 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, that's pretty impressive for the CAAD12- I wonder if it's true; if it'll actually weigh that in real life?[and not ther clown version ] Half the freakin' carbon bikes out there weigh more that....

This is why I'd bet money on it being over 20lbs. The square tapered BB that many price point bikes come with weighs more than your newest frame (not really, but close).

Unless the Nashbike comes with carbon tubulars, I'd guess 22 would be the number.

None of this takes away from his bike of course, I was just pointing out that the Nashbar guy said 19lbs, and he's full of it.

Also, the 105 CAAD 12 costs three times what the OP paid. Yes bikes are lighter than 1997, but the light bikes still lighten a wallet.
Awww, nothing wrong with a square-taper BB. I'd rather take the slight hit on weight and have square-taper, than the darn press-fit that ya always have to mess with, 'cause they start creaking....
Old 10-07-15, 05:20 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Wow, that's pretty impressive for the CAAD12- I wonder if it's true; if it'll actually weigh that in real life?[and not ther clown version ] Half the freakin' carbon bikes out there weigh more that....

Awww, nothing wrong with a square-taper BB. I'd rather take the slight hit on weight and have square-taper, than the darn press-fit that ya always have to mess with, 'cause they start creaking....
The weight comes from Bikeradar. I'm pretty sure they weigh the bikes themselves

Cannondale CAAD12 2016 - first look - BikeRadar USA
Old 10-07-15, 11:06 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The weight comes from Bikeradar. I'm pretty sure they weigh the bikes themselves

Cannondale CAAD12 2016 - first look - BikeRadar USA
Wow... That's definitely got to be one of the best bicycle values around!
Old 10-08-15, 09:41 PM
StricklandM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hit it right on the head 69Chevy...22.3lbs with the pedals...still not bad and seeing as I was pushing 33.4 around its a world of difference. I do feel that the pedals have made vast difference in power transfer to the bike, i can now feel that my upstroke is helping the oppisite downstroke and the other way around.
Old 10-08-15, 10:41 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Ride it like you stole it! (Can you say that to a cop?)

And post pics!
Old 10-08-15, 10:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
"Mekk Pinerolo" really? That's pretty shameless
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-08-15, 11:00 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
"Mekk Pinerolo" really? That's pretty shameless
Almost as bad as Specialized Roubaix

Not to mention it's Pinerolo not Pinarello and it's designed in Italy so I don't see the problem

Last edited by rms13; 10-08-15 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 10:29 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Hit it right on the head 69Chevy...22.3lbs with the pedals...still not bad and seeing as I was pushing 33.4 around its a world of difference. I do feel that the pedals have made vast difference in power transfer to the bike, i can now feel that my upstroke is helping the oppisite downstroke and the other way around.
Not bad at all. That's right around the weight of most affordable alloy bikes with decent groupsets. For the money, you got a very nice bike.

Congrats, and enjoy it!
Old 10-09-15, 05:29 PM
StricklandM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i took a pic with my phone...but the uploader says it's to big...how is that even possible?...lol