Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

first road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

first road bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 03:08 PM
gc87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first road bike

Hello,
I am new to the forum and I want to buy my first road bike.
On craiglist I found two bikes that seem good deals, but they are pretty different so I'd like some advice.
One is a Klein Quantum, I believe 1990, with Dura-Ace components.
The other one is a Raleigh Revenio Carbon 2.0 from 2 years ago. This has Sora components but it is a newer bike and it is 50$ more expensive. I am a bit worried because I found people saying that the Sora brakes are not really good and feel unsafe.
I would you the bike for commuting and weekend bike rides.
Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-15, 03:11 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
First thing is to make sure they are the right size.
Old 11-30-15, 03:13 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I go with the Raleigh if given the choice.

Have you compared the gear range on both. I'm guessing that the Klein has a traditional 53/39 w/ 12/24 in back, something like that. The Raleigh? Wider gearing, compact rings (50/34), and maybe 10 speeds.

On the other hand, if you are going retro with your "look", the Quantum will serve you well.

All advice is given with the expressed understanding that the bikes you mention actually fit you.
Old 11-30-15, 03:18 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by gc87
I am a bit worried because I found people saying that the Sora brakes are not really good and feel unsafe.
So who is saying that? There's nothing wrong with any Sora brakes, as long as they are setup correctly, and that goes for most brakes.

For the bikes your looking at, as #PepeM says, fit is the first thing, after that, 2 year old Sora parts are probably going to be much less used than a 25 year old bike with Dura Ace (if the bike has been used, the original parts should have long been worn out by now)
Old 11-30-15, 06:15 PM
elboGreaze
carpe diem

Bikes: CAAD 9 , Schwinn World, Prologue, Madison , Sports Tourer ; Ironman , Opus lll , Allez , Peugeot 753, Trek 531 (2) , Assenmacher ( custom)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the Raleigh you are looking at has 9 speed Sora , it may be the aluminum framed bike w/ a carbon fork ( Bikepedia.com) . The Carbon framed bike has 105 10 speed .
Old 11-30-15, 07:50 PM
gc87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice!
Both bikes fit me, and the Raleigh is the 9 speed Sora with aluminum frame and carbon fork
Old 11-30-15, 08:14 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gc87
Thanks for the advice!
Both bikes fit me, and the Raleigh is the 9 speed Sora with aluminum frame and carbon fork
That's a combo that serves well.
Old 11-30-15, 08:24 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posting the Craigslist links would be helpful.
Old 11-30-15, 08:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Get the Raleigh. The Klein is great if you are really into vintage bikes, and plan to meticulously maintain it and keep it alive forever. if not, leave it for someone who wants to do exactly that.

Aluminum Raleigh with a carbon fork and 9-speed Sora parts? Absolutely a great ride.

I have heard stuff about Sora brakes not being as good as some other Shimano brakes, but I have heard stuff about a lot of stuff. The brakes will stop the bike exactly as they are supposed to. (I had heard low-end Tektro brakes were really bad too ... until I actually used a set and found out the difference between hype and fact in that specific case.)

Also, you can buy a pair of Tiagra brakes for $42 on Nashbar. No reason to do that, but you have the option.

But yeah ... buy the Raleigh. It will last longer with a lot less maintenance and will give you all the performance you could need.
Old 12-01-15, 02:17 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
(I had heard low-end Tektro brakes were really bad too ... until I actually used a set and found out the difference between hype and fact in that specific case.)
I've got some high end Tektro brakes (CX9), and out the box, they stop, but aren't great, put some good pads on them (Swissstop BXP in my case), and they perform like high end brakes should. With most brakes, even low end ones, stick some good pads on them, and it will make poor performer into a good performer.
Old 12-01-15, 11:33 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
As jimc101 suggests, put Swissstop or Kool Stop pads on the Sora brakes and they'll work fine.
Old 12-02-15, 09:35 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Providing both bikes fit as stated, go with the Raleigh. The Klein is an awesome bike but it is also 25 years old, which means that there is probably some wear and tear on it. If the person has not ridden it much the tires may need to be replaced and that comes at a cost that you have to ad to the price.
As for the Sora groupset and brakes on the Raleigh, do not worry at all. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Sora. You have to remember that many of us on these boards are enthusiasts and often get carried away. With bikes, you pay for the lower weight. Sora is heavier than Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace. They are all excellent quality products that shift well and are reliable. As you go up the food chain the main difference is in weight, not shift quality. Also keep in mind that technology from groupsets works its way down. Thus, Sora of today is probably better than Dura Ace of 25 years ago.
If you buy either bike, take it to a LBS and have them give it a once over. They can tune it up and make sure that everything is functioning properly. This should alleviate any concerns that you have about the brakes. Again, do not worry about it. Sora is of excellent working quality. You will not out ride your groupset.