Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone use a drone to capture their riding experience?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 09:29 AM
logical
______

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ive been toying around with the idea of grabbing a drone to follow me while riding on my bike in some scenic areas. Has anyone picked up a drone for this same specific purpose? Did it work out well or become a complete disaster? Which drone did you use? I think it would be pretty cool to just have some footage. Something similar to the video below, nice footage taken fully autonomous.

Old 06-09-17, 09:34 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
This is a great idea. I don't know that I can control the drone while riding though? Is there some sort of automation?
Old 06-09-17, 09:36 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The drones that are programed to follow you work pretty well according to my friends.

You wear a little GPS tracker and tell the drone what kind of "footage" you want. It can circle you, follow you closely, follow you far, etc.

Obviously you have to make sure it won't hit anything and be sure you're allowed to fly drones where you want to ride.
Old 06-09-17, 09:46 AM
logical
______

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
This is a great idea. I don't know that I can control the drone while riding though? Is there some sort of automation?
Yes, the more expensive ones come with an active track feature where you tell it what to follow and it does its thing. As the poster mentioned above you just have to make sure to do it in an area where it wont be hitting things while trying to follow you.
Old 06-09-17, 10:03 AM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not to sidetrack this, but if anyone catches up to me during a ride, and I notice they are flying a drone, it is very likely they'll get an elbow to end up into the bushes or the ditch.
Then they can have their drone hover around and take all sorts of their intended footage of them.

I've thought about this quite a bit, and since my own safety and privacy matters a lot to me, I am fully prepared to execute what I am planning to in such occasions.
Any ensuing hostilities will be quashed on the spot.
Old 06-09-17, 10:07 AM
logical
______

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IK_biker
Not to sidetrack this, but if anyone catches up to me during a ride, and I notice they are flying a drone, it is very likely they'll get an elbow to end up into the bushes or the ditch.
Then they can have their drone hover around and take all sorts of their intended footage of them.

I've thought about this quite a bit, and since my own safety and privacy matters a lot to me, I am fully prepared to execute what I am planning to in such occasions.
The drone flies itself you wouldnt even know the person was in control of it unless they specifically told you. You might be elbowing random people if you hear a drone.
Old 06-09-17, 10:08 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

You can't have privacy in public.
Old 06-09-17, 10:14 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I think if you watch some of the fast downhill MTB videos, you will notice there may not be any other way to get that footage. Not sure, but it looks like it.
Old 06-09-17, 10:18 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
These guys got some real cool footage doing exactly that. Pro photographers, though, no clue how much coin you'd have to drop to get a setup like them.

it is very likely they'll get an elbow to end up into the bushes or the ditch.

Cool. I will then immediately contact the police, and you can worry about your privacy sitting in a jail cell waiting to be arraigned on battery charges.
Old 06-09-17, 10:27 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts

I try not comment on other posters while instead address the OP but this has to be one of the most inane comments ever written. Tell me when you walk into a bank, who you elbowing because you are being video taped? Do you travel, every think what happens in airport? Gone to Washington D.C. or better yet London England? You are being video taped all the time. Even your neighbours have video cameras protecting their houses as you ride by.

Though I live in Canada, we similar laws about privacy. I took photos of an aggressive driver. He got out and threw me into traffic, assaulted me, smashed my bike and broke my phone. He was arrested, charged and convicted of assault with a weapon x 2, assault and mischief x 2. He hired an expensive lawyer, went to to court five times before resolution and now has a criminal record for life but was spared jail time because it was his first offence. He paid me for the damages he caused. His excuse for this behaviour "I don't like to be photographed". The kicker, his mother was in his BMW watching the whole thing and yelled out the window after the assault, you shouldn't be taking pictures. I think I got the last laugh.

Bottom line when you are in public you have no expectation of privacy.
Old 06-09-17, 10:38 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
really boring videos IMO.
Old 06-09-17, 10:44 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel

Not to the narcissist.
Old 06-09-17, 10:50 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a hilarious post and reminds me of this.

which resulted in this

Driver Apologizes After Road Rage Caught On Camera « CBS Los Angeles

I'd love to see the news stories after you assault someone for no good reason, especially since the whole incident would be captured on camera, from a wide angle.
Old 06-09-17, 10:51 AM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
They just need to be edited correctly.

The other issue is that it's highly unlikely that the drone will have enough battery to last your whole ride, so you'll need to carry it most of the way.
Old 06-09-17, 10:52 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I think if you watch some of the fast downhill MTB videos, you will notice there may not be any other way to get that footage. Not sure, but it looks like it.
Good footage typically uses two drone operators. The first person flies the drone, the second operates the camera. The alternative is the drone following a pre-defined path with someone operating the camera.

It may look like someone is by themselves but there's a whole film crew with a lot of takes.
Old 06-09-17, 10:53 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
And if I'm running a GoPro on the handlebars does that automatically get me kicked into the bushes?
Old 06-09-17, 10:55 AM
gilpi

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
My wife bought me a GoPro so I can mount on my helmet or bike to take video of some of my rides. Thought about it and even in my most picturesque, scenic rides, I thought it'd be a very boring video. I think the novelty would wear off very quickly, I made her return it. The drone thing might be a bit more interesting but don't know if it would be worth the trouble unless someone was making a once in a lifetime video like Iceland in Ten Days or similar.
Then, the cost vs what you get out of either didn't make sense to me.

Last edited by gilpi; 06-09-17 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-09-17, 10:56 AM
gilpi

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
And if I'm running a GoPro on the handlebars does that automatically get me kicked into the bushes?
Yes
Old 06-09-17, 11:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Cool. I will then immediately contact the police, and you can worry about your privacy sitting in a jail cell waiting to be arraigned on battery charges.
The best part is that the police will have all the video evidence they need.

Btw...****
Old 06-09-17, 11:06 AM
logical
______

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
They just need to be edited correctly.

The other issue is that it's highly unlikely that the drone will have enough battery to last your whole ride, so you'll need to carry it most of the way.
I only intend to use it for certain scenic parts of a ride so a max of maybe 10 minutes of actual footage. A spare battery will help if I need a bit of extra juice.
Old 06-09-17, 11:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
We used to take photos of other people, things and places we have been. Now we have selfie sticks and drones to take pictures of ourselves.

I've nothing against drones and it might be nice to have a video of myself in specific places but I find much of the focus on self to be very narcissistic.

Spending hundreds of dollars to take video of myself which no one else really cares about certainly isn't something I want to do.

-Tim-
Old 06-09-17, 11:15 AM
logical
______

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well the focus is not really myself but the areas I have been. Most of the video would be showing me in the shot but more of the landscape. Some of the hills in LA can be quite scenic and so is PCH and the strand(beach path).

The drone would also double as a vacation drone for getting some nice footage. I have a trip to kauai coming up in a month and it would be nice to have some cool shots of places Ive been. Of course none of it is ever needed but its cool to look back upon.
Old 06-09-17, 11:17 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
We used to take photos of other people, things and places we have been. Now we have selfie sticks and drones to take pictures of ourselves.
I've nothing against drones and it might be nice to have a video of myself in specific places but I find much of the focus on self to be very narcissistic.
Spending hundreds of dollars to take video of myself which no one else really cares about certainly isn't something I want to do.
-Tim-
yep
, then again maybe we are too ugly
Old 06-09-17, 11:19 AM
hagak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gilpi
My wife bought me a GoPro so I can mount on my helmet or bike to take video of some of my rides. Thought about it and even in my most picturesque, scenic rides, I thought it'd be a very boring video. I think the novelty would wear off very quickly, I made her return it. The drone thing might be a bit more interesting but don't know if it would be worth the trouble unless someone was making a once in a lifetime video like Iceland in Ten Days or similar.
Then, the cost vs what you get out of either didn't make sense to me.
Maybe your wife would think they are interesting? FYI - Mine does not
Old 06-09-17, 11:37 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Just make sure it doesn't fall on someone's property and causes some damage. Does anyone remember that video not so long ago of a drone making someone wreck in a race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.